Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea U18 13 - 0 Brighton

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Not seen a thread about this other than the link to the game thread. Yes you are reading that correctly 13 (thirteen) - 0.

Three hatricks. A category 1 academy should not lose by more than 4 goals tops to anybody that is simply embarrassing considering the money being spent on youth development.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sounds abysmal by any standard.. disagree about the 4 goals tops part.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Obviously not a great result, but tempered by the likelihood that there seems more chance that Chelsea's wonder kids will end up playing for teams like the Albion than there is that they'll be playing for Chelsea.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
It's widely understood that because the youth system has only recently been given catergory A status, you should only view the very youngest teams as being of category a standard. When the u18s started their football education, they didn't have the very best coaching, facilities, overall eduction, sports scientists aiding their development.

This is to be expected for at least a few years I'm afraid.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's widely understood that because the youth system has only recently been given catergory A status, you should only view the very youngest teams as being of category a standard. When the u18s started their football education, they didn't have the very best coaching, facilities, overall eduction, sports scientists aiding their development.

This is to be expected for at least a few years I'm afraid.
Why? They were only two goals better than us back in November. This is a very bad result - no report available on Seagulls.co.uk yet. Wonder what was going on out there?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not seen a thread about this other than the link to the game thread. Yes you are reading that correctly 13 (thirteen) - 0.

Three hatricks. A category 1 academy should not lose by more than 4 goals tops to anybody that is simply embarrassing considering the money being spent on youth development.

Do you have any interest to declare regarding the under 18 side ? I'm genuinely interested in whether you have any connection with the team as I don't think I would have noticed this result unless you had started the thread.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

And you know for certain a) how much we spend on our academy and b) how much Chelsea spend on their academy.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
You lot defending them is why English football is where it is against other nations. This 'its ok' and 'unlucky' attitude is not shared abroad, where young players are told when they are not doing the right things and it is not sugar coated.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You lot defending them is why English football is where it is against other nations. This 'its ok' and 'unlucky' attitude is not shared abroad, where young players are told when they are not doing the right things and it is not sugar coated.

For the record,i did not defend them-i think the word i used was "abysmal" for the record the 2nd highest defeat in that division this season was 9-2 Norwich vs Swansea i think.. and two 7-0's as well..

Without knowing the whys and wherefores i cannot fully comment on just a scoreline alone.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And you know for certain a) how much we spend on our academy and b) how much Chelsea spend on their academy.

Well we know that the minimum expenditure of Cat 1 Academy's is £2.3 million per annum, as an aside I was told by someone that would know that the current spend stands at £3 million per annum, its not a swipe at the funding personally in many ways its brilliant that it can be afforded, anyway if at anytime you might accept that £2.3 million annual budget is an appropriate minimum cost then whats with an odd £700,000 overspend.

Chelsea would spend considerably more.

Dec 29, 2011

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this. Last time I saw someone so angry about the youth side, it was because they had a child who had been released in the past. Sure you don't have a connection to the team?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
For context : In recent weeks though the u18s have beaten both Arsenal and Spurs and were unlucky to get knocked out of the FA Youth Cup on penalties after reaching the 4th round.

No idea what happened yesterday mind.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here