Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watching the Albion in Vancouver

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Doing a 2 week tour of BC in August any recommendations of things which are not in guide books. Also anyone done any successful whale watching there?.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Literally no idea, got friends I met travelling there. I'm only in Vancouver for like 2 or so months before I head to Whistler to do my snowboarding instructor course, then i'll spend the season there before heading back to Vancouver around April

Any recommendations ?

Saves me making my own thread, another one heading to Vancouver and then onto Whistler and will be looking for pubs to watch our games.

You'll both love it.
I personally didn't like Whistler too much, but most do love it, and it's probably the best place in Canada to do snowboard courses and then teach.
I was looking into it myself for next season but it's just so expensive.

For your time in Van before Whistler, there's basically 2 good options.
1: Stay in Downtown, somewhere between Granville Street (main high street) and English Bay (main beach). Very busy, LOADS to do, possibly the most expensive option.

2: Find a suburb (East Van or Kitsilano) close to Downtown. This is my choice, I spent the summer in (and will go back to) Kitsilano. Beautiful quieter beaches, nice free 3G football pitches, great bars and a little cheaper.

- Do either of you play football?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd recommend subscribing to BeIN Sport Connect Canada. It's $20 a month (no minimum contract) for streaming all the BeIN Sports channels. They show a lot of Championship games, including the Barnsley game tomorrow.

wurzelgull

Apr 1, 2016
Gutted to learn there's no Albion bars here in Van! I arrived a few days ago and am looking for work / housing.

I did manage to find a stream for the Barnsley game, but it was at on at 7 in the morning, so perhaps a bit early for a beer anyway. In actual fact, it doesn't appear that drinking is a big part of the culture here in general, which is obviously very worrying!

I also play football very badly. If anyone knows of a five aside team here that's not too competitive I would be interested.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Gutted to learn there's no Albion bars here in Van! I arrived a few days ago and am looking for work / housing.

I did manage to find a stream for the Barnsley game, but it was at on at 7 in the morning, so perhaps a bit early for a beer anyway. In actual fact, it doesn't appear that drinking is a big part of the culture here in general, which is obviously very worrying!

I also play football very badly. If anyone knows of a five aside team here that's not too competitive I would be interested.

Welcome!
Are you in a hostel atm?

I've got 2 teams going from April onwards, send me a message and we can sort something out.
They're rec teams, mix of girls and guys. Proper league but all in good fun etc.

Plenty of drinking going on where I was staying!?

wurzelgull

Apr 1, 2016
Welcome!
Are you in a hostel atm?

I've got 2 teams going from April onwards, send me a message and we can sort something out.
They're rec teams, mix of girls and guys. Proper league but all in good fun etc.

Plenty of drinking going on where I was staying!?

Not a hostel, an airbnb, so a bit quieter. But the place definitely isn't littered with bars! And it seems as though a lot of places have food licenses, so standing is not permitted. I can see why we have our Brits abroad reputation now. It's because everyone else in the world is doing it wrong and being far too civilised!

Will send you a message

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
[Tweet]834827732122865664[/tweet]

Looks like you could go to The Pint (455 Abbott St).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Was there last month. They don't really do pubs !

kelownaseagull

Sep 13, 2003
BC Canada
Doesn't the old Setanta sports operate over in Canada anymore?
Not sure what they're called know.

No, that disappeared ages ago. Sportsnet World used to cover the Championship until BeIn Sports took it over. Most of the main providers in BC cover it except Shaw Cable. You need to find a pub that carries Telus or Bell with BeIn Sports.

You may want to try the Shark Club on Georgia St (downtown). They cover alot of sports, but not sure on the footy front.

Could try http://www.livesoccertv.com/pubs/british-columbia/

Good luck

** NOTE - I just checked and BeIn Sports aren't covering the Wigan game on Monday (http://www.beinsports.com/us/tv-guide). They are showing the Newc, Hudds and Ful games one after each other.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Season ticket holder here going to be in Van and surrounding area from 1-14 Aug 2017. Any advice for Van 1-6 Aug with family also 7-13 Aug Van Island?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I've searched far and wide in downtown Van.
Unfortunately none of the bars I've searched have the US Bein channels/Canadian sports channels that show EFL games.

I missed last years play-offs trying every bar and going through the channels, but no joy.

If you manage to find one, I'll be delighted and surprised.

I've been streaming since being over here. Sorry!

Edit: Who's coming over? And is it for a holiday, travel, work?

nae Chance of Soccer in Pole-Dance City BC , Eh ?

kelownaseagull

Sep 13, 2003
BC Canada
Season ticket holder here going to be in Van and surrounding area from 1-14 Aug 2017. Any advice for Van 1-6 Aug with family also 7-13 Aug Van Island?

On the proviso we're in the PL, you'll be able to catch the games easily on TSN and Sportsnet. They are standard channels, so if in a hotel you'll have them. Just remember the time difference, 3 pm games start at 7 am PT :thumbsup:

Channels are tsn.ca and sportsnet.ca. You can check nearer the time on their websites to see when the games are on.

wurzelgull

Apr 1, 2016
This was a non-starter before given that The Championship is not broadcast in the bars here. But in case no one's heard we're going to be playing in The Premier League this season... (apparently we need a striker too in case you're REALLY out the loop).

Come on then NSC, any suggestions??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here