Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT. Large bird of prey

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think this is/was the main re-introduction site which kick-started the Red Kite's revival in England about 15 years ago. It's certainly where I first started seeing them, anyway.

Almost crashed the car first time I saw one. Couldn't be anything else because of the forked tail and at the time, I thought they were still confined to wilder parts of Wales. Then I saw another one about half a mile down the road, and another half a mile after that. Looked it up when I got home and it turned out the population was already exploding, and they have since used the motorway network and its abundant roadkill to spread out over large parts of central England. Still haven't seen one in Sussex though, & was beginning to wonder why they hadn't made it down the M23, so good to hear they have started to arrive.

If you want to see them in Sussex visit a site called the Burgh just near Arundel. Loads of them around there (as well as buzzards and short eared owls)

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Spotted a Red Kite over Old Winchester Hill in Hampshire just before Christmas so they're spreading out it would seem. A majestic sight - nearly fell of my bike!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Red Kite wingspan is slightly bigger than Marsh Harrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is one missing from a sanctuary near aldingbourne which has been on radio Sussex.
Can you email radio Sussex with any sightings

Reminiscent of Radio Norwich's Alan Partridge: "I know a CRACKING owl sanctuary!".

Lush

Mods' Pet
The missing bird of prey from Aldingbourne is a owl.

A European eagle owl.

tumblr_nm33dj3ODc1ryf03io1_1280.jpg

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I think this is/was the main re-introduction site which kick-started the Red Kite's revival in England about 15 years ago. It's certainly where I first started seeing them, anyway.

Almost crashed the car first time I saw one. Couldn't be anything else because of the forked tail and at the time, I thought they were still confined to wilder parts of Wales. Then I saw another one about half a mile down the road, and another half a mile after that. Looked it up when I got home and it turned out the population was already exploding, and they have since used the motorway network and its abundant roadkill to spread out over large parts of central England. Still haven't seen one in Sussex though, & was beginning to wonder why they hadn't made it down the M23, so good to hear they have started to arrive.

The Downs above Burpham near Arundel is the place you need to go to. Actually had a kite investigate what I was by swooping down into my eyeline south of the village of Burpham. Also disturbed one dismembering a rabbit near Lee Farm to the east of the village. You'll get both kites and buzzards often hovering on the same thermals, the former tolerates the latter as long as they don't get too near then they chase them off.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There is one missing from a sanctuary near aldingbourne which has been on radio Sussex.
Can you email radio Sussex with any sightings

How can it be missing if it has been on Radio Sussex.
Or did Radio Sussex give it anonymity because technically it has done nothing wrong except want it's freedom.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The M40 near High Wycombe has loads of Red Kites patrolling for road kill.

Also, there's a massive landfill site up near Horsham (just NE of Warnham, off the A264 between the A24 and A27) and there are a number that feed there on the rubbish tip. I've seen them when were visiting Sussex Campervans which is right next door. Massive birds, and a very distinctive outline.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
How can it be missing if it has been on Radio Sussex.
Or did Radio Sussex give it anonymity because technically it has done nothing wrong except want it's freedom.

It's been hand reared apparently and doesn't know how to hunt. They're saying it may not survive.
Was a big feature on radio Sussex 3 weeks back

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I've always wondered whether birds that eat carrion, see a live sparrow, have a quick look over both shoulders, give it a quick nut, then say oh look there's a dead one!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Another red kite sighting from me, about a year ago, near Lewes on the Brooks south of the town.

We also have a pair of Buzzards recently sighted over the field above our house near Kingston. Which is not so surprising as it's full of rabbits!

PG

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I was working near Wakehurst yesterday when I spotted a bird of prey in the garden. As I got closer ( it was about 6m above me for 5 minutes) it was clear it was not the usual buzzard, in fact it was about twice the size! It had finger feathers on the ends of it's wings and a blunt v tail brown with no obvious colour.

A quick google search suggested a marsh harrier, but they don't live round here. Has anyone heard of any sightings of harrier like birds in the mid-Sussex area?

Oh yes and I know :needpics: but I'm up there again on Friday and will try my best.

Red kites spotted at Ardingly reservoir recently I m told Also told by a twitcher that they re often seen at Worth which is just up the road

D

Deleted member 2719

Owls and robins i quite like, but all the rest can emigrate.

Especially those birds that shite all over our cars. :guns:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
North of Petworth just a couple miles up the road and Red Kites are numerous. Further South Buzzards are more common but there are a lot of both species evident when I go for my jog up the road.....you see them in the trees and being chased off by rooks and crows who seem to have no fear against its much larger cousin.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Owls and robins i quite like, but all the rest can emigrate.

Especially those birds that shite all over our cars. :guns:
He he Mouldy when we used to go away you used to tell us you hated birds they were beaky feathery things. Steve P used to admire Pigs.....strange lad.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here