Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Global warming - What's your "opinion"?

Which best fits your view?

• All the evidence suggests it's real and human actions are a major contributor.

Votes: 194 81.2%
  • It's happening but it's not man-made.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • It's a myth.

Votes: 15 6.3%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Global warming - What's your "opinion"?

What I don't understand is what the climate change skeptics are so afraid of doing?

It hasn't been conclusively proven that my house is going to burn down, yet I change the battery on my smoke alarm every six months.

Most of the things we need to do to protect us from climate change are going to help the planet in other ways.

Genuine question here but why don't we hedge our bets here and have a genuine crack at reducing CO2 and see if that starts to reduce temperature? What is the down side of this approach?

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Hmm, appears that NASA doesn't agree with you.

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...ns-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses

As quoted by this article

But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica’s growth to reverse, according to Zwally. “If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years -- I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses

Confirmation bias...lazy research. Please read your own sources. EDIT: additionally, it isn't actually NASA who disagrees with me. It's the article published in the said journal of glaciology.....

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Bloody hell it is scary to think that, currently, around 15% of people on this board fall for the media manipulation that it is not man-made or not even happening! Truly truly scary.

Genuine question : what media bias against it ? I believe that there is a high likelihood of man made global warming and whenever I see/hear a discussion in the media that seems the general consensus...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What I don't understand is what the climate change skeptics are so afraid of doing?

It hasn't been conclusively proven that my house is going to burn down, yet I change the battery on my smoke alarm every six months.

Most of the things we need to do to protect us from climate change are going to help the planet in other ways.

Genuine question here but why don't we hedge our bets here and have a genuine crack at reducing CO2 and see if that starts to reduce temperature? What is the down side of this approach?

You are completely right reduced co2 and reduce generation pollution whilst we're at it. Hopefully Trump cannot derail the green revolution the planet needs

larus

As quoted by this article

But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica’s growth to reverse, according to Zwally. “If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years -- I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses

Confirmation bias...lazy research. Please read your own sources. EDIT: additionally, it isn't actually NASA who disagrees with me. It's the article published in the said journal of glaciology.....

Jesus Christ. How many more weasel words do you want to use to back your case?

It states that Antarctic land ice is increasing, but, so he stays "on message" he caveats lots of stuff to maybe link this to globull warming.
Oh, and the Western Peninsula is impacted by geothermal activity. Look at where the fault lines are and the underground heat from those which will be impacting the area.

larus

Co2 is plant food.
More Co2 is good for the planet.
Co2 has been much higher in the past (7000 ppm) and the planet has never burn to a crisp.
Slightly warmer temperatures wiould be good for the planet - cold is a much bigger killer than heat.

I know you won't believe this and many won't as they get their 'information' from the MSM.

I have done a lot of reading on the subject and I used to belive in Global Warming, but then after doing a lot of reading I reached the conclusion that the science is not settled and there are many, many uns answered questions.

But, trying to have a sensible debate with people who are closed and just absorb what they read on the BBC, Guardian, etc. is futile.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Co2 is plant food.
More Co2 is good for the planet.
Co2 has been much higher in the past (7000 ppm) and the planet has never burn to a crisp.
Slightly warmer temperatures wiould be good for the planet - cold is a much bigger killer than heat.

I know you won't believe this and many won't as they get their 'information' from the MSM.

I have done a lot of reading on the subject and I used to belive in Global Warming, but then after doing a lot of reading I reached the conclusion that the science is not settled and there are many, many uns answered questions.

But, trying to have a sensible debate with people who are closed and just absorb what they read on the BBC, Guardian, etc. is futile.

With all due repect here Larus, if your reading on the subject is anything like your reading of my post then i would take it with a grain of salt as you have not addressed a single point I made.

So I will try again.

My question is not about the validity of the science or proving manmade climate change is or is not a reality. It is more about the action we take based on what we know.

You seem to be suggesting here that you believe that man-made climate change is a possibility? I suspect that all we differ on in this debate is the size of that possibility.

My question is, why not take steps based on that possibility? I don't understand which of the proposed solutions you think will have a negative effect?

Renewable energy is a necessity anyway as we are running out of fossil fuels.
Cleaner emissions can hardly be a bad thing can it, reducing smog and other polutants has got to be better for our health.
Recycling makes our limited resources last longer.

Am I missing something that is so bad that it isn't worth trying just in case it is real?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If you live long enough the sun will gradually get hotter and larger as it ages. It will exhaust its fuel and turn into a red giant, so large it may even consume the Earth. By this time any people left will have to move to a new solar system. We are currently in a interglacial period, where some scientists are saying that man made climate change is delaying the next ice age which is overdue. Maybe not a bad thing for us humans at this present time.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Bloody hell it is scary to think that, currently, around 15% of people on this board fall for the media manipulation that it is not man-made or not even happening! Truly truly scary.

Works both ways, not so long ago The Sun was reporting that all the cows farting was causing global warming.
:moo:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Works both ways, not so long ago The Sun was reporting that all the cows farting was causing global warming.
:moo:

Methane is a contributing factor to climate change, I think there is a discussion about how much of a factor it is.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-14/impact-of-cattle-on-methane-emissions-downgraded/7027088

However much of a contribution it makes to climate change though, the meat industry is a huge environmental problem in other areas. Would it be so bad if as a global community we farmed and ate less meat?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Remember when we were told we would all have to live underground because the ozone hole was getting bigger by the day and we would soon be frazzled by the sun if were to be out in it for more that 1minute ,, ,,all gone quiet now it's closed up again !! Ice caps melting well there is more ice now than there was 5 year's. Ago !! People used to panic about the Martian's landing in the 50s !!
Erm... the reason that the hole in the ozone layer has started closing up is precisely because we took action to stop causing damage to it.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Anyone thinking of going to the Maldives any time soon need to think again.
At least it's a divers paradise, it will need to be to get into your hotel.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Jesus Christ. How many more weasel words do you want to use to back your case?

It states that Antarctic land ice is increasing, but, so he stays "on message" he caveats lots of stuff to maybe link this to globull warming.
Oh, and the Western Peninsula is impacted by geothermal activity. Look at where the fault lines are and the underground heat from those which will be impacting the area.

You have to be trolling, you've put text in bold in a quote of the article you submitted :ffsparr:

I suppose you have a PhD in geography? Not a single piece of academic evidence. Your own source states that there isn't enough snowfall to off set loss of ice...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If you live long enough the sun will gradually get hotter and larger as it ages. It will exhaust its fuel and turn into a red giant, so large it may even consume the Earth. By this time any people left will have to move to a new solar system. We are currently in a interglacial period, where some scientists are saying that man made climate change is delaying the next ice age which is overdue. Maybe not a bad thing for us humans at this present time.
Source for your last statement please... and don't do a Larus and post a piece that contradicts your argument.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

But, trying to have a sensible debate with people who are closed and just absorb what they read on the BBC, Guardian.

the man has spoken, the man without an ounce of credibility in the field of climate science has read a lot on the subject and therefore anyone who proposes an alternative point of view is wrong.

Including academics who research this subject as a career..

Yes, it's happening and CO2 clearly casuses it and us humans make a fair bit of CO2 and other greenhouse gasses.

However, even if we continue to try and be good, it's a pinprick of an irrelevance. One Super Volcanic erruption (which sadly will happen) will emit more greenhouses gasses in 1 hour that human kind has emmited for 500 years.

We should concentrate of lowering pollutants and cleaning our air to improve local conditions. Humans can have a big impact here so lets do what we can where we can make a difference and not pretend to be able to do something when our efforts won't have one iota of impact

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Source for your last statement please... and don't do a Larus and post a piece that contradicts your argument.

This is the life cycle of stars and has been documented by researchers who have studied many of them at various stages of this development throughout the cosmos.
It will indeed happen to our sun, but not for another 4billion years or so, according to predictions.
We will have probably killed each other off or be extinct by some other action like asteroid impact etc. by then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here