Drum for the Reading game?

• No

Votes: 119 61.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 76 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jan 30, 2008
Everybody that is passionate enough about improving our home support should really have made more effort to transmit their opinions during the safe-standing debate.

No, it is not a return to terracing but safe-standing in the North would absolutely transform the atmosphere much moreso than a drum, because people who actually want to get involved would be more widespread than just the back few rows.

Already mentioned before the demographic in the North is not what it needs to be and the only way to improve it is to shake things up. Some might argue installing the rail-seating is an irrelevance, just a means to an end in order to shake up the demographic in the stand since people will stand regardless i.e.. forcing someone who wants to sit in silence out, and somebody who wants to get involved will move in.
are there any old skool North standers in the North stand these days ?, sounds like its been infiltrated by geeks and sit down clap your hand merchants :shrug:
regards
DR

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
To be clear.... no one is suggesting there is a lack of atmosphere, this is an attempt to bring the North Stand together as one and further IMPROVE the atmosphere.

Slate it, cristicise it, rule it out.. but at least give it a chance first IMO.

We would most likely end up with two drums, with two different beats!

The atmosphere in the North Stand isn't as bad when you are IN the North Stand. There are clearly acoustic issues with the stadium and they have been discussed, in detail, on here before and some games when we have been loud, those in WSU i ask often have heard nothing!

Safe standing and bringing all the singers together might work. But first you need to sort the egos of those leading the two groups of singers. Therein lies the problem methinks.

Can you imagine the bickering and drama sorting out who gets to bang the drum? Sheesh.

And after the drum? Cheerleaders? Goal music? Light shows? Where does it all end huh?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've been ruminating on it a bit more and I think my issues boil down to:

Why should the rest of us have that ******* racket forced on us because a couple hundred adults in the North Stand can't clap in time? What about those of us where watching the f**king football is the primary motivator for going to the f**king football?

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
We would most likely end up with two drums, with two different beats!

The atmosphere in the North Stand isn't as bad when you are IN the North Stand. There are clearly acoustic issues with the stadium and they have been discussed, in detail, on here before and some games when we have been loud, those in WSU i ask often have heard nothing!

Safe standing and bringing all the singers together might work. But first you need to sort the egos of those leading the two groups of singers. Therein lies the problem methinks.

Can you imagine the bickering and drama sorting out who gets to bang the drum? Sheesh.

And after the drum? Cheerleaders? Goal music? Light shows? Where does it all end huh?

Has anyone actually looked at our home record this year or last year and still thinks we need to improve the atmosphere as we don't do that badly to be honest. Of course we could have a drummer, goal music, paper displays, t shirt cannon and have the wonderful home record that Palace have at cauldron Selhurst, or even more terrifying is that awesome noise at The Mad Stad? Stay as we are, he ain't broke so why try to fix something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
If the drummer is Steve Ferrone, then 'yes'.

If the drummer is not Steve Ferrone, then 'no'.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Give it a go and use it sparingly. Don't need it for some chants, could be good for others. "We're on our way" would be good with, "We are the North/Wests Stand' not.
Just don't have some twunt banging the f***ing thing for 90 mins, please.:shootself

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
If there is a less intrusive way for the North Stand singing areas to combine and sing in unison then I'd be all for that option.

A drum may work, but I don't think it would be any more effective than a main singing section being positioned centrally behind the goal. Problem is, of course, that would probably mean moving people around to accommodate and that's unlikely to happen.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Has anyone asked the club if a drum would be allowed in ? If not all this is irrelevant. I think/hope atmosphere for next 2 home games will be rocking anyway, if we can't get up for these, it'll take more than a drum to fix it

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't get this opposition to the chant of Albion, Albion. it is one of the few that all four stands join in so whats the problem.

