Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio commentary abroad

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
As most others who live abroad probably know, you can't get bbc radio Sussex commentary online (unless you sort out a vpn). However, someone told me about this site from which you can get local radio anywhere in the world. It's pretty awesomeso I thought I should share it.

The site is http://radio.garden

And the address for bbc Sussex is http://radio.garden/live/brighton/bbc/

However, we've always struggled when I've listened to the commentary in the past (on Player), and the same thing happened when I listened using this site on Tuesday, so, superstitiously, I'll give it a miss today. Think it'll be a very tough game. Come on you Seagulls

Id be surprised if you get the commentary. That's usually only available via radio unless you want to listen to Crawley.

Player is your only real option if listening abroad or even outside Sussex. And you can pay month by month, so less than a fiver will get you two or three games. Excellent value in my book

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As most others who live abroad probably know, you can't get bbc radio Sussex commentary online (unless you sort out a vpn). However, someone told me about this site from which you can get local radio anywhere in the world. It's pretty awesomeso I thought I should share it.

The site is http://radio.garden

And the address for bbc Sussex is http://radio.garden/live/brighton/bbc/

However, we've always struggled when I've listened to the commentary in the past (on Player), and the same thing happened when I listened using this site on Tuesday, so, superstitiously, I'll give it a miss today. Think it'll be a very tough game. Come on you Seagulls

You don't get BBC Sussex commentary online anywhere, VPN or not, it's not broadcast online in any form except maybe FACup games, but not EFL games.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/feedback.shtml#football

Why can't I listen to Football Commentary on my local radio station?

For a number of high profile sporting events, such as the Premiership, the BBC only holds the rights to broadcast live commentary locally to the area covered by our radio transmitters. Our internet service is available across the UK and around the world and therefore we need to blank all output for which we do not hold international rights. We apologise for any inconvenience, but you can still listen to live commentary from your local station on your radio.

I listened to the whole game on Tuesday. Quality (of the reception at least!) was great, no cut-outs whatsoever.

OK I stand corrected. I could never find commentary when I was in Spain other than player.

Having said how good value it is it doesn't seem to be working today yet!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Yet another mention about the Slingbox (Amazon or PC World). Conect it to a freeview box in Brighton and watch / listen anywhere in the world. Freeview has BBC Sussex rather than Sky.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Is it reasonable to expect that everyone on this thread is paying for Seagulls World and is seeking a work around to resolve technical issues/availability?

We seem to have loads of freeloader threads on here nowadays. This is largely a matter of free choice, but I think I would draw the line at people not being prepared to pay a relatively small amount to the football club they profess to support.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Is it reasonable to expect that everyone on this thread is paying for Seagulls World and is seeking a work around to resolve technical issues/availability?

We seem to have loads of freeloader threads on here nowadays. This is largely a matter of free choice, but I think I would draw the line at people not being prepared to pay a relatively small amount to the football club they profess to support.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I do have a player account, but I'm also a BBC licence payer and a resident of Sussex. But I work abroad and around the country a lot. It is a disgrace that BBC Sussex online remove the bha commentary so that seagulls player can charge you for it! You already pay for it in your licence fee and it's also free to air anyway via fm. A total scam!!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Freeloaders?! Profess?! You prat!

Hope you subscribe.

In my book the clubs/league either fleece everyone OR no one. It really isn't fair that if you live within a few miles of Brighton you get commentary for free, but anyyone else who pay for TV Licence has to pay.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I do have a player account, but I'm also a BBC licence payer and a resident of Sussex. But I work abroad and around the country a lot. It is a disgrace that BBC Sussex online remove the bha commentary so that seagulls player can charge you for it! You already pay for it in your licence fee and it's also free to air anyway via fm. A total scam!!

This with bells on except for me no relevance to you living in Sussex. Also its not Radio Sussex's fault but the clubs/league who have sold radio rights.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Freeloaders?! Profess?! You prat!

Hope you subscribe.

In my book the clubs/league either fleece everyone OR no one. It really isn't fair that if you live within a few miles of Brighton you get commentary for free, but anyyone else who pay for TV Licence has to pay.

No I don't subscribe - I go to games or listen to Radio Sussex. I have subscribed in the past, when I have been outside Radio Sussex broadcast area and I have no need to pay for highlights which I can get via Channel 5 and other sources. £38 per year to pay for coverage of a team you support but are unable to go and watch, is hardly a major sacrifice. Why has this touched a nerve with you ?

If people are looking for alternatives for a service they have paid for and doesn't work, they have my sympathy, but it looks like some people are expecting something for nothing. Personally I don't care if people choose to avoid paying Sky for premier league football, I don't have an interest in protecting their income, but I do care when it is the Albion.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

If the EFL wanted the BBC to stream live radio commentary via the local stations online then they would let them or charge them appropriately for the right to do so.
However they think, and have done for years now, that they can make more ££ licencing the rights as part of the various Player packages which cost c£50 a year for a few commentaries and highlights. ( in contrast the licence fee is £145.50 a year for multiple tv and radio stations, iPlayer, a free BBC News website, 6 Music and Strictly Come Dancing and has been since 2010) .

Suggest you direct your fire at the EFL.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
No I don't subscribe - I go to games or listen to Radio Sussex. I have subscribed in the past, when I have been outside Radio Sussex broadcast area and I have no need to pay for highlights which I can get via Channel 5 and other sources. £38 per year to pay for coverage of a team you support but are unable to go and watch, is hardly a major sacrifice. Why has this touched a nerve with you ?

If people are looking for alternatives for a service they have paid for and doesn't work, they have my sympathy, but it looks like some people are expecting something for nothing. Personally I don't care if people choose to avoid paying Sky for premier league football, I don't have an interest in protecting their income, but I do care when it is the Albion.

You listen to Radio Sussex for free, but whinge when others want to do the same? Priceless!

My beef is that match commentary should be free to all or none.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Or you can simply follow the matchday thread, and wonder why nobody has posted anything for ten minutes before realising that they have moved the bloody kick-off time again...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here