Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which would you prefer; 3 points vs Newcastle or 3 points vs Reading?

Would you rather a win vs Newcastle or a win vs Reading?

• Newcastle obviously - I can't believe how MONUMENTALLY THICK you are

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • READING of course - my word you're such a ****

Votes: 29 34.1%

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Reading. Keep them as far back as possible. Newcastle will finish first or second. Therefore we need to put as much distance between us and the pack. If we beat Reading/lose to Newcastle we'll be in the same position as we are now(in terms of the points gap) except we'll be two games closer to the end of the season. If we lose to Reading and beat Newcastle we'll potentially only be 2 points ahead of Reading and still a point behind Newcastle(same as we are now). I7ll take a safe second place over risking everything for first.

If we have to choose one then Reading.. the bigger the gap to teams below us the better..

Its as though you've both forgotten that Huddersfield (and Leeds, and Wednesday) exist.

If Reading were the ONLY chasing threat to the top two, then beating them, and extending that gap would 100% be the right answer to this question. But they're not. If we get cut adrift of Newcastle, and caught by Huddersfield and Leeds, then Reading being six / eight / a hundred points below us will be cack all consolation. We need to stay as high up the league as possible. Beat Newcastle, go top.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Reading. Keep them as far back as possible. Newcastle will finish first or second. Therefore we need to put as much distance between us and the pack. If we beat Reading/lose to Newcastle we'll be in the same position as we are now(in terms of the points gap) except we'll be two games closer to the end of the season. If we lose to Reading and beat Newcastle we'll potentially only be 2 points ahead of Reading and still a point behind Newcastle(same as we are now). I7ll take a safe second place over risking everything for first.

I just don't get this, because you're forgetting Huddersfield, who really do look like a problem. They've got more points than Reading, and have a game in hand over them and, as we discovered to our cost, are in cracking form. Us and Hudds also have the easier run-ins, compared to both Newcastle and Reading. It's not about safe second versus risky first, at all. For a long time I and many others thought Newcastle would run away with. That time has long gone. It's most likely to be a three-horse race, and I suspect that :lolol: might be as likely to challenge that trio-opoly as Reading.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Its as though you've both forgotten that Huddersfield (and Leeds, and Wednesday) exist.

If Reading were the ONLY chasing threat to the top two, then beating them, and extending that gap would 100% be the right answer to this question. But they're not. If we get cut adrift of Newcastle, and caught by Huddersfield and Leeds, then Reading being six / eight / a hundred points below us will be cack all consolation. We need to stay as high up the league as possible. Beat Newcastle, go top.

Snap (nearly, at least).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not sure I agree that they will be any less determined to beat Reading if they beat us. If we were to do a Norwich on them (a big if I accept) they could be shellshocked though

I disagree. If we beat Newcastle, they would be more determined to beat Reading to get back on track.

By the way I've gone Newcastle as I don't see Reading getting anything at Hudders ... but if they did I'm less sure

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I just don't get this, because you're forgetting Huddersfield, who really do look like a problem. They've got more points than Reading, and have a game in hand over them and, as we discovered to our cost, are in cracking form. Us and Hudds also have the easier run-ins, compared to both Newcastle and Reading. It's not about safe second versus risky first, at all. For a long time I and many others thought Newcastle would run away with. That time has long gone. It's most likely to be a three-horse race, and I suspect that :lolol: might be as likely to challenge that trio-opoly as Reading.
No I'm not forgetting them.. the question doesn't include them, and we have no influence over their points tally from here on in. Therefore, to stay in the top 2 I would rather knock a potential challenger to that position further back makes perfect sense. Of course I don't want to choose one over the other, I want both, but that isn't the question we've been asked to consider. If the upcoming games were Newcastle and Huddersfield, then I would want to beat Huddersfield more than Newcastle.. not sure its that different..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta admire NSC for just how many ways it can ask the same question.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

No, I've taken Huddersfield (and Leeds) into account. Going on a win one, lose one scenario against Reading and Newcastle, whatever way round you get the wins we'll potentially only be one point above Huddersfield. I really don't see Newcastle finishing below second. Therefore why have Reading in the mix as well? The less teams the better. Huddersfield are on a great run of form but I doubt it will last another 15 games. As for Leeds, they're 8 points behind, they're not an immediate threat and aren't as big a worry as Reading(currently) or Huddersfield.

Edit: I guess it also depends on our respective results before both those games.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
One game at a time, why are we looking beyond Barnsley to these home games.

Also why is there no option for either 2 wins or 2 draws. The main thing must be to not lose ground against either side, therefore providing we don't lose I'll be happy

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Newcastle. Obviously. Reading will fall away. Reading are nowhere. Huddersfield may well beat both us and Newcastle into top spot. So finishing ahead of Newcastle is PARAMOUNT. IMHO, like.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Watch us get two hard fought draws, which would have been fine if we'd beaten Ipswich

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think we'll be extremely lucky to get any points

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
6 points will do nicely

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Watch us get two hard fought draws, which would have been fine if we'd beaten Ipswich

I'd bet a decent amount of money we'll win at least one of the games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd bet a decent amount of money we'll win at least one of the games.

I have no desire to relieve you of money and be proved right thanks :smile:

I will never bet against the Albion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here