Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens - Press Conference

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd like to think that we've got one eye on next season, whatever division we will be playing in.

Promotion would open up far more options!

Have some faith in Mr Hughton and the current recruitment. I mean, they've hardly put a foot wrong in 2 years, what on earth would make you think it isn't well in hand?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
"I enjoy playing with these players and this manager and nothing has changed."

"Whether it finishes this year or not i'd like to see them in the PL."

I wouldn't read too much into this interview sounds to me like he's keeping his options open, which one would presume is the only thing the club could have asked of him!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Nothing really in it, in my opinion.
When we get promoted to PL, hopefully he'll stay.
If we don't, he'll be several that will want to achieve their future in the PL.
It happened with Ulloa, it's just the way of the world.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unbelievable. Have just listened to interview and how on earth do you come to conclusion he insinuated he would leave. I t is a fact if we dont go up offers will be received from preniership clubs for numerous players and some will go. Stevens as contract is up would be a certainty. However if we go up am sure he would consider clubs offer and other clubs that may or may not be interested

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
'It's a great club, whether I finish here this year or not'
'I had to knuckle down, I enjoyed playing for this football club'
'I'll try to work hard right up to my last day at this football club'

Maybe I've taken things in the wrong context but nothing in that interview suggested to me he is going to be here next season. I so hope I've got this wrong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought it was all a bit bland and non-committal, exactly what I'd have expected really although easy to interpret a lost of 'past tense' comments like 'I've enjoyed my time here' etc as a signal that he's off. He's in a great position personally - if he stays in form and doesn't get injured, he'll probably have multiple PL options in the next window (including potentially here) and be in line for a whopping sign-on fee. He's a professional and I've no doubt he'll stay focused as long as he's playing here - it'll up his negotiating position with any club significantly so every incentive to keep playing well.

From our perspective, there are a few positions that will need to be looked at - his may or may not end up being one of them but no point worrying about that until May.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Assuming promotion we will have many options open to us if DS leaves, it won't be the end of the world.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
It will be his last chance for that big life changing contract,i don't blame him in the slightest.If we get promoted,it may be with us,if the management feel he is the best player we can sign in that position,he will not come cheep......and i don't think its a given that we would resign him.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Have some faith in Mr Hughton and the current recruitment. I mean, they've hardly put a foot wrong in 2 years, what on earth would make you think it isn't well in hand?

Who an earth suggested that? I'm simply saying the club will already have an eye and no doubt a plan on next season already. I would also hope that includes a list of areas where we need to recruit should we be in the Premier League.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
'It's a great club, whether I finish here this year or not'
'I had to knuckle down, I enjoyed playing for this football club'
'I'll try to work hard right up to my last day at this football club'

Maybe I've taken things in the wrong context but nothing in that interview suggested to me he is going to be here next season. I so hope I've got this wrong.

In fairness, he can't guarantee he's going to be here next season because we're not promoted at the moment. Even if we are promoted, he doesn't know what we will offer him (as I assume we'd offer more than we are now). Hence he won't say more than that.

The minute we get promoted to the Premier League, if we do, everything would change.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Definitely sounded like he was off to me. I have a feeling his boots will be chucked into the crowd at the end of the season

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When we went League One to Championship and recruited Kaz full time I remember this place going off the scale in posts. He was a fantastic full time signing for us, for the Championship. If... IF we go up, I think Dale Stephens will go well down the pecking order of importance to us fans and probably the squad, just as Kaz did.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
In fairness, he can't guarantee he's going to be here next season because we're not promoted at the moment. Even if we are promoted, he doesn't know what we will offer him (as I assume we'd offer more than we are now). Hence he won't say more than that.

The minute we get promoted to the Premier League, if we do, everything would change.

I presume the same situation with the other players out of contract, the concern for me is that the likes of Stephens and Stockdale are now able to talk to other clubs when the last window closed. Surely the likes of Dunk and others who have penned new contracts must have improved terms in there depending on what division we are playing in, begs the question why we couldn't have offered the same to those that we want to keep.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
From that press conference I am not convinced that he will go if we get promoted but perhaps that is wishful thinking.
I'm afraid that is wishful thinking. He turns 28 this summer so his next contract will be the one that sets up his retirement. He'll just go to whichever club offers him the most money and longest secure deal, which could be us IF we get promoted. Can't blame him for being non-commital with a 3rd of the season to play.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I presume the same situation with the other players out of contract, the concern for me is that the likes of Stephens and Stockdale are now able to talk to other clubs when the last window closed. Surely the likes of Dunk and others who have penned new contracts must have improved terms in there depending on what division we are playing in, begs the question why we couldn't have offered the same to those that we want to keep.
They can talk to overseas clubs, not english ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here