Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Investments for Beginners

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No mention of a SIPP yet.
I operate under my own limited company so the opportunity to invest some of my profit [thus legitimately avoiding 20% Corporation tax] into e.g. a SIPP is very tax-attractive.
Anyone else doing similar?

Good if you want to purchase a commercial building for your business and collect the rent in a tax free environment

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
No idea how they compare to the other options on the market, but nutmeg.com is easy to use if you're like me and know nothing, and easy to chose an appropriate risk profile. I made the jump because I also didn't want the 0.5% on a bank ISA, difficult to tell what the return is as we take money out and add it back in sometimes. Also use them for a pension pot from and old job.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Lost in London said:
No idea how they compare to the other options on the market, but nutmeg.com is easy to use if you're like me and know nothing, and easy to chose an appropriate risk profile. I made the jump because I also didn't want the 0.5% on a bank ISA, difficult to tell what the return is as we take money out and add it back in sometimes. Also use them for a pension pot from and old job.

Hey, I've checked out their site...which option did you choose: fully-managed or fixed portfolio? What sort of risk have you taken?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've seen no mention of Premium Bonds yet. Are they such a bad option?

It depends if you have any intention of seeing your pot grow :lolol: With average luck, if you invested £50,000 in Premium bonds you'd be lucky to get £500 back annually.

That £50,000 is also a deposit for a decent buy-to-let.. I know what I'd do with it!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
NO NO NO!

To maximise gains on the stock market you need to buy low and sell high. A tracker is the opposite of this....

A small company grows and can enter the FTSE100, your fund then buys it at a higher price than it was earlier.

yes, yes, yes, i qualified it as some risk. your approach is good but you've got to pick the right companies, with risk they stagnate or fall. market grows over time and puting in a tracker also requires no effort.

I've seen no mention of Premium Bonds yet. Are they such a bad option?

my family are mad over premium bonds, auntie and gran say they do very well. however i've not had the luck, so few prizes i reckon im on about 0.5% total over 10-12 years. however, i see it as money on never ending lottery tickets, so stick with it (may see it differently if inflation changed to historically normal levels)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It depends if you have any intention of seeing your pot grow :lolol: With average luck, if you invested £50,000 in Premium bonds you'd be lucky to get £500 back annually.

That £50,000 is also a deposit for a decent buy-to-let.. I know what I'd do with it!

That £500 annually would be more than you'll get (particularly after tax) on most interest-bearing bank accounts now, and you've got a tiny chance of getting a decent amount more (tax free), and your capital is safe. In a very low interest rate environment, it's not necessarily a bad option for a proportion of your savings.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I have a Hargreaves Lansdown Fund & Share, Stocks & Shares ISA and SIPP.

The SIPP money is in risky AIM ventures.
The S&S cash is split between AIM & FTSE Small Cap
The Fund & Share is in boring, FTSE divdend-paying companies as anything remotely likely to go up a bit would see me clobbered for CGT.

Recommend HL. Yeah, ok, it helps Bristol City buy players but they've a user-friendly platform and the service is decent.

Am told that Barclays 'portal' is also very good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a Hargreaves Lansdown Fund & Share, Stocks & Shares ISA and SIPP.

The SIPP money is in risky AIM ventures.
The S&S cash is split between AIM & FTSE Small Cap
The Fund & Share is in boring, FTSE divdend-paying companies as anything remotely likely to go up a bit would see me clobbered for CGT.

Recommend HL. Yeah, ok, it helps Bristol City buy players but they've a user-friendly platform and the service is decent.

Am told that Barclays 'portal' is also very good.
Think HL and Barclays are pretty similar. I'm with Barclays which suits me fine but from what I've seen HL is perhaps a bit more dynamic. Charges are about the same.

Not a recommendation (not allowed, naturally) but of all the funds I use the one I've been most impressed with is Fundsmith....have a look at the long term performance stats.

https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That £500 annually would be more than you'll get (particularly after tax) on most interest-bearing bank accounts now, and you've got a tiny chance of getting a decent amount more (tax free), and your capital is safe. In a very low interest rate environment, it's not necessarily a bad option for a proportion of your savings.

With respect this is a thread about investments and generally people want investments to make money. Of course having a mixed portfolio is always a good option, but I was answering the question of whether premium bonds are a good investment - if you want to see a decent return, for the majority, they aren't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With respect this is a thread about investments and generally people want investments to make money. Of course having a mixed portfolio is always a good option, but I was answering the question of whether premium bonds are a good investment - if you want to see a decent return, for the majority, they aren't.
They can legitimately form part of a balanced portfolio......just giving a view on an investment on a thread about investments.....

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not that relevant but I actually took note of a Twitter Ad, did a bit of poking around and joined the Moneybox App. Very simple premise - links to your bank account or debit card and rounds transactions up to the nearest pound and once a week, does a direct debit transfer of the total into a stocks and share ISA. Very gimmicky but a good way of saving a few quid without thinking about it. The equivalent of putting your spare change into a piggy bank. You can add lump sums as well. Probably not the best stocks and share ISA but a nice little 'sideline' savings account.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Fully managed I think. When I signed up there wasn't the option of the fixed portfolio. I went for 8 out of 10 on risk, but do what suits you.

Thanks man, I've given it a shot. Managed to nab £160 in cashback as well by signing up. It wasn't until afterwards that I saw they offer a referral rewards scheme sorry.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Think HL and Barclays are pretty similar. I'm with Barclays which suits me fine but from what I've seen HL is perhaps a bit more dynamic. Charges are about the same.

Not a recommendation (not allowed, naturally) but of all the funds I use the one I've been most impressed with is Fundsmith....have a look at the long term performance stats.

https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/

Looked into this but I know nothing, is now a good time to invest or should I wait?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here