Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blocked in by car double parked

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
When we played at Withdean, despite the parking restrictions, many people would still park around the Withdean area and I have to admit I was one of them although in my defence my Dad was getting on and couldn't do the walking up the hill at the park and ride, I couldn't secure a parking space at Withdean as he wasn't registered disabled so we used to park up in Valley Drive. Stewards with no powers whatsoever used to patrol Valley Drive and the surrounds looking for errant fans parking up and not one of them showed any compassion to my old man despite him being old and less mobile.

This really got my goat and made me even more stubborn and park up in the same spot where some resident felt the need to put assorted cones on the kerbside every home match, he also used to come out and abuse us using foul language and being aggressive despite never having anything of the sort aimed in his direction, If he'd been polite and reasonable I might have considered not parking there but the guy was a complete bellend. I used to just move the cones or occasionally just drive over them or chuck them in his garden but the over zealous stewards were something else. They would jump out from the shadows and threaten to get your car towed or ticketed despite having no legal powers to do so, they threatened to identify me by getting the police to check my car on PNC however swiftly backed down when I told them that neither they nor the police had an legal power to do so if i wasn't committing an offence and it was only being done to see if I was a season ticket holder, they would say anything to try and stop anyone parking there. One day a pleasant steward politely asked me not to park there and so I didn't as he had made a perfectly reasonable request in a perfectly reasonable manner but for the most part they were all jobsworth cockends which I delighted in ignoring. I even had one run to the stadium in front of us once to prevent us getting in and saw him out of breath and excitedly providing a description of us to another steward near the entrance as we walked right past him, it was quite comical at times. I know there were supposed restrictions in place by the club at the time but they were all largely ignored by thousands of people and I can't help feel that had Withdean been in a less affluent neighbourhood there would have been no such pandering to the residents.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When we played at Withdean, despite the parking restrictions, many people would still park around the Withdean area and I have to admit I was one of them although in my defence my Dad was getting on and couldn't do the walking up the hill at the park and ride, I couldn't secure a parking space at Withdean as he wasn't registered disabled so we used to park up in Valley Drive. Stewards with no powers whatsoever used to patrol Valley Drive and the surrounds looking for errant fans parking up and not one of them showed any compassion to my old man despite him being old and less mobile.

This really got my goat and made me even more stubborn and park up in the same spot where some resident felt the need to put assorted cones on the kerbside every home match, he also used to come out and abuse us using foul language and being aggressive despite never having anything of the sort aimed in his direction, If he'd been polite and reasonable I might have considered not parking there but the guy was a complete bellend. I used to just move the cones or occasionally just drive over them or chuck them in his garden but the over zealous stewards were something else. They would jump out from the shadows and threaten to get your car towed or ticketed despite having no legal powers to do so, they threatened to identify me by getting the police to check my car on PNC however swiftly backed down when I told them that neither they nor the police had an legal power to do so if i wasn't committing an offence and it was only being done to see if I was a season ticket holder, they would say anything to try and stop anyone parking there. One day a pleasant steward politely asked me not to park there and so I didn't as he had made a perfectly reasonable request in a perfectly reasonable manner but for the most part they were all jobsworth cockends which I delighted in ignoring. I even had one run to the stadium in front of us once to prevent us getting in and saw him out of breath and excitedly providing a description of us to another steward near the entrance as we walked right past him, it was quite comical at times. I know there were supposed restrictions in place by the club at the time but they were all largely ignored by thousands of people and I can't help feel that had Withdean been in a less affluent neighbourhood there would have been no such pandering to the residents.

I reside in one of those roads by Withdean. The football parking restrictions in reality were ignored by all and sundry. I didn't mind at all, just say three hours x 25 occasions a season. Lots of driveways for parking by residents. 90% of my near neighbours didn't care either.

Just a few miseries, who didn't like football and/or other people being happy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh that's alright then I'll start using my neighbors drive

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

He's correct though. According to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 it is illegal to prevent someone moving their car - hence why clamping is now banned.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I reside in one of those roads by Withdean. The football parking restrictions in reality were ignored by all and sundry. I didn't mind at all, just say three hours x 25 occasions a season. Lots of driveways for parking by residents. 90% of my near neighbours didn't care either.

Just a few miseries, who didn't like football and/or other people being happy.

Glad to hear, I used to ignore after a 2hr drive each way. No one gives a f*** where I live (commuters and schools) why should I elsewhere if it's completely lawful? :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Once upon a cold winter about 20 years ago, Liverpool council decided to resurface the pavement down my road, and dumped an enormous load of paving stones on the roadway right outside my front door, where i normally parked. It promptly froze for a fortnight so they couldn't get any work done. In the mean time i had park outside other peoples houses - as near to mine as I could get. One evening after having left the cat a few doors down, the doorbell rings and a very angry and abusive scouser DEMANDS I move my car as I'm parked on HIS part of the road that he has a right to park on. Had he been slightly more civilised I might have listened, but since there was by now nowhere else to put my car I refused to move it.

He then takes a swing at me, misses, and grabs me by the throat, trying to drag me out in the street for a fight. I managed to evade him and Mrs Cat hearing the commotion managed to fetch me back indoors and slam the front door shut on the old fool. The by now incredibly irate scouse git then spends the next ten minutes shouting threats through the letter box until presumably the cold got to him and he disappeared. The police turned up half and hour later, but when I pointed out I could park where I wanted down that road so long as I wasn't causing an obstruction (which I wasn't), they went away again. They couldn't provide an alternative solution either.

I made a point of parking outside his house for the duration of the works whenever I could, although I never found out who keyed my car a couple of months later.

I don't live in that road any more.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The last thing fans wanted after enduring Hoyte, Holroyd, Graeme Smith & co was a long trek back to their cars :smile:

Not forgetting Walton in goal...! That's kind of where I was at...! In fairness I used to park off the London rd in patcham and walk down.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Back in the later 1980s my old Triumph Herald broke down on the way to work on a Tuesday morning, so I parked it neatly and caught the train. I was intending to go and fix it on Saturday morning. But on Thursday night the Police called to tell me that they had received a report of an abandoned car, and I was to move it. This was in a normal road in Southwick, parked alongside the kerb in between other cars, not in front of any driveway or anything. As far as the person who reported my car knew I could have been staying with a friend, newly moved in, or something similar!

I told the Police it was broken down and would be sorting it. And left it for an extra week.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here