Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Barton - the most pathetic 'hard man' ever?

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I have always had real admiration for Joey Barton. He is a highly skilled and combative footballer who every Championship side would be delighted to have in their team. He is clearly a very bright bloke as evidenced by his ability to mix it with the best in arguments and debates. He has social good at the heart of most things he says and I share his politics. I have always thought that he is going to become one of the great managers of our time and then he goes and does this. Truly inexplicable and incredibly disappointing behaviour by a bloke I have always backed in the past. It will be harder to maintain that support now but I will continue to look for the positives in this man from the roughest of rough backgrounds who can still make a great success of his life against all odds.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have always had real admiration for Joey Barton. He is a highly skilled and combative footballer who every Championship side would be delighted to have in their team. He is clearly a very bright bloke as evidenced by his ability to mix it with the best in arguments and debates. He has social good at the heart of most things he says and I share his politics. I have always thought that he is going to become one of the great managers of our time and then he goes and does this. Truly inexplicable and incredibly disappointing behaviour by a bloke I have always backed in the past. It will be harder to maintain that support now but I will continue to look for the positives in this man from the roughest of rough backgrounds who can still make a great success of his life against all odds.

This.

Driver8

On the road...
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

How could you back someone who stubbed a cigarette out in a youth players face? The bloke is scum and always has been.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
This prat is not a hard man, he's a F'in cheat.
Disgusting w4nker

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
I admit I quite like Barton as a player.. having someone like him in your Sunday League team would sometimes make the difference. Not the best way to win a football match, but if one player draws enough of the opposition into wanting to hurt him it creates space for the rest of the team That being said, what an absolute tool, and i am glad he has never played for us

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Drunk at 09:16am :wink:

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
The C5 commentators didn't even have a go at him (because he's a mate). Idiots.

Lincoln's John Parkin-esque striker (Rhead) had Barton rattled after a very bad early challenge which went unpunished - that set the tone for the match.

Weak referee - I agree Barton and/or Flanagan should have been sent off, but an early yellow card for Rhead probably would have spoiled the Imps' game plan to outmuscle Burnley, who made a mistake by not playing Ben Mee....the more cultured Keane should have been rested instead.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The C5 commentators didn't even have a go at him (because he's a mate). Idiots.

Match of the day seem to suggest that even though the striker caught him he went down easy. It looks to me like he deliberately threw his head at the blokes arm and went down. Don't mind him usually but this act was embarassing.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
a week is a long time in football! Thought we'd earned the club some credit with our performance against Chelsea and perhaps won a few neutrals over.

Having been on the Clarets forums the only positive is that he's been roundly criticised and the concensus seemas to be for him to leave the club. It does represent a big test for Dyche, he's previously railed against players diving etc. As much as Joey gives us (and has done in the past) this has certainly crossed the line with many of the fans, the post match tweets merely underline that he cannot he helped. It might mean our midfield is a bit sparse with Defour and Marney being injured but I hope he drops him and we don't see him in a Claret shirt again.

Btw - good win for your lot. Won't jinx you just yet, Huddersfield's replay can only help as well.

Maybe if Burnley get rid of Barton (Dyche actually defended him after the match), Dale Stephens will fill the gap in August?:)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Match of the day seem to suggest that even though the striker caught him he went down easy. It looks to me like he deliberately threw his head at the blokes arm and went down.
Yeah I mistakenly said C5 (having also watched the Championship round up), I meant the BBC. The striker is stood there with his arm out, so Barton runs round him and headbutts his arm before falling to the ground. We don't want people like that in football, he's a disgusting cheat and should have a lengthy ban.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Well, I have to disagree on several fronts; however, I will stick to saying, I am damn' pleased he doesn't play for us.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I have I idea about his politics, and I'm not interested in them.

The bloke is a coward. and a cheat.

His attempts to justify what he did are pathetic, just like when he stamped on Kayal.

If he wasn't a footballer he'd be in prison by now. The bloke is a nasty piece of work , pure scum.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Lincoln's John Parkin-esque striker (Rhead) had Barton rattled after a very bad early challenge which went unpunished - that set the tone for the match.

Weak referee - I agree Barton and/or Flanagan should have been sent off, but an early yellow card for Rhead probably would have spoiled the Imps' game plan to outmuscle Burnley, who made a mistake by not playing Ben Mee....the more cultured Keane should have been rested instead.

Like at the Amex last year when the referee should have intervened early to stop Kayal being a better midfielder than Barton. How could Joey be expected to play the whole game coming of second best against a quicker, stronger and better footballer without stamping on him because of his hurt pride?

I like the way that he went on Twitter and said that he didn't take a dive at Rhead's arm like he actually believes it. He did the same after stamping on Kayal. It made me think that he walked away from the Marseille press conference saying to himself 'French Joey - You were absolutely fluent.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here