Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Akpom

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jury still out on him. Doesn't work anywhere near hard enough. Looks to me like he needs a pre-season which is obviously a concern.

Baldock has to start IMO. We desperately need him bedded back in to the side.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Agree. I think the jury is out too. Needs a bit more game time. He fluffed the first three things he did on Tues but then did OK. Bring him on as a sub if we need to.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Think we should leave him on the bench, bring him on late if necessary - wouldn't want to risk him starting in what is an important match for us to get a decent result when he has only had a couple of good moments when he has played previously. I think I'd agree wth [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] above regarding needing a pre-season or similar.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jury still out on him. Doesn't work anywhere near hard enough. Looks to me like he needs a pre-season which is obviously a concern.

Baldock has to start IMO. We desperately need him bedded back in to the side.

I have zero confidence in Baldock against a team like Barnsley who are going to bully him off the ball. I'd start with Akpom too. Baldock is likely to get injured again soon so we might as well get Akpom up to speed for when it happens. Akpom made more happen in the few mins he was on that Baldock managed all game.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
First impressions are a lack of work rate and a lot of aimlessly jogging around the pitch confused as to what he's meant to be doing. Doesn't seem to make many intelligent runs.

I can't see him being much of a success. I hope I am wrong.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Amazes me how people can make a judgement based on his limited game time to date.

When and if he gets a run in the side perhaps we can make a sensible judgement.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I don't rate him tbh. Didn't exactly pull up trees for Hull last season only scoring 3 league goals and them 3 goals are his only goals
in the domestic league since 2013.

He will get a couple tomoz now I said that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Honest instant assessment of Akpom so far? Sack of spuds. COG 2.0. Turned well and played Murray into a goal scoring position a couple of times on Tuesday to be fair. But on evidence so far has little future at the Albion. Let alone at Arsenal. Not what we need.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The early signs are that Akpom will be another Obika, Best or Manu but we must give him time to develop with us before making a snap judgement as Arsenal rate him highly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have zero confidence in Baldock against a team like Barnsley who are going to bully him off the ball. I'd start with Akpom too. Baldock is likely to get injured again soon so we might as well get Akpom up to speed for when it happens. Akpom made more happen in the few mins he was on that Baldock managed all game.

Interestingly when we played them down here CH started with Murray and Hemed. If he does that again then I would bring on Baldock rather than Akpom late on as he'll run a tired defence ragged.

Was in no way impressed with Akpom when he came on either time but people are quite right to say we shouldn't judge yet. I'd agree he looks fairly unfit and I'm not convinced about his decision making.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Amazes me how people can make a judgement based on his limited game time to date.

When and if he gets a run in the side perhaps we can make a sensible judgement.

I'm with you. Baldock needs to start, and Akpom needs to be eased in -- he's coming back from a long injury, and needs to be familiarised with our set-up. I'm quite optimistic of what I can and will contribute, but we'll have to see.
The other thing bearing in mind is the possibility of playing a midfield three in certain (away) games or situations, which would mean playing just one of the big two up top, which might also just suit Knockaert and March better.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I though Baldock was one of our better players, it was his run and pass that put it on a plate for knocky

I may not sound like it but I am a Baldock fan but I thought he was a waste of space on Tuesday and I thought Akpom looked more threatening even if he was off the pace. Funny how we see games differently

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm with you. Baldock needs to start, and Akpom needs to be eased in -- he's coming back from a long injury, and needs to be familiarised with our set-up. I'm quite optimistic of what I can and will contribute, but we'll have to see.
The other thing bearing in mind is the possibility of playing a midfield three in certain (away) games or situations, which would mean playing just one of the big two up top, which might also just suit Knockaert and March better.

Has Rosenior travelled with the team.

lyma1979

Jan 25, 2017
Personally I would play Akpom, Hemed is like a Poker player who only bets when he has aces and aces are already on the table, Murray is having a lean spell, Akpom has a bit of a different direct style and so should start a few matches. The bench can replace him if it doesn't work out. He runs with the ball whereas the others wait for the ball to be delivered or deliver to another player.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I may not sound like it but I am a Baldock fan but I thought he was a waste of space on Tuesday and I thought Akpom looked more threatening even if he was off the pace. Funny how we see games differently

Bearing in mind the way our away games have started recently, I'd actually start Akpom as the lone forward in a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Sidwell sitting behind Stephens and Kayal or Norwood. We simply have to be more solid. Starting the second half two goals down isn't the way forward. Tell Akpom to run himself into the ground and tire out their central defenders then bring on Murray and Baldock on the hour.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bearing in mind the way our away games have started recently, I'd actually start Akpom as the lone forward in a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Sitwell sitting behind Stephens and Kayal or Norwood. We simply have to be more solid. Starting the second half two goals down isn't the way forward. Tell Akpom to run himself into the ground and tire out their central defenders then bring on Murray and Baldock on the hour.

Can't argue with that, we should revert to "back to basics" and concentrate on not conceding before we worry about scoring imo

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Strange.. I thought Akpom looked to have something about him on Tuesday night.
Way too early to judge him. He's only had a few minutes in games we are looking to salvage something from.
He's clearly stronger than Balders and looked up for it, when he came on.

Personally I hope baldock and Murray start tomorrow
Tomer has done really well lately, but Murray is the main man and he needs to be back in the starting line up.

Hopefully we can score first and control the game for a change.
Then we can see about giving AKpom a bit more time to see how he fits into the side playing their natural game.
Rather than frantically looking for an equaliser/winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here