Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The hardest Championship ever?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
If you think this season is tough, just wait until 17/18.

Not only will Villa be completely up to speed under Bruce, but most these teams will be looking to get promoted: Norwich, Derby, Sheffield Weds and Leeds. Plus the three relegated clubs, which looks likelly to include the 15/16 Premier League Champions!

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
It's interesting to compare our season so far with Newcastle's promotion campaign under CH. Looking at points miliestones:
Points Newcastle Brighton
10 4 matches 7 matches (11 pts)
20 9 m (22pts) 12 m (22pts)
30 15 m 15 m (31pts)
40 19 m (42pts) 20 m (42 pts)
50 23 m 23 (51 pts)
60 30 matches 27 matches

So, we're ahead of Newcastle when they got over 100 pts. And of course this means nothing for this season, but it does suggest that CH knows how to plan a campaign (so far)

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
Fair do's. Is Royals Rendezvous popular is Reading Hob Nob normally is used most??

Hob Nob is far bigger if I'm honest. The "RR" started as basically the old BBC 606 Reading board back in 2010, and we've stuck at it because we didn't want the abrasiveness of some other places. Good friendly place, and active moderators. Some 800 signed up, but we all know that 75% don't ever post!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Hob Nob is far bigger if I'm honest. The "RR" started as basically the old BBC 606 Reading board back in 2010, and we've stuck at it because we didn't want the abrasiveness of some other places. Good friendly place, and active moderators. Some 800 signed up, but we all know that 75% don't ever post!

I was on the old 606 boards,from 2005 to 2010.....1teamcalledalbion was my user name..good times,i even half considered joining this board back then but never did untill 2011,when they finished the old 606 i had two choices,come home properly of hang out with the diluted not 606rs....i came home.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
From about April 2016 we all agreed (well most of us) that 2016/17 was going to be hard with Newcastle, Norwich & Villa fighting it out. Three teams were going to be battling it out at the top with huge parachute budgets. How wrong we were.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd go with slightly weaker than usual as several teams have not matched expectations. However, it could still end up like last season with a 3rd placed side incredibly unlucky to miss out with a very large points total.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Not only will Villa be completely up to speed under Bruce, but most these teams will be looking to get promoted: Norwich, Derby, Sheffield Weds and Leeds. Plus the three relegated clubs, which looks likelly to include the 15/16 Premier League Champions!

Yada yada, some folks were saying the exact same thing before the start of this season. and probably every season for the past ten years before that.

With a normal run of luck, how to deal with these Gods Of Football Of Yesteryear won't be our problem next season. Anymore than it appears to be this season. Ridiculous how some folk get BEDAZZLED by the mere name of these clubs. As a counter-balance, just take a look at the names of the crappy clubs that make up about half of the Premier League. Off yer knees!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
From about April 2016 we all agreed (well most of us) that 2016/17 was going to be hard with Newcastle, Norwich & Villa fighting it out. Three teams were going to be battling it out at the top with huge parachute budgets. How wrong we were.

Very wrong,i predicted very big things of Villa,i was so very wrong,maybe next year.

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England

plus Sheff United and Bolton and maybe Bradford coming up and making an impact like Bournemouth and Southampton did first year up ...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Which is fine because they stayed behind us.

How come? We closed the gap and ended up quite far ahead of them in the final table having been six points behind at this stage of the season? Huddersfield are exactly six points behind us...I am a Brighton fan, used to disappointment, and this is a slight concern :smile:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Indeed, a toughee but will only be tougher next year.

We really must capitalise upon our great current standing, and be successful in our quest to reach the promised land of the English Premiership.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Disagree. Boro were a bit inconsistent but fantastic at times, however Burnley never really impressed me - just a mix of lucky and efficient.

So burnley lucked their way to a 25 game unbeaten run? Burnley were extremely good.

Only luck they got was that they never had many injuries at the same time.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How come? We closed the gap and ended up quite far ahead of them in the final table having been six points behind at this stage of the season? Huddersfield are exactly six points behind us...I am a Brighton fan, used to disappointment, and this is a slight concern :smile:

Palace had 52 points from 31 then, we have 64 from 30 now. We're a better team than Palace 12-13, simple as that

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Palace had 52 points from 31 then, we have 64 from 30 now. We're a better team than Palace 12-13, simple as that

Huddersfield are a better team than we were in 12-13 too

I am worried about them, for those that aren't, good for you :shrug:

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Yada yada, some folks were saying the exact same thing before the start of this season. and probably every season for the past ten years before that.

With a normal run of luck, how to deal with these Gods Of Football Of Yesteryear won't be our problem next season. Anymore than it appears to be this season. Ridiculous how some folk get BEDAZZLED by the mere name of these clubs. As a counter-balance, just take a look at the names of the crappy clubs that make up about half of the Premier League. Off yer knees!

Without Dunk, Stephens, Knocky and possibly Kayal, March and Stockdale too, Brighton are very very unlikely to be challenging for promotion next season.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Without Dunk, Stephens, Knocky and possibly Kayal, March and Stockdale too, Brighton are very very unlikely to be challenging for promotion next season.

3 of those we would clearly get big fees for. Part of that would obviously be to keep ffp limits achievable but part of it would clearly allow us to strengthen for another go.
Not saying it wont be tough but many on here said prior to this season we would struggle to make the play offs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here