Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I alone in thinking we played alright last night?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I think what is worrying is the number of times we go behind in games at the moment. Burton aside, it seems to happen in pretty much every game of late. We need to start better.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Nope I thought a rejuvenated Ipswich side with two tricksy strikers would cause us problems and they did.

We played perhaps slightly below our optimum but wouldn't lay the blame with any one specific and more likely put the General supporter malaise down to two separate issues:

1. Having a young enthusiastic supporter base since moving to the Amex which has in reality only known exceptionally good times leads to high expectations and coupled with a global phenomena of need for instant gratification makes it difficult to filter through the inevitable crud to find a sense of reality.

2. For the older fan base we have a tendency to be naturally pessimistic as we've seen things go wrong before and always steel ourselves from getting carried away.

Both of the above tend to lead to nervousness. We need to translate the nervous energy into fervent unwavering support.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree completely. Even with many of our front players below par we played pretty well and on 9 out of 10 nights we win that game.

The negativity is more nerves given the other results, compounded by memories of last season. At one point last night we were eyeing up a 9 point buffer over Huddersfield and the others. This morning the reality is somewhat different.

Agree with this.

We created chances and looked far more likely to score than Ipswich. Had the Murray chance gone in then many people would have been on here saying we're going up.

We're playing just fine. In a great position in the league. But, it's far from over. We've got a lot to do to get that automatic place. So have Newcastle. The top 2 could come from any one of 5 teams in my view.

Exciting times, if nail biting.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We created chances and looked far more likely to score than Ipswich. Had the Murray chance gone in then many people would have been on here saying we're going up...
Someone else has said it (and it is obvious) but if Murray's shot had been an inch different and gone in, and Huddersfield had not scored in added time, then NSC today would indeed have been full of talk about our automatic promotion, the title and Huddersfield's temporary threat inevitably dissipating...

Small margins.

I'm expecting us to win at Barnsley.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought a lot of the play was encouraging and I'm not overly concerned as it was just one of those nights. For me, the last 15/20 minutes of all the matches last night sum up how unpredictable the Championship is and how everyone – on their day – can beat anyone. There was a point where Newcastle, Huddersfield and Reading were all losing. I kinda knew that at least one of them would get something from their games, but for all three? That's a bit annoying, but it happens. Look at some of the games we've snatched one or three points from this season where people thought we wouldn't. Like I say, it happens.

Whose to say that we win on Saturday and Huddersfield lose their next league game, there's a big old gap between us again, and this place can calm down again?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Sky Sports summariser (Paul Walsh) said it was the worst Brighton performance he'd seen all season - and he is for some reason unable to say anything good about us. Ever! It appears to be a great effort for him to even admit we're in second place!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I say this again for all those who are whinging about our defence and coming up with phrases like Stockdale having to make 3 or four great saves.

Ipswich only had three shots on target. So how many saves did Stockdale have to make? How bad was our defence?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We did not play well against a team that did not play well and were carrying a lot of injuries. It is a game we should have won easily if we are going to go up. We really need to pick themselves up and sharpen a few edges, up front and in midfield.

I think the main issue last night was at the front , they did not hold the ball and AK really did not fireup , ironically I think they substituted Solly March when (IMO) he was best of the bunch. Having a poor front-line meant more pressure on midfield and they made mistakes.

Back four were good and once again Dunk has to lead the charge. really need to get points before his next suspension kicks in.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I thought we played alright 👍

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Sky Sports summariser (Paul Walsh) said it was the worst Brighton performance he'd seen all season - and he is for some reason unable to say anything good about us. Ever! It appears to be a great effort for him to even admit we're in second place!

Interesting because most of my friends/family who don't go, say that he is normally v supportive, but as you say said we were poor last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I say this again for all those who are whinging about our defence and coming up with phrases like Stockdale having to make 3 or four great saves.

Ipswich only had three shots on target. So how many saves did Stockdale have to make? How bad was our defence?

These stats can be very misleading. That is simply not true.

Just off the top of my head:

1. The goal
2. Stockdale save with his legs from McGoldrick, end of first half
3. Stockdale save with his foot, from Lawrence, 46th Minute
4. Sidwell header off the line, from McGoldrick
5. Block by Duffy from Huws, right at the end.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
These stats can be very misleading. That is simply not true.

Just off the top of my head:

1. The goal
2. Stockdale save with his legs from McGoldrick, end of first half
3. Stockdale save with his foot, from Lawrence, 46th Minute
4. Sidwell header off the line, from McGoldrick
5. Block by Duffy from Huws, right at the end.

BBC game report says 5 shots on target fro Albion, and 4 for Ipswich.

IMO, the reaction follows the result. We should have won that at the end, and could have scored 2-3 goals in last 15 minutes. There is another thread knocking Knocky; again I thought he did fine. Pity he shot when he should have passed and passed when he should have shot in the forst half, but he was a constant threat.

The pressure is on as Sidders admitted at the end of the game, but soon the pressure will be on Udders, not to mention the fixture backlog they face, particularly if they get a result on Saturday. We have faced this pressure before so let's keep calm and take each as it comes.

Xzlod

May 18, 2016
No, you're not alone. I thought we played well. In fact I was encouraged to see good energy levels last night and some excellent phases of play. If we play like that in every game from now, and cut out the unforced errors, I know we can do it. Ipswich were well organised and tough to break down. Yet we stuck at it and I thought were unlucky in the end. You can't complain about the commitment of the players either. Duffy played half the game with a broken nose! That takes more guts than I'll ever have.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
There is one thing that has changed in the last 3 months and that thing is PACE.

I thought we played well last night but it's the creating chances that is stopping us winning. When we play with pace we create opportunities. Look at Huddersfield at the moment, or any Premier league team, including the lower ones, way more pace.

I don't know why we have changed since the beginning of the season but we need to get that back, asap.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My take on it was we had a great tempo to the game and cannot fault the effort of the players but

- too many games recently we have conceded first which has left us chasing the game and does not suit the way we like to control proceedings

- lots of stray passes and poor decision making in the final third limited our chances on goal

- we resorted to long desperate balls far too early in the second half when we know our best chance of scoring lay in playing through them

However on a positive note there were flashes of the side we know and love as we moved the ball quickly from right to left pulling Ipswich out of position and broke quickly.

Far too early to be pressing the panic button but will have to address these areas quickly if we want to get a decent return from the next 3 games

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My take on it was we had a great tempo to the game and cannot fault the effort of the players but

- too many games recently we have conceded first which has left us chasing the game and does not suit the way we like to control proceedings

- lots of stray passes and poor decision making in the final third limited our chances on goal

- we resorted to long desperate balls far too early in the second half when we know our best chance of scoring lay in playing through them

However on a positive note there were flashes of the side we know and love as we moved the ball quickly from right to left pulling Ipswich out of position and broke quickly.

Far too early to be pressing the panic button but will have to address these areas quickly if we want to get a decent return from the next 3 games
I would suggest all 3 are one of the same.

There was definitely some poor decision making in their half.
Bye-line then cross, just wasn't working with the way Ipswich packed their defence.

Thanks to 20/20 hindsight vision, the winning move may well have been to utilize Murphy's constant desire to cut inside, from the start, or certainly considerably earlier than the 20 minutes or so he was given.
(Oh and I sure as hell never thought that last night, or at any time yesterday!!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here