Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From a Barnsley Forum

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
great use of the English language

First heyf evenly matched wi booath sides missing chances. Frum weear aar wo sat it looked like a pen.

Second heyf they were mooar clinical wi chances. Key moment when Hammill side footed ovva bar at 0-1. They saw the game art effectively.

Not an arseoyling from a team top of the league but they shaded it ovva 90 mins.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I like that, I shall be using it.

Arseoyling: The act of lubricating ones rectum with ejaculatory fluid, particularly popular in northern England where it is commonly used in the covert smuggling of racing pigeons.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
And the FFP rears its head again

"Brighton are going up this time and they have a good boss in Chris Hughton.
I have no time for clubs like theirs though who ignore the financial fair play rules (if they do or did ever exist)."

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And the FFP rears its head again

"Brighton are going up this time and they have a good boss in Chris Hughton.
I have no time for clubs like theirs though who ignore the financial fair play rules (if they do or did ever exist)."

Just shows the ignorance of other fans. If we'd broken financial fairplay, we'd have had a transfer embargo yet people still confuse overall spending with what counts for financial fairplay. It is pretty simple yet some people just want to attack teams who do well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just shows the ignorance of other fans. If we'd broken financial fairplay, we'd have had a transfer embargo yet people still confuse overall spending with what counts for financial fairplay. It is pretty simple yet some people just want to attack teams who do well.

In fairness plenty on NSC decided Bournemouth, Derby and Forest had breached FFP over the last few seasons, during the season.. We were only right on two of them. I guess clubs like Barnsley see us turning down millions for players and spending 4 million on Duffy and assume that we are overspending. Not sure it's worth getting all uppity about.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel

First heyf evenly matched wi booath sides missing chances. Frum weear aar wo sat it looked like a pen.

Second heyf they were mooar clinical wi chances. Key moment when Hammill side footed ovva bar at 0-1. They saw the game art effectively.

Not an arseoyling from a team top of the league but they shaded it ovva 90 mins.

Grammar aside, at least his analysis was fair. We were the better side and won comfortably but they had some decent chances

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This is quite interesting. In my game (biomed research) there is a movement towards 'post publication peer review'. This means that 'peers' can comment on a research publication online in a forum managed by the publisher. This inevitably ends up with the appearance of massive bias in favour of partial opinion; folk only ever post a comment if they are highly motivated, and extreme opinion drives high motivation. So, yes, Barnsley or whoever get turned over by our club and there is bound to be a minority who will say its because we have cheated on FFP etc. Fortunately on our forum, there are enough motivated curators (we are all curators) ready and willing to pour scorn on claptrap. Interesting that it works here but not in biomedical research.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yes, pure native Yorkshire. I dare say the person typing it was wearing a flat cap, and had his whippet dozing alongside him.

Before looking in a dustbin for something to eat, beating up his wife, peeing in the fire place and pooing in the bath!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Good to see HoveBornAndBred has found a new outlet since his ban on here...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

what makes you think they can read

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Also from a Barnsley forum!

http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?254220-My-Brighton-Report

This could have turned into one of those situations that we have seen down the years where a top of the league team comes to Oakwell, with a decent following, and rolls us over on their way to promotion. What usually happens is that their fans spend most of the match making lots of delirious noise as the goals rain in at the old Kop end and they waltz off with the victory having brushed us aside.
Think Norwich City, Preston North End (in fairly recent years) and Lincoln City a long time ago (old Fourth Division days I think) – all end-of-season capitulations that left a nasty taste in the mouth. Not yesterday though. Not by a long chalk. We matched them for a good period of the first half, and on and off for the rest of the match, but ultimately they were just too good for us. Not man for man, the whole team of course, but individually – just too much for us on the day.
Knockaert and Murray, and to a lesser degree Baldock, seemed to be playing at a different level to us and, of course, they were. The first two have bags of Premier League experience and, in Murray, they had the kind of wily centre forward that I wish we could get hold of. That’s one of the key elements missing in our team I’m afraid – someone to get under the skin of the opposition defenders while looking a class act at the same time. Bradshaw and Armstrong have admirable qualities but they are nothing like I have just described are they? Baldock took his goals brilliantly but I was hoping we could wind him up a bit for a red card after that blatant dive in the first five minutes got him a yellow. Knockaert – well, generally thought to be the best player in the division.
But enough of them! We could have drawn that match at least, and maybe even won it, which says a great deal about the quality we have in our football club these days. Others have mentioned the penalty we should have had, and Hammill’s two misses, but these are incidents that either win or lose you a football match. Everyone in the ground saw Dunk stick his arm in the air at the Ponty End but the inevitable screams for a penalty were ignored by the ref. Of course what the camera behind the goal showed was a cheeky ploy by Bradshaw that prompted the hand ball. He seemed to punch Dunk gently under his upper arm, making the arm go up and make contact with the ball. I wonder if the ref saw that, or was he just incompetent (ditto the linesman).
I was pleased to see Hammill come on in the second half but maybe that great first chance came to him too soon. It was a stunning passing movement that got the ball to his feet but he didn’t take a second to compose himself before blazing it over. Shame that because it would have been 1-1 and all to play for. He was also involved in their second goal and I was disappointed to see him making little attempt to get back to recover the ball. That’s not really like him though, but it was a mystery that he didn’t make more effort.
These are minor criticisms though and this short report is not meant to have a go at any of our players. They all played their part in a really entertaining match and they were unlucky to end up on the losing side. A 2-2 draw would have been a fair result and would have sent us all home happy. There was still plenty of applause at the end though from the home fans so most people appreciated the effort. It’s a shame that some on here have to moan about things. We are all entitled to our opinion, obviously, but sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say well done to the opposition for doing a job on us.
There were one or two unsavoury bits to that of course. No team gets where they are without knowing how to con the referee but, thankfully, they kept it to a minimum, unlike some teams we have seen this season. Their fans turned out in good numbers and, naturally, never shut up all through the match. It would have been interesting to see their reaction if WE had been leading 2-0 though. Never mind – you can’t win them all as the saying goes.
It’s disappointing to lose another home game but at least this time we should have no complaints about it. I was really hoping for a win against these and then follow it with another one next Saturday, and THEN beat Wednesday as well. That would have been a triple victory to make the rest of the football world take notice. I’ll take two out of three though, especially if beating our neighbours down the A61 causes them to miss out on the play offs. It could happen. I really, really hope we do that to them!I]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Im afraid Brighton fall into the category of if they were at it then whatever we did wouldnt be enough. They have spent a lot (they lost £35m last year alone).

Another uninformed gem from our Northern friendly

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When Barnsley went up into the Premier League, the programme had an entire page written in local dialect (by Ian McMillan, if I'm correct).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here