It's the loudest chant at the Amex, granted. Personally I don't like it because I don't see why we changed from the old version of Al-bi-on, I think that was better. The new one is a bit dreary. Doesn't stop me singing it though, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I attended the World Club Cup Championship Final in Abu Dhabi, Estudiantes against Barca. The police searched me and confiscated a pen. Meanwhile the Estudiantes Fans bought in a bass drum, a snare drum, cymbals and two Cornets. They did not stop playing/singing for 4 hours. I joined in for every song although the words were a mystery. One Spanish song sounded like 'I love you baby' for which I sang the English version. Terrific atmosphere/ Would have been a little flat without the band. A drum would be great.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm sorry but I don't agree.
To me there's quite clearly an animosity with fans actively trying to sing over the chant started elsewhere.

I'll be more than happy to be wrong after playing a little closer attention, but that certainly isn't my gut feeling.
It happens too often to be a victim of circumstance.

Odd that the same thing doesn't happen away (usually).........think it must be the distance between the 'starters', only a few to begin with and can't be heard at opposite ends of the North maybe so not sure it is deliberate.

Making the whole of the North safe standing, allowing those that want to move in/out to do so pre-season and maybe trialling a drum in the middle, that is used sparingly by someone who knows what they're doing, would possibly be the answer ?

Drums in constant use are a right pain in the arse, but to kick off chants and/or keep them going/in time they have a place IMHO.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've been ruminating on it a bit more and I think my issues boil down to:

Why should the rest of us have that ******* racket forced on us because a couple hundred adults in the North Stand can't clap in time? What about those of us where watching the f**king football is the primary motivator for going to the f**king football?

If you're in the North and don't like noise, or indeed the possibility of making noise whilst still watching the football then i'd suggest you're in the wrong stand. I don't agree with a drum mind.

Also, a couple of hundred clapping? From my view the whole stand claps, even the mutes sitting from more than half way down. It's about the only noise they make all game other than the clamber of footsteps for their half time fill.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Odd that the same thing doesn't happen away (usually).........think it must be the distance between the 'starters', only a few to begin with and can't be heard at opposite ends of the North maybe so not sure it is deliberate.

Making the whole of the North safe standing, allowing those that want to move in/out to do so pre-season and maybe trialling a drum in the middle, that is used sparingly by someone who knows what they're doing, would possibly be the answer ?

Those trying to create an atmosphere extend accross the back few rows, the sound travels forwards well but not so well laterally.

They are not competing, they can't hear each other.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Fair enough, but I just don't get the attitude of giving up watching the team you support because of a drum ???
I take you never go to away games?

Thanks. Yes, I do. I live 130 miles from the Amex so away games are not such a pain for me. Maybe it's an age thing but everything on TV, even commentators introducing highlights, has annoying high speed, almost dance music playing in the background. Every single shop has pap crap music blasting out. I love music but I don't want it as an an accompaniment to my entire life. Sometimes I just want the noise of what it is I'm doing/watching. As, I say, it's probably an age thing - I've been following the Albion for 50 years and I'm well and truly into the grumpy stage of life!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My fault , didn't realise you went to Hillsborough every game as well.

As per the other examples Boro, Huddersfield, they have it every game and the more you do it, fans will get to know what the score is and join in.
You don't give it a go then you will never know.

I've seen Wednesday enough over the years to know that their atmosphere is NOTHING like that play-off game. A big game doesn't need a drum as our game proved, people are up for it in that case anyway. However I will concede that a skillful drummer can aid the atmosphere in a quiet game. But conversely, a drum just banged away on with about a couple hundred fans joining in sounds terrible.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I've seen Wednesday enough over the years to know that their atmosphere is NOTHING like that play-off game. A big game doesn't need a drum as our game proved, people are up for it in that case anyway. However I will concede that a skillful drummer can aid the atmosphere in a quiet game. But conversely, a drum just banged away on with about a couple hundred fans joining in sounds terrible.

Totally agree, sounds sh!t ala Accrington Stanley when just a couple of hundred join in, but I doubt that would happen as we have vocal support and numbers albeit at different speeds and times.
I was against it to start with and would love it to be like the old North stand at the Goldstone, but it's not so at least give it a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here