Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hudders fan here, thanks for all the nice comments, one game at a time and all that. Whatever happens we will have had a wonderful season, so all the talk of automatics etc on our board is just that, talk.

Do want to mention this second team / string weak squad business though, as lots of the opposition fans seem to think that these things will effect us. Maybe you're right but Wagner doesn't see it like that, we have a squad of 24+ and they're all involved and have had league games. For Rotherham there were five changes to QPR Saturday. My view of the team is as follows:
Keeper. Ward, on loan from Liverpool, has to play 75% of games but many believe Coleman is as good or better.
Smith. Right back. Cranie replacement. Slight weak spot, Cranie not as good and has age and legs against him.
Centre halves Hefele and Schindler but Stankovic and Hudson as back up. Stankovic was the one player Wagner insisted we sign in summer, classy but young and learning. Hudson, wise head, legs gone, won't make two games a week
Left back Lowe, replacement Holmes-Dennis not as good but certainly not bad and learning all the time.
Defensive midfield Hogg, very underrated and makes everything tick, endless energy, BUT out for three weeks, will be really missed. Whitehead a good player but again will struggle for two games a week at his age. Can use Billing.
Mooy. Simply the best, replacement Billing who folks were raving about a year ago. Not the same class, but no mean replacement.
Behind striker, Palmer, Brown or Payne. Palmer injured, Payne not the same class as other two, well not yet anyway, but no complaints from me.
Wings. Van La Parra, Lolley, Kachunga, Scannel injured. Nothing to worry about there, whoever plays. similar skills, rarely put in a full 90 minute shift, often get subbed one for another, well apart from Kachunga who's been immense.
Centre forward. Wells and Quaner. Jury still out on Quaner, only arrived January.
Guess what I'm saying is, I have no idea who'll get picked for the City game and honestly don't think it matters too much. If it's not working, there'll be suitable alternatives on the bench. The worry is Hoggs position. That's what may have an effect with all the games coming up. We need him back a.s.a.p. Good luck for the rest of the season, we don't play you anymore so it's in both our own hands so to speak.

Thanks for this. Have been extremely impressed with Mooy, who was awesome against us as was Brown. Many B&HA think we were just poor against you, but I'm certainly of the view that you played a considerable part in making that the case. It was quite comfortably the best opposition performance I've seen against us for a while, probably since Boro (h) last season, when we were heavily depleted by injuries. Wagner also indicated it was one of your best performances.
I was really disappointed with you at the Amex this season, however, you were top of the league and played for a point, and got what you deserved then.

Glad to see you've got a packed and tight fixture list over the next few weeks, without Hogg -- we'll take anything at this stage.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't know much about huddersfields recruitment and finances but they've done brilliant and they have dirt cheap st prices on top of that....Any neutral would prefer them to go up as they're exciting to watch just like Watford and Bournemouth in recent years.

If we get pipped then I won't begrudge them that's for sure :)

Must admit its a club that its hard to dislike, we have a lot in common with them. Would be great if it was us and them that got top 2 and Toon blew it

Thought their manager though went OTT against Leeds, it was one game they hadn't won the league

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Fair play to Huddersfield, they dismantled us and are on an extremely impressive run of form. No need for panic though we still have a 5 point cushion (GD inclusive). I feel like the anxiety amongst our fans that we are going to throw it away could well have a detrimental effect on the players so we must remain positive, if someone had offered this starting position at the beginning of the season 100% of us would have bitten hands off for it.

Need calm heads and clear thought, hopefully we can go on a run similar to the the end of last season, we've not been that impressive recently but we were never going to go the whole season without small rough patch, this league is far too competitive for that and I'd wager Huddersfield will have one along the run in also

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Hudders fan here, thanks for all the nice comments, one game at a time and all that. Whatever happens we will have had a wonderful season, so all the talk of automatics etc on our board is just that, talk.

Do want to mention this second team / string weak squad business though, as lots of the opposition fans seem to think that these things will effect us. Maybe you're right but Wagner doesn't see it like that, we have a squad of 24+ and they're all involved and have had league games. For Rotherham there were five changes to QPR Saturday. My view of the team is as follows:
Keeper. Ward, on loan from Liverpool, has to play 75% of games but many believe Coleman is as good or better.
Smith. Right back. Cranie replacement. Slight weak spot, Cranie not as good and has age and legs against him.
Centre halves Hefele and Schindler but Stankovic and Hudson as back up. Stankovic was the one player Wagner insisted we sign in summer, classy but young and learning. Hudson, wise head, legs gone, won't make two games a week
Left back Lowe, replacement Holmes-Dennis not as good but certainly not bad and learning all the time.
Defensive midfield Hogg, very underrated and makes everything tick, endless energy, BUT out for three weeks, will be really missed. Whitehead a good player but again will struggle for two games a week at his age. Can use Billing.
Mooy. Simply the best, replacement Billing who folks were raving about a year ago. Not the same class, but no mean replacement.
Behind striker, Palmer, Brown or Payne. Palmer injured, Payne not the same class as other two, well not yet anyway, but no complaints from me.
Wings. Van La Parra, Lolley, Kachunga, Scannel injured. Nothing to worry about there, whoever plays. similar skills, rarely put in a full 90 minute shift, often get subbed one for another, well apart from Kachunga who's been immense.
Centre forward. Wells and Quaner. Jury still out on Quaner, only arrived January.
Guess what I'm saying is, I have no idea who'll get picked for the City game and honestly don't think it matters too much. If it's not working, there'll be suitable alternatives on the bench. The worry is Hoggs position. That's what may have an effect with all the games coming up. We need him back a.s.a.p. Good luck for the rest of the season, we don't play you anymore so it's in both our own hands so to speak.

I think your other worry is at CF tbh. I have only seen Quaner twice so he MUST have more about him than he showed but he looked like he had won a competition to play. You need to keep Wells fit. I agree with others herein, you are the best team in the league right now but can recency last for the rest of the season? Time will tell. I think bringing Brown in is a masterstroke and I would be interested to know if we tried too. Mooy is a rare talent at this level, a midfielder who can do everything well offensively and defensively. We have similar in Kayal if if he can get back to his best but Mooy is clearly Premier League class and just maybe will actually get to play for his parent club at some point.

Good luck to you too, unfortunately for us you have made the race very interesting.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Don't know much about huddersfields recruitment and finances but they've done brilliant and they have dirt cheap st prices on top of that....Any neutral would prefer them to go up as they're exciting to watch just like Watford and Bournemouth in recent years.

If we get pipped then I won't begrudge them that's for sure :)

I wouldn't mind them coming up WITH us. Decent ground, decent fanbase, they deserve a crack at the Prem. People harp on about big clubs and history but that history only seems confined to the 70s and 80s for some reason. Hudders have done a lot in their time, albeit pre-war!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good post fella

I would love it, just love it if Hudds and Albion go up (don't care who is 1st or 2nd, certainly not at this point anyway), and Toon and all the other MASSIVE clubs get consigned to the playoffs or worse. Nice club, seems well run, bright manager and decent fans. Good luck.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I see that in the last 15 games, Huddersfield (in form) only have 1 more point than us (in a blip).

Interesting, how about the last 10 games?

They have seven more than us over the last four games, so they must have been having a bad run before the January window when they strengthened significantly, even if it was just two players, just like us last year...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Interesting, how about the last 10 games?

They have seven more than us over the last four games, so they must have been having a bad run before the January window when they strengthened significantly, even if it was just two players, just like us last year...
Made up 5 points in 10 games.

Which is 2 points in 9 games apart from the 6-pointer between us. This may be more relevant, of course, as we don't play another 6-pointer with them in the remaining 15 games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Made up 5 points in 10 games.

Which is 2 points in 9 games apart from the 6-pointer between us. This may be more relevant, of course, as we don't play another 6-pointer with them in the remaining 15 games.

True, a thumping win at Barnsley is called for

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hudds reserve team, if they get battered then it could knock their confidence a bit even if not the first team.

What about the bench ?

We need them to lose a few players to reds, yellows even an injury or two that would be nice.

I know it's not sporting behaviour wishing ill on another team or players...

But needs must and all that jazz

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some Championship clubs are so hell bent on promotion, that whatever level they're up against in the FAC, they rest their key players.

If the Hudds starting eleven that outclassed Albion, is quite different to that starting versus ManC, that will reveal Hudds intent on grabbing the PL spoils.

Hudd have today rested the following Albion destroyers, proving they have total focus on automatic promotion. Their momentum for top two is at the perfect time of the season.

Ward
Smith
Hefele
Schindler
Lowe
Hogg
Kachunga
Brown
Wells

Plus Mooy having a timely rest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions