Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens - Press Conference

DavePage

If he had any loyalty, yes I know, he would sign a new contract at least get us some revenue…. I know why would he….stick it in his own back pocket, is the obvious answer…Sadly i’m not a fan, trust me I want to be. His tackles make Dunk look a saint, Stats can be wrong or more of a coincidence, we can win without him.
I understand the short career and taking the good offer when it’s there especially as a free agent, but when it’s my club, it’s a different matter.
It would be nice to see you stay, hopefully not because, we are the best offer. maybe a chat with Steve Sidwell might be in order, he’s been there done it but now wears our colours with his heart on his sleeve.
Come on man where is your sense of adventure? it’s inevitable that you will play in a lower division in a few seasons time, injury permitting, wouldn’t it be nice to to it with your brothers?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Makes me wonder is it because we don't have a song to sing about him . There's a song about everyone else pretty much . Hes clearly one of our best overall players - he was sublime on Saturday . And yet no song - no wonder hes thinking about leaving ....

I'd leave JUST for that... b'stards!

Dale, Dale, Dale, we all love you so please stay now

to the tune of pm Dawn's No no no.

If that doesn't make him want to stay nothing will.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If he had any loyalty, yes I know, he would sign a new contract at least get us some revenue…. I know why would he….stick it in his own back pocket, is the obvious answer…Sadly i’m not a fan, trust me I want to be. His tackles make Dunk look a saint, Stats can be wrong or more of a coincidence, we can win without him.
I understand the short career and taking the good offer when it’s there especially as a free agent, but when it’s my club, it’s a different matter.
It would be nice to see you stay, hopefully not because, we are the best offer. maybe a chat with Steve Sidwell might be in order, he’s been there done it but now wears our colours with his heart on his sleeve.
Come on man where is your sense of adventure? it’s inevitable that you will play in a lower division in a few seasons time, injury permitting, wouldn’t it be nice to to it with your brothers?

We could have sold him for 8m+ in August which is a lot of money for someone with only 1 year left, we chose not to. He has since been on money, in footballing terms, that hasn't justified his talents and performances of last season. He is now seeking to make up for that with a signing on fee from us or a potential suitor. All of this is probably his agent pulling the strings, the only thing he has made clear himself is that he wants to test himself in the highest tier of football. He is easily of PL standard and we have already cost him 1 year of playing in it, and the wealth associated with that. I'm of course glad we did, but you have to see it from his perspective and without your BHA tinted glasses on.

You can call that greed if you like, but your comparison to Steve Sidwell is way off the mark. Sidwell hadn't played football for over 6 months when we picked him up, he is nearing the end of his career and therefore will have other priorities to Dale Stephens who is very much in his prime.

The fact you are 'not a fan' of the blokes footballing ability is somewhat of a concern considering how overwhelmingly evident it is on the pitch of both his presence and absence in the side. That's foregoing the rather eye-opening stats through quite a number of games, which don't lie.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Win some lose some. Players come and go but the club remains. I can't understand why anyone would prefer to live up North instead of living down South. He's never played in the Premier league so no one knows how he will cope with the step up. Good luck to him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Since we turned down the offer from Burnley they have signed Hendrick, Barton, Defour and Brady in midfield.

If we don't go up he will definitely leave. If we do go up there are probably 2-3 clubs who might want to sign him, so he can trade them off against each other for the best deal.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Probably the most important and key post of the whole thread but most will gloss over the one & only fact posted on here :thumbsup:

Meh. I read that and thought that it would be pretty easy for her to transfer to A.N. Other University up North (Burnley Poly or somewhere?) or decide that because he's gonna get a bumper pay rise/signing on fee she doesn't NEED to study/work.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I said in the summer he will leave when his contract is up regardless and still say that. Unfortunately he holds all the cards and will be able to command a larger sign on fee that we would likely be willing to pay.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Really? Sidwell's advice would probably be that if you get the chance to play in the Prem then take it. He's had a good career in the main and probably is set for life. As for Sidwell plays with his heart on his sleeve! Really. He would be doing the same for any club he played for because he gives 100% regardless.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Question - if he does sign an extended contract with us, is he still likely to get the huge signing in fee he would be offered at other clubs?

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
I too believe he is off and good luck to him, he deserves the chance and this will secure him financially. However, why now, why does someone have to stir this up on the eve of a fairly important game, the sqaud focussed on tonights match. The first thing they are going to see is Dale maybe off. I think as usual from someone this is pisspot timing.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Must say reading the Argus take on the press conference it comes across far more as keeping his options open than the OP suggested

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may looking at this through Blue and white glasses but I think that TB must think there is a very good chance that he will sign a new improved contract if we get promoted to turn down the £8m bid. He could have sold him and bought a proven ready made replacement for next season with the proceeds, who would probably have done the same job and helped us get promoted..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Since we turned down the offer from Burnley they have signed Hendrick, Barton, Defour and Brady in midfield.

If we don't go up he will definitely leave. If we do go up there are probably 2-3 clubs who might want to sign him, so he can trade them off against each other for the best deal.

Who would you say those clubs were, assuming (fingers crossed) both divisions finish as they currently stand?

Beyond us and Burnley (granted that's 2 clubs) I can't quite see who'll be 'bidding war' keen for his signature.

I know NooBHA doesn't agree but I can't shake the feeling that in this squad DS is a very round peg slotted into a custom built round hole.
Making me wonder, irrespective as to his importance to the Albion, how transferable he is elsewhere, in the Premier League.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Question - if he does sign an extended contract with us, is he still likely to get the huge signing in fee he would be offered at other clubs?

He could get whatever size signing on fee that we choose to offer. This could range from "nothing" though "a few quid" and right up to "gazillions of pounds".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here