Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock booked for diving

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I went and at the time, from my view, it looked like a blatant penalty but having watched the highlights today the Ref was spot on. Baldock dived. This follows the dive by March against Ipswich. I hope CH has a word because our players shouldn't be diving like this.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I went and at the time, from my view, it looked like a blatant penalty but having watched the highlights today the Ref was spot on. Baldock dived. This follows the dive by March against Ipswich. I hope CH has a word because our players shouldn't be diving like this.

I agree that they shouldn't. But I think March slipped, and did not dive. If he'd stayed on his feet he'd have had a clear shot from six yards out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Joey Jo Jo Jr. said:
No ref should be that close to the play, maybe he should be around 5 or so yards closer but certainly not right on top of play which is what you are implying.

When the play is in the penalty area I believe the ref should be with in a few yards to be able to get a good view. which obviously this one did have but from distance, so no complaints

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
On Ch 5 Chris Iwellumo said that in real time it looked a cert penalty but when slowing it down the ref was right. How can he have been as he saw it in quick time so should have given a penalty not Baldock a card.

You do ask for it. Iwellumo thought it it a pen in real time. The ref was better and saw it for what it was. Surely you can understand that BG.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You do ask for it. Iwellumo thought it it a pen in real time. The ref was better and saw it for what it was. Surely you can understand that BG.

I fully accept the ref was correct to not give it but can understand why most on here thought it was a dead cert penalty. The good thing is the booking may not affect Sam at all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I for one am eternally grateful that big Chris Iwelumo has not always had such reservations about going down after a little contact in the penalty area.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I for one am eternally grateful that big Chris Iwelumo has not always had such reservations about going down after a little contact in the penalty area.

But that was not "a little contact" in Cardiff.
That was a hard kick on the back of his knee so his leg crumpled.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
At the time I thought it was a stonewall penalty and berated the ref with great anger. Disappointed to discover on watching the replays that sam did indeed go down very easiy indeed, although I think there was a smidgeon of contact at the end. Bizarrely though the percieved injustice of the yellow card seemed to fire Baldock up, he played like a man possessed all afternoon.

Despite the abuse I gave the ref in the first half, I actually think he was one of, if not the best we have seen all season. Got both big decisions correct with the Baldock 'dive' and Dunk 'handball', and his rugby-style application of advantage in the second half was highly commendable.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
At the time I thought it was a stonewall penalty and berated the ref with great anger. Disappointed to discover on watching the replays that sam did indeed go down very easiy indeed, although I think there was a smidgeon of contact at the end. Bizarrely though the percieved injustice of the yellow card seemed to fire Baldock up, he played like a man possessed all afternoon.

Despite the abuse I gave the ref in the first half, I actually think he was one of, if not the best we have seen all season. Got both big decisions correct with the Baldock 'dive' and Dunk 'handball', and his rugby-style application of advantage in the second half was highly commendable.

And only one booking all afternoon (Baldock)..compared to that numpty last tuesday

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Some may say he 'was staking his claim' Hansy as there was at least some contact. I couldn't possibly comment.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yes, dive but... I thought he went down expecting contact. The defender kicks towards him and he went down expecting that contact. In some ways, Baldock is unfortunate that the player didn't carry on his movement because if he does, pen and nothing Baldock has done has changed.

Still a dive, still a yellow card, still something I don't like, but also something indicative of players' approach when barrelling into the penalty area. I genuinely think most penalties are won because players go down easily when inviting/expecting minimal contact rather than drawing an actual foul. It only takes the featheriest of contacts for a player to go down and in most cases they're already on their way.It's not a part of the game I like at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here