Barnsley v Brighton

Sky Bet Championship

Venue: Oakwell Stadium
Date: Saturday 18th February 2017
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: David Coote
Assistants: Nicholas Hopton, Tony Peart
Fourth official: Ross Joyce

Barnsley have midfielder Alex Mowatt available for the visit of Brighton after a three-match suspension.

Defender Aidy White remains sidelined with a pelvic injury.

Victory at Oakwell will take Brighton to the top of the Championship table in Chris Hughton's 100th league game in charge of the Seagulls.

Left-back Gaetan Bong (knee) will be assessed, Liam Rosenior (ankle) is still recovering from long-term injury and Connor Goldson (heart) is out.

When asked about his 100th league match in charge, Brighton manager Chris Hughton told BBC Sussex:

"That's news to me. Let's hope come Saturday evening that it's good news.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed the period of time that I've been here right from day one and we've been building towards something.

"Yes, it's a very nice milestone as it's a wonderful place to have it. But the win on Saturday would be a better milestone."

On the test Barnsley will present: "When we played Barnsley earlier in the season we were aware and impressed by how good a side they are.

"They're still going well on the back of a very good win at Villa in the week, so credit to the players and all the management for achieving that."

MATCH FACTS

• [*=left]Barnsley have failed to score in their last two league games against Brighton (D1 L1).
    [*=left]Brighton won the reverse of this fixture 2-0 in September - they have not done a league double over Barnsley since the 1991-92 campaign.
    [*=left]Barnsley have scored a league-high 15 headed goals in the Championship this season.
    [*=left]Brighton have conceded a league-high proportion of their goals from opposition headers (35%).
    [*=left]Tomer Hemed has scored in each of his last five league appearances for Brighton (six goals) - this despite attempting just seven shots on target during this run.
    [*=left]Brighton boss Chris Hughton oversees his 100th league game in charge of the Seagulls - his record from his first 99 Championship games reads; won 49, drew 31 and lost 19.

The Big Match Preview: Spotlight on Barnsley

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We need 7 points at least from the next 3 fixtures..

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It's match day and I am feeling a bit more confident this morning. Hope the team feel the same. Is it possible the next two home games may be at the back of their mind and this one doesn't feel important?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
The next 3 games will define our season.
Desperately need the 3pts today

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just leaving London on the groovy train

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Gonna be a tuff game today and we need to perform and be at our best, these are the games we should be targeting three points if we have ambitions of promotion. The Reading and Newcastle games are of course just as important but the Barnsley type games (no disrespect to them) are must wins.

God I hope we win today, if we don't I fear it's three wheels on my wagon time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A loss and I'm officially concerned
A draw and I'm still a bit jittery
A win and I'm BULLISH, and the Toon/Reading games can't come soon enough

Come on lads.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Once this game is finished, Huddersfield and Newcastle will play twice before we next kick a ball.

Let's not be in 3rd before we play Reading. Please.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'd take a draw now to be honest, but based on our current form that will be going some. Prove me wrong guys. Good luck today.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Preview:

Chelsea U18 v Brighton & Hove Albion U18 U18 Premier League 11:05

Chelsea TV / Chelsea TV HD

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills