Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theatre 2017

Theatre 2017

0 Not allowed!
    Somewhat surprised that we don't have a Theatre 2017 thread already, but if we do, perhaps this can be merged.

Just back from the Theatre Royal in Brighton for the first night of the adapted Peter James book NOT DEAD ENOUGH

The book is a dark thriller and the play has got a few comedy lines that are probably good for the theatre audience, if not for the officianados of the Peter James series. Having said that the audience seemed to enjoy it.

PJ was here of course, and came on stage for the walkdown and spoke about the collection for his police charity.

Love the books. Enjoy the plays, Overall 5/10
    I have not forgiven Lewes Council, or DeVeggie, or Archer, or Bellotti, or Stanley, or Bailey, or Whiteside, or Challis, or Saints and Spurs for that 0-0 in 1978.
    I don't get over things and I don't move on easily. OK?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Barry Izbak View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Somewhat surprised that we don't have a Theatre 2017 thread already, but if we do, perhaps this can be merged.

Just back from the Theatre Royal in Brighton for the first night of the adapted Peter James book NOT DEAD ENOUGH

The book is a dark thriller and the play has got a few comedy lines that are probably good for the theatre audience, if not for the officianados of the Peter James series. Having said that the audience seemed to enjoy it.

PJ was here of course, and came on stage for the walkdown and spoke about the collection for his police charity.

Love the books. Enjoy the plays, Overall 5/10
      Going on Saturday. Same as you, love the books - and a PJ play is a decent enough excuse for the first theatre royal visit of the year, as they always seem to be on mid-Feb
      "I'm glad they lost, 'cos if they'd 've won I'd 've been all happy. I hate being happy"

0 Not allowed!
      Big fan of Complicite theatre company since I saw The Encounter last year as part of the Brighton Festival.

Anyway they are currently performing 'Beware of Pity" at The Barbican (sold-out) BUT they had a live feed of the Sunday matinee, which is up on You Tube for a few weeks.

Incredible story telling and highly highly recommended. Don't be put off by the fact it's two hours long and in German with sous-titles

Forever a DAFT Bint
      Super Moderator

0 Not allowed!
      The Dresser by Ronald Harwood, at Chichester Festival Theatre with Ken Stott and Reece Shearsmith at the start of the month was a great night out. Very clever staging with a revolve and high quality acting throughout. Recommended 8/10

We also went to Gaslight at Theatre Royal last Friday... very wordy Victorian melodrama. For me it was a poor script but well performed. 6/10

We are going to 'Not Dead Enough' on Friday, although I was not a great fan of the previous stage plays, Mrs T seems to like them... will report back.

0 Not allowed!
      I'm not a big fan of musicals, but was persuaded to go to see EVITA at the New Theatre in Oxford last week.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The story I sort of knew anyway, but the performances were excellent, and a live orchestra in the pit always improves anything like this imho.

This theatre is also run by the Ambassador Theatre Group like our very own Theatre Royal. Its a very different place, and as the name would suggest newer than our 200 year old stage. Much bigger too, with a disappointing number of empty seats for the midweek performance I saw. One thing that was the same though was the 6 they were asking for a cold bottle of Doom Bar FFS

Whole experience 7/10
      I have not forgiven Lewes Council, or DeVeggie, or Archer, or Bellotti, or Stanley, or Bailey, or Whiteside, or Challis, or Saints and Spurs for that 0-0 in 1978.
      I don't get over things and I don't move on easily. OK?

0 Not allowed!
      Going to see the Lion King next Saturday. Have heard good reports and am looking forward to it. Might even get to see the Albion game in a local pub afterwards.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The Dresser by Ronald Harwood, at Chichester Festival Theatre with Ken Stott and Reece Shearsmith at the start of the month was a great night out. Very clever staging with a revolve and high quality acting throughout. Recommended 8/10

We also went to Gaslight at Theatre Royal last Friday... very wordy Victorian melodrama. For me it was a poor script but well performed. 6/10

We are going to 'Not Dead Enough' on Friday, although I was not a great fan of the previous stage plays, Mrs T seems to like them... will report back.
      I wasn't massively impressed with Not Dead Enough. It just didn't work for me as a play and I never imagined Cleo would be anything like as wimpy as Laura Whatmore made her. The whole point of Cleo is that she is a strong woman in her own right - not what came across at all.

Totally agree on The Dresser. It was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

1 Not allowed!
      Bat out of Hell - The Musical
      I was in London recently so stopped by and picked up a day ticket for this show. It was a great seat for a comparatively low price.

I was a little unsure at the start of the show, initially feeling 'this is all right', then as it went on it really got into its groove and by the time the interval came I was loving it. On the night I went there were a couple of absences, which led to a shfting of various other performers as the understudies moved up, but I didn't recognise the names of anyone in the cast so it wasn't a big deal. It seemed like the couple next to me had seen the show a couple of times as before it even started they were commenting that the understudy was a better singer, but not as good with the acting parts.

It's interesting to see the songs performed in ways that enhance or match their storytelling ('Objects in the Rearview Mirror' for instance becomes a song that sees three people telling stories of their childhoods, in a tender bonding moment). As a fan of meat loaf and Jim Steinman I of course enjoyed the music. My neice who is not a particular fan of theirs enjoyed it too.

One of the things that impressed me most, though, was the stage craft. Various aspects of the show were things I'd not seen on the stage before, including some spoilery things that involve the orchestra pit, and a surprising deep 'puddle'. There were also various compartments and elevated rooms etc wherein they had a live camera that projected onto various parts of the stage.

It's only showing for about 3 more weeks before transferring to toronto. If you can, check it out.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

0 Not allowed!
      Went to see Junkyard at the Kingston Rose Theatre 4 months ago.

It was a new play / musical based on a true story about a group of teenagers in Bristol who were encouraged to build their own adventure playground out of scrap wood and other materials. With a largely young and emerging group of actors, it was a very enthusiastic and well played performance.

I took my teenage daughter to see this and it was perfect for that age group and I enjoyed seeing her enjoy the power of some of the actors and the fun of most of the songs.

7 / 10 score.

I'll also be going to see this play with family at The National in November (on a Saturday where we have no game). No idea what to expect, but I have high hopes.

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/s...and-the-dragon
      Sent from my Omsung A5 Phine

0 Not allowed!
      Off to see Harry Potter parts 1 and 2 in a couple of weeks.

Not heavy or high brow but chuffed to be going.
      its everyone else not me