Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Global warming - What's your "opinion"?

Which best fits your view?

• All the evidence suggests it's real and human actions are a major contributor.

Votes: 194 81.2%
  • It's happening but it's not man-made.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • It's a myth.

Votes: 15 6.3%

• Total voters

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Thread started in response to a post on another thread.

Despite overwhelming scientific consensus, it seems some people still harbour doubts about global warming/climate change.

So what do you think? The scientists are right or are they driven by a shady leftist agenda :)

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes it's happening but also waiting for the next ICE age that will come for sure as eggs are eggs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can't really do opinion on things that are scientifically verified fact.

The reason it could ever be in question is that a lot of people with a lot of money have very strong vested interests in is continuing to use fossil fuels. We could've had electric cars decades ago. They're being held back intentionally.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It is clearly happening, and it is almost universally accepted by environmental scientists that human activity is the prime factor in its development.

But these scientists are experts, aren't they, and the populists don't trust experts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's a scientific fact.

too much manipulation of data, unverified models, political interference to throw "scientific fact" into it. probability rules environment science, not hard empirical evidence from repeatable experiment.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

The reason it could ever be in question is that a lot of people with a lot of money have very strong vested interests in is continuing to use fossil fuels. We could've had electric cars decades ago. They're being held back intentionally.

Which is a big problem when those people have influence over governments.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-13/coal-is-good-for-humanity-pm-tony-abbott-says/5810244

What the world needs now is more coal mines :facepalm:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-...adani-and-the-carmichael-mine-project/8094244

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Despite overwhelming scientific consensus, it seems some people still harbour doubts about global warming/climate change.

So what do you think? The scientists are right or are they driven by a shady leftist agenda :)

As far as I'm aware global warming is a scientific fact. The debate is over what to do about it
or whether to do nothing about it as some believe it is cyclical. Is this another example of a debate being incorrectly framed to create distrust ? As a by the by I am of the view that we should do everything we can to minimize global warming but
I don't want my view misrepresented to bash others of differing views over the head with false accusations of ignorance.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So far the poll results are EXACTLY what you'd expect from a left leaning city that elects a bloody Green MP.

Global warming periods, like global ice-ages are cyclical. In due course, but not in any of our lifetimes, we'll start moving towards another ice age .... and then the lefties and Greens of the future will be blaming the world population for not burning enough fossil fuels to keep the world warm.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

As a general ignoramus in this subject, i think global warming is part true, part myth.

There's no doubt that the tons of CO2 pumped into the earths atmosphere since the industrial revolution has had an effect. However, I'm not sure there's enough long term scientific evidence to say that is without doubt the main reason for global warming.

We only have a couple of hundred years worth of data, which in the scheme of things is really not that long enough a period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So far the poll results are EXACTLY what you'd expect from a left leaning city that elects a bloody Green MP.

Global warming periods, like global ice-ages are cyclical. In due course, but not in any of our lifetimes, we'll start moving towards another ice age .... and then the lefties and Greens of the future will be blaming the world population for not burning enough fossil fuels to keep the world warm.

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals (http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048002) show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. Click on the first link for a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

This lot also agree:

https://www.opr.ca.gov/s_listoforganizations.php

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

CO2 levels are higher than they have been for many millions of years. That is not cyclical and the cause of the CO2 level over 400ppm is clearly man-made. What the impact is is still a matter for debate, but global warming is predicted and global warming is happening, so putting two and two together...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
too much manipulation of data, unverified models, political interference to throw "scientific fact" into it. probability rules environment science, not hard empirical evidence from repeatable experiment.

How much did you receive for this post? Or the one about Wikipedia? Or the countless ones about economics? Or the one about your profession in healthcare metrics?

Irrespective of the drivel in this post, climate change is the most studied phenomena in the history of science, precisely because its effects are -- are as well as will be, as they're with us now -- so profound. There's no probability about the rapid spike in extreme weather events, the fact that the global temperature has risen by about 1C since the start of the industrial revolution, the melting of the ice caps, the rise in concentration of carbon in the atmosphere nor that there is a delay in heightened carbon levels translating into increased temperatures. There also is no probability that we continue to pump higher carbon emissions into the atmosphere, which means that the chances of keeping below 2C are rapidly receding.
There also is no probability in libertarians, neoliberals and Trumpers (those that emit lots of hot, smelly gas) continuing to spout nonsense on such matters, and that some of these will get paid for the privilege of doing so.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As far as I'm aware global warming is a scientific fact. The debate is over what to do about it
or whether to do nothing about it as some believe it is cyclical. Is this another example of a debate being incorrectly framed to create distrust ? As a by the by I am of the view that we should do everything we can to minimize global warming but
I don't want my view misrepresented to bash others of differing views over the head with false accusations of ignorance.

I don't think it's being incorrectly framed. People are free to say what they want and hopefully back it up with some evidence.

larus

2016 - the warmest year "Ever". It was the warmest year by 0.02c, yet the margin of error on the global temperature datasets is 0.1c. Another point to bear in mind is that both of these hottest years were El-Nino years where the pacific releases a lot of heat into the atmosphere. The globull warming scientists (who are constantly chasing funding for their research projects) are trying extrapolate 20-30 years worth of data and say this is driving temperatures.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Most data shows little or no warming of the South Pole over 150 years,The North pole has data over the last 50 or so years....

500 years ago the Earth was flat... We are more aware today,we would be foolish to believe the Ice caps will note return.

***where is the option for It is happening but man has played a minor part in it***

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

before the widesread use of renewalable energy, how would you have generated all the power all those electric cars? electric cars of decades ago would be milk floats, and even today offer significant disadvantages to petrol. hardly being held back, there's been desperate attempts to promote electic cars in the past decade or two and the problems are unresolved, and mostly technical - very dificult to make batteries that last and perform anywere near energy density of petrol/internal combustion engine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here