Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal Advice Required (Home refurbishment is the issue)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Simplest way round it is to have shower screens fitted.

Still does not eliminate the main problem,Tiles higher than shower tray though?

Taken from the opening post-
The Architect is now saying they want a tiled floor, this will mean us taking up the trays and raising them to accept tiles (I'm not going to go into great detail on this as its just not worth it, but trust me if we leveled the floor and fitted a decent floor tile the edge of the tile WILL be higher than the tray which is not acceptable)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Still does not eliminate the main problem,Tiles higher than shower tray though?

Taken from the opening post-
The Architect is now saying they want a tiled floor, this will mean us taking up the trays and raising them to accept tiles (I'm not going to go into great detail on this as its just not worth it, but trust me if we leveled the floor and fitted a decent floor tile the edge of the tile WILL be higher than the tray which is not acceptable)

I took it he is saying he wanted a tiled floor because the Karndean would not be acceptable with an open shower enclosure, it would acceptable as per Karndean spec if the shower was enclosed.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I took it he is saying he wanted a tiled floor because the Karndean would not be acceptable with an open shower enclosure, it would acceptable as per Karndean spec if the shower was enclosed.

Maybe you are right,if that was the case though,why did the configuration get laid out that way to begin with,surely a tiled floor was the only option with an open shower...i honestly don't know,to me it seems strange,that said i don't know i'm not a builder.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Maybe you are right,if that was the case though,why did the configuration get laid out that way to begin with,surely a tiled floor was the only option with an open shower...i honestly don't know,to me it seems strange,that said i don't know i'm not a builder.

You're right , should have been verified from the start, and this is where the mixed messages come in.
You either have a wet room/ walk in shower. = tiles or vinyl flooring
Low threshold shower tray = still require a screen to enclose the shower to prevent water ingress. You can have what you like on the floor then as water will not penetrate.

Sounds like customer wanted a walk in shower , so up to architect to confirm the specification either one way or another and relay that to the contractor. At this point the contractor , if in doubt should raise the issue if not entirely sure of the spec.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Perhaps the OP should have been posted to Remainers in the Brexit thread-they after all know everything about anything and are experts and have crystal balls that see into the future too.

Note that the OP, despite the numerous problems the client is giving him, is remaining with the project and trying to resolve the problems and not just bailing out.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Note that the OP, despite the numerous problems the client is giving him, is remaining with the project and trying to resolve the problems and not just bailing out.

As would be expected and commendable...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Is it possible to use a clear floor sealer over the Karndean to create a floor surface capable of preventing water ingress?

Like this shit maybe, but clear? http://www.reprotecuk.co.uk/products/reprotec-flexiflor

Contractually, if the absence of shower screen is specified, i.e. no screen is specified, along with the unsuitable flooring for this arrangement, it should be the Architects problem I would think.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Is it possible to use a clear floor sealer over the Karndean to create a floor surface capable of preventing water ingress?

Like this shit maybe, but clear? http://www.reprotecuk.co.uk/products/reprotec-flexiflor

Contractually, if the absence of shower screen is specified, i.e. no screen is specified, along with the unsuitable flooring for this arrangement, it should be the Architects problem I would think.

Doesn't really matter as the idea of a wet room is for the gradient on the floor to drain the water away. In this case I'm presuming there is still a lip from the shower tray so any water over that lip will just sit there.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Doesn't really matter as the idea of a wet room is for the gradient on the floor to drain the water away. In this case I'm presuming there is still a lip from the shower tray so any water over that lip will just sit there.

You might be right, but the OP states that a 10mm tile will create a lip above the tray, so I would guess the vinyl would be close to level. Still, maybe no fall towards the tray, but might be easier to take the flooring up, if it is already laid, and create the right levels, than raising the trays which are expected to break in the process.
Just an idea.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I'm guessing the client will be having a decent power shower in this property, I'm thinking a wet room would have been a better idea.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Sorry for not replying to the many great posts that have been left, I am in Cardiff with a hangover any raging alcoholic would be proud of! Great win yesterday as well, when we get home I will look at the replies more closely.
Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated.
#backtobedforabit [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here