Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Akpom

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bearing in mind the way our away games have started recently, I'd actually start Akpom as the lone forward in a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Sitwell sitting behind Stephens and Kayal or Norwood. We simply have to be more solid. Starting the second half two goals down isn't the way forward. Tell Akpom to run himself into the ground and tire out their central defenders then bring on Murray and Baldock on the hour.

This isn't a bad idea at all. I do think Norwood is far more suited to a midfield three as well, and agree with Icy that we do need to try and get a clean sheet, which we haven't done since that Cardiff game, which is our only Championship clean sheet in 2017.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Bearing in mind the way our away games have started recently, I'd actually start Akpom as the lone forward in a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Sidwell sitting behind Stephens and Kayal or Norwood. We simply have to be more solid. Starting the second half two goals down isn't the way forward. Tell Akpom to run himself into the ground and tire out their central defenders then bring on Murray and Baldock on the hour.
Good shout but it won't happen as in that formation Murray or Hemed are nailed on for the lone striker role. I do like the idea of the formation switch with about 30 mins left though. You are definitely on to something but I really can't see it happening

Mar 2, 2014
Bearing in mind the way our away games have started recently, I'd actually start Akpom as the lone forward in a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Sidwell sitting behind Stephens and Kayal or Norwood. We simply have to be more solid. Starting the second half two goals down isn't the way forward. Tell Akpom to run himself into the ground and tire out their central defenders then bring on Murray and Baldock on the hour.
That is absolutely ridiculous.

Akpom start up front on his own. The boy has nothing and won't play Championship football again after leaving us. Nowhere near professional football standards but you want him to start alone up front, ahead of Murray and Hemed.

You should be banned for that post.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That is absolutely ridiculous.

Akpom start up front on his own. The boy has nothing and won't play Championship football again after leaving us. Nowhere near professional football standards but you want him to start alone up front, ahead of Murray and Hemed.

You should be banned for that post.

Haha. And how many minutes has Akpom played?! Nothing like writing somone off, is there? What a dick.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Funny how we see games differently

Indeed!

I think he had a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde game, there wasn't much that came off for him but I thought he worked his socks off and was involved whenever we looked dangerous. I haven't watched the highlights but I think I'll take a look as a few of our players look similar from the North, especially after a couple of beers!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No idea what the poker analogy means and yes, Murray is having a lean spell, but start with Akpom? We've been sold a pup here as we're just getting him fit to go back to Arsenal. Tbh he looks raw, the sort of promising player who might blossom in League One and come good higher up later. But I don't think he should have the weight on his shoulders of trying to make a difference in our situation.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
In what I have seen so far I think he makes clever runs, just needs march sharpness for me.

If Baldock remains fit however he will only be getting 20 mins here and there

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The game passes him by, a sign that he is not ready yet. He may become a superstar but he is not ready for the drive to get promotespd

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on Saturday i thought he was was ok, kept things simple, physical. thats what you want away against a stubborn side isnt it. someone said bring on Baldock later on, that would make sence.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Honest instant assessment of Akpom so far? Sack of spuds. COG 2.0. Turned well and played Murray into a goal scoring position a couple of times on Tuesday to be fair. But on evidence so far has little future at the Albion. Let alone at Arsenal. Not what we need.

I'm afraid you could be right, just doesn't look at the races

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Too early to have a verdict on Akpom.

He fluffed almost an open goal in his first game.
Probably nervous, not been with the team long and just getting into the swing of things.
I think he could be very decent though, looks promising.

Murray and Akpom to start tomorrow, only due to Baldocks current potential injury problem.

Baldock to come on after 60 minutes.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He's a young lad that physically doesn't look ready at the moment, despite his frame and stature. He doesn't seem quick enough to pull away from defenders, nor physically strong enough to hold them off.

The kid's finishing seems weak too, which isn't ideal, particularly off his left side, where his limited chances have come so far. His movement, or lack thereof, concerns me greatly too.

Saying that, he picked out Murray beautifully on Tuesday and hasn't been afraid to miss chances, both of which show a positive attitude and some talent (you have to be there to miss afterall). So whilst I'm yet to see the spark, I'm happy to stay open minded as things stand.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Akpom had chances in the Ipswich and Burton games but fluffed them. What I have seen him do is get into good goal scoring positions and work in the box which is what a striker has to do.

In the Ipswich game SB positioned himself out side the 18 yard box for every corner... he appears to not want to get in there .

This is all personal opinion but I really would prefer my strikers to be in the 18 yard box and probably the 6 yd for corners.

So give Akpom a chance , if he does not start then at least give him 30 minutes to settle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here