• Yes

Votes: 76 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Thanks. Yes, I do. I live 130 miles from the Amex so away games are not such a pain for me. Maybe it's an age thing but everything on TV, even commentators introducing highlights, has annoying high speed, almost dance music playing in the background. Every single shop has pap crap music blasting out. I love music but I don't want it as an an accompaniment to my entire life. Sometimes I just want the noise of what it is I'm doing/watching. As, I say, it's probably an age thing - I've been following the Albion for 50 years and I'm well and truly into the grumpy stage of life!

I think most that oppose it are of a certain age, but times change and you have to move on. As stated, I was against it but for the life of me I would rather we had a go at it and got it right than having to listen to songs at warp factor 10.
As you I live 130 miles away from the Amex and have followed the Albion for 45 years plus but wouldn't jack it all in because of a drum.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If you're in the North and don't like noise, or indeed the possibility of making noise whilst still watching the football then i'd suggest you're in the wrong stand. I don't agree with a drum mind.

Also, a couple of hundred clapping? From my view the whole stand claps, even the mutes sitting from more than half way down. It's about the only noise they make all game other than the clamber of footsteps for their half time fill.

Nah I'm WSU.

I was mostly being facetious. My overall point was that people should be able to keep time. It's not like our chants have been written by Rush.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Never mind the drum what we need is somebody standing on a box behind the goal just conducting the singing surely:ascarf:

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
I'm sorry but I don't agree.
To me there's quite clearly an animosity with fans actively trying to sing over the chant started elsewhere.

I'll be more than happy to be wrong after playing a little closer attention, but that certainly isn't my gut feeling.
It happens too often to be a victim of circumstance.

Ok well we can agree to differ. However we don't have this problem away when both alleged 'factions' mix and I've never seen anyone on here from either 'side' accusing the other of singing over them. I've also met singers from the middle and Police box who don't have an issue with each other but say they can't always hear what's going on further down especially when they are belting out a song.

In the old north and away it was simple - just gather in the middle and join in or start a song when there is a lull. IMO the idea of competition is an Assumption.

Ipswich have a drummer and you know how embarrassing that is when everyone else in the ground think they're in a bloody library!
We don't need a drum, we just need the North stand united to sing together! It's amazing how powerful it sounds when the North stands gets the whole ground singing!
But I'm in agreement with some on here, that the players have to play their part. If they go at Reading from the start, then we won't need much encouragement

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Ipswich have a drummer and you know how embarrassing that is when everyone else in the ground think they're in a bloody library!
We don't need a drum, we just need the North stand united to sing together!

ANd there is the contradiction. 5 years at the Amex and still people cannot sing in time, still do GOSBTS at hyperspeed and every other song at 200 miles an hour hence why we probably need a drum to keep people in time even if we do not like to admit it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We don't need a drum, we just need the North stand united to sing together! It's amazing how powerful it sounds when the North stands gets the whole ground singing!
But I'm in agreement with some on here, that the players have to play their part. If they go at Reading from the start, then we won't need much encouragement

Yup! It's the bit I have bolded that is the key here.

Several years ago (probably) the club wrote to all NS STHs saying they were looking at putting all the singers together in one group. Nothing happened! Hardly a surprise given that the options were to move people around which would have been a logistical nightmare, or to introduce a Safe Standing area where the singers could all congregate together. As we know, our CEO opposed Safe Standing from the outset so little surprise that hasn't happened either.

I'm not aware of any animosity between the two main singing groups either but as someone who stands almost equidistant between the two groups it is a bloody nightmare! Have to say that the NSK have more and newer songs, some of which are very good (eg the Steve Sidwell Song and the recent "Your worse than The Complete And Utter Shyster" ditty) that get swamped by the more traditional songs of the other group.

The resolution is in the club's hands. If change is to happen, it needs to happen now before STs are renewed. If the will is there, the club can make it happen. If they (by which I mean our CEO!!) don't have that will, there isn't much more we, as fans, can do and we are likely to continue to have the same issue, and same criticisms, for seasons to come.

Becktheman

Jul 7, 2015
Went to the Reading game last season and the most annoying thing was the constant thumping sound of the drum. I really can't see how it helps the players.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
That was Burton, you nimrod.

Come back here after the Reading game and tell us we need a drum.
If you're right then, then fine let's get a drum as it'll be clear to all we really are a piss poor set of fans.

No one said after the Wednesday play off game:-

'you know what we need...

...a drum'.

I'm not an advocate for a drum! But on the subject of the Wednesday play-off game we haven't managed to reach those heights all season! There seems to be more atmosphere in the North concourse after matches!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not an advocate for a drum! But on the subject of the Wednesday play-off game we haven't managed to reach those heights all season! There seems to be more atmosphere in the North concourse after matches!
As said a bit further on:-

Using the Burton game as the yard stick for measurement is as stupid as me countering with the Wednesday play off game.

Youtube would certainly seem to back that up.

If all things remain even and the Blackburn match becomes 'just another game', it'll be another snore-fest, very much a case of 'after the lord mayor's parade'.
The fact that I imagine we're all pretty much agreement on that, suggests a drum isn't the cure all many seem to think it'll be.

Amazingly even the Derby match could go the same way, although the fixtures suggest they might have got their pooh together by then

There seems to be more atmosphere in the North concourse after matches!

As probably mentioned before, alcohol has a key part generally speaking hence away atmospheres usually better for all clubs.

The 5:30 kick off gives plenty of opportunity for the wall flowers to have a skinful and get brave enough to join in a song or two.

PS if you're in the BN10 area FOR BHA ST HOLDERS there is FREE admission to Peacehaven v Wick . So you can come in from half one, have a few beers, watch the first half of an epic six pointer and still have time to catch the bus and the 4:30ish train from Newhaven

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I know, why don't we bring these back?
Untitled_zpsc0c40f8c.png

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
It's the loudest chant at the Amex, granted. Personally I don't like it because I don't see why we changed from the old version of Al-bi-on, I think that was better. The new one is a bit dreary. Doesn't stop me singing it though, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, at least every body knows the words!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here