Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Albion mamager?

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
Have to agree with others. Clough as he just didn't give a sh1t and thought he was too good and Sami. Although in the latter's defence, he did say that he isn't a manager and that he needed an assistant but he was awful.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I only saw a couple of Sami's games (fortunately) but I'm surpised nobody's nominated Barry Lloyd.

OK he got us to the playoff final (where we didn't turn up) but he was a very poor manager. I have this on good authority from the writers for Gulls Eye.

And they were right.
Have to say Barry Llyods football was some of the most boring football I remember always sidewards play, how we got to playoff I dont know

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Jimmy Melia for me.. not just on the pitch, but just remember feeling that the Club became a circus , were relegated from Division 1, and were horribly average in Division 2. And I still say all that on the basis that 3 of my fondest Albion memories (Cup semi-final, Cup Final and smashing Charlton 7-0) all happened under his tenure.. Have no stats to back up the feelings and sentiments that I had at the time.. maybe biased as this was the first period that I had seen our team struggle so badly..

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Mama(ger) used to say take your time young man
Mama(ger) used to say don't you rush to get old,
Mama(ger) used to say take it in your stride
Mama(ger) used to say live you life, live your life...
Mama(ger) said knock you out.

el punal

'Worst Albion mamager'? If mammary serves me correctly it would be Brian Clough, he made himself look a right tit sometimes. Sami boobed big time, he had no support and nothing up front - good player, but as a manager, a busted flush.

I think I'll lie down now. :cool:

Jan 22, 2017
Hyypia

1922_Anger_InsideOut_341-375x400.jpg

Oct 25, 2003
Played 26, W6 D10 L10. Took us to the 4th round of the League cup. Hinsh lost 10 in a row, after 1 win and 1 draw.

but Hinshelwood was thrown in at the deep end not far from the beginning of the season and had a team with hardly any experience at that level and a minuscule budget to rectify that. He also had by far his best player (Zamora) unavailable for a fair chunk of his short tenure (Kuipers got injured as well for a bit didn't he?).

Hyypia had a better record but he had a team that, even with the sales of the likes of Ulloa should never have been near the bottom. Yes, maybe he didn't have much say in transfers meaning he was lumbered with the likes of Colunga, O'Grady, McCourt, Holla etc. but there were still good players in that squad- players that were part of top 6 teams either side of his tenure.

Perhaps what is more telling is that Hughton was able to drag Hyypias team into safety relatively easily with few additions, whereas even Steve Coppell- a superb manager at Championship level was unable to save that team even with some good signings.

Don't get me wrong, they were both terrible and statistically Hinsh was worse but I don't think you can ignore the resources at their disposal.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
Adams' second spell was my most depressing as an Albion fan. We'd punched above our weight a bit the previous season finishing 7th with a young squad. Adams made some TERRIBLE signings- probably the worst spell of signings in the Withdean era which is saying a lot....I'm talking Livermore, McLeod, Jarrett, Savage and I'm sure I'm merely scratching the surface. From memory we used an utterly obscene amount of players that year- something like 45. The football was dreadful as were the results and we just looked completely hopeless every single game- this is despite him having Murray and Forster at his disposal. I remember getting genuinely excited about the Johnstones Paint Trophy that year as against all the odds we made the Southern Final but we even managed to mess that up, losing to Luton. I'm somewhat glad as I want my first Albion related Wembley trip to be a glorious one rather than watching Jason Jarrett and co stinking the place out.

Awful season and thank the lord for Russell Slade- how different our path would have been were it not for his heroics that year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Martin Hinshelwood.

Disagree strongly. If rumour is to believed, the Albion were snubbed by at the eleventh hour by some nonentity World Cup manager with big hair, and Hinsh The Elder was asked to step in by DK at a moment's notice. He was on a hiding to nothing. Hyypiä on the other hand was freely chosen by the club's board for no good reason at all (I mean, how inspirational must his interview spiel have been? ???) Luckily he was a decent bloke and did the decent thing and resigned the day after the Junior Seagulls Xmas Party, else it was the board's complacency that would have taken us down.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Mickey Adams second spell produced the worst football I have seen.
Hinshelwood produced the worst set of results.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
All valid shouts, and a pretty compelling case for Sami.

Personally, I'd go for Mickey Adams II. His tactics were SO bizarre, his team selections SO mental, that it was almost like he was TRYING to lose.

What are you talking about? Adam Virgo was the best right winger the Albion have ever had.

*tongue placed very firmly in cheek*

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Disagree strongly. If rumour is to believed, the Albion were snubbed by at the eleventh hour by some nonentity World Cup manager with big hair, and Hinsh The Elder was asked to step in by DK at a moment's notice. He was on a hiding to nothing. Hyypiä on the other hand was freely chosen by the club's board for no good reason at all (I mean, how inspirational must his interview spiel have been? ???) Luckily he was a decent bloke and did the decent thing and resigned the day after the Junior Seagulls Xmas Party, else it was the board's complacency that would have taken us down.

Hinsh could have said no, or resigned.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hinsh could have said no, or resigned.

And turn down the opportunity to manage the first team? Don't think so somehow. He'd have been relying on the law of averages, if nothing else, to at least get him SOME kind of results to keep him in a job (same as Hyypiä really). But nope, Hinsh's results were unrelentingly cruel. His interview in 'The Withdean Years' is actually quite sad to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here