Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel advise

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Hi all

my wife and I are trying to plan a big holiday for my 30th in July. We have 3 kids 8,4 and 2, we want this to be a one off big trip.

Our idea is along the lines of hiring a big RV for 2/3 weeks and going to a few different places. She would like to go to Australia whilst I'm more up for America. Has anyone done anything similar with kids and have any recommendations? Most of what I've found online seems to be geared towards people with older children or single travelers.

Any help would be much appreciated

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Try the road trips forum of Tripadvisor.

You will however find that having an RV works out more expensive than car plus hotel.

The grand circle of south west USA is a great trip,but IMO your kids are too young to appreciate such a trip. Just my opinions though of course.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Obviuosly the list is endless and depends on many things such as budget. But one i would throw in is South Africa. Overnight flight, no jet lag. Cape town and area is fantastic, weather lovely. Sterling goes far.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Did a bit of traveling in America with young kids. America is very kid friendly and easy, so no worries there. The only problem is that things are so damn far apart, so it can be boring as hell for the kids if you find yourself on the road all day, day after day. I'd advise careful planning to visit a specific small area, and to stay a few days at a time in places.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Not either Aus or US, but we did Costa Rica for 3 weeks last year - hired a SUV, did rain forest, cloud forest, Zip lines, then beaches and boat rips with surfing lessons - over 1200 miles but could have done and seen a lot more too. Kids of 8 and 9 Y/old.

Costa Fortune but a brilliant holiday, highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I would not fancy a road trip with three kids of that age - too young to understand what they are seeing, too likely to have a meltdown with long days travelling. I'd do the West coast of America, by train.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Few years back I did a three week trip with family! Not RV but fly/drive type doing Pan Handle! Started off in Miami then up to Tampa (beaches top draw), Tallahassee National park, to Jacksonville and finished off 8/9 days in Orlando(Disney). Couldn't have done it any better! A lot of driving for first 11 days but it was a great way to finish holiday! Kids had something to look forward to at the end of the trip and very minimal driving once in Orlando!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Did Australia in a car made for 5 but with six of us. A bit cramped until one of our less bright travellers went for a wee in a creek and a crocodile took him for lunch. Made it a lot more comfortable after that. :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thing about Australia is that its sparsly populated away from the coast and places of interest are very far apart. US on the other hand you can do coast to shining coast in 3 weeks taking in loads of things along the way.

having toured Europe with family in youth, not sure i'd do it with 2 and 4 yo, they wouldn't remember or appreciate it and difficult to entertain for hours on the road. Florida road trip to cover the Orlando, Keys, Tampa is the answer here, or maybe similar focus around California?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Hi all

my wife and I are trying to plan a big holiday for my 30th in July. We have 3 kids 8,4 and 2, we want this to be a one off big trip.

Our idea is along the lines of hiring a big RV for 2/3 weeks and going to a few different places. She would like to go to Australia whilst I'm more up for America. Has anyone done anything similar with kids and have any recommendations? Most of what I've found online seems to be geared towards people with older children or single travelers.

Any help would be much appreciated

Remember, in much of Australia you are still in winter (sort of). Unless you go to the north where it is pretty warm. I'm not sure the area round Darwin will be full of the water scenery as I think that comes in May during the rainy season. (Excuse foggy knowledge- it was twenty years ago I lived in Australia). Cairns is a bit humid and a party town. Australia is a fine place but I wouldn't encourage anyone to make it a lifetime ambition. As for the U.S, I have never been inclined to go. I see enough of it on the news.

I guess it depends what you want. If I had a blank canvass I'd tour Europe for two or three weeks.

I like the 'single traveler' reference. If you don't get it right are you being sent on your own ? :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for your input, we make our decisions based on what is best for us all as a family and want to find something suitable for us all.

Good work on being a dick head though.

Well said.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You can't do much in Australia in 3 weeks - it took me a year to do about half of it !!!! Why not go to a really top notch all inclusive in the Caribbean instead. All food and drink included and if you go to a decent resort there will be decent places to visit outside the resort itself.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
think the clue is in my post ? Decide yourself as not all tastes are to yours, maybe ?

:ffsparr:

Clearly he will decide himself. But other people may have had experiences that appeal to him. By your 'logic', nobody should ever seek advice from anyone else, about anything at all.

When people give me advice, I act on it if it suits me. And I am grateful for their input even if it doesn't.

Except if it is aggressively dismissive, like your contribution was.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here