Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel advise

Sit Down Shut Up!

Travel advise

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all

my wife and I are trying to plan a big holiday for my 30th in July. We have 3 kids 8,4 and 2, we want this to be a one off big trip.

Our idea is along the lines of hiring a big RV for 2/3 weeks and going to a few different places. She would like to go to Australia whilst I'm more up for America. Has anyone done anything similar with kids and have any recommendations? Most of what I've found online seems to be geared towards people with older children or single travelers.

Any help would be much appreciated

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      I've got a great idea....it's your birthday trip, make your own decision ?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Try the road trips forum of Tripadvisor.

You will however find that having an RV works out more expensive than car plus hotel.

The grand circle of south west USA is a great trip,but IMO your kids are too young to appreciate such a trip. Just my opinions though of course.
      Thanks Robbie - one day we'll name a stand after you.

1 Not allowed!
      Obviuosly the list is endless and depends on many things such as budget. But one i would throw in is South Africa. Overnight flight, no jet lag. Cape town and area is fantastic, weather lovely. Sterling goes far.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Did a bit of traveling in America with young kids. America is very kid friendly and easy, so no worries there. The only problem is that things are so damn far apart, so it can be boring as hell for the kids if you find yourself on the road all day, day after day. I'd advise careful planning to visit a specific small area, and to stay a few days at a time in places.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Not either Aus or US, but we did Costa Rica for 3 weeks last year - hired a SUV, did rain forest, cloud forest, Zip lines, then beaches and boat rips with surfing lessons - over 1200 miles but could have done and seen a lot more too. Kids of 8 and 9 Y/old.

Costa Fortune but a brilliant holiday, highly recommended.
      I Know What I Like, And I Like What I See..
      It's All Blue And White....!

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Blues Rock DJ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've got a great idea....it's your birthday trip, make your own decision ?
      It's easier to make the right decision if you get good advice. What is the point of this mean-spirited response?

0 Not allowed!
      I would not fancy a road trip with three kids of that age - too young to understand what they are seeing, too likely to have a meltdown with long days travelling. I'd do the West coast of America, by train.

0 Not allowed!
      Few years back I did a three week trip with family! Not RV but fly/drive type doing Pan Handle! Started off in Miami then up to Tampa (beaches top draw), Tallahassee National park, to Jacksonville and finished off 8/9 days in Orlando(Disney). Couldn't have done it any better! A lot of driving for first 11 days but it was a great way to finish holiday! Kids had something to look forward to at the end of the trip and very minimal driving once in Orlando!
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      2 year old won't appreciate / remember - RV to them is same as a caravan on Camber Sands - wait till they are teenagers ...