Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists protesting about road safety

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Motor cycles don't block the road, they do something useful, they look good and they make a nice noise.

Make a nice noise?
Not the :censored: that lives in my road, revs the thing for all its worth when he goes to work at 5am.
Also when he comes home he sits on his drive revving it before going in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't hate "cyclists".

I just hate the side by side, shite talking, spandex wearing, folding bike tosspots, eco-warriors, cleat wearing, camera-shod, overweight in lycra pricks who block out bloody roads and put pedestrians in danger. Just those ones.

Nerys the District Nurse? Percy the Postie? They're fine. Because they're not wearing far too small lurid spandex, they're not riding side by side, they don't shot red lights and maim pedestrians, they don't wear cameras and cleats, they don't block the road, and they don't claim to be saving the planet, and they don't stink my house or my office out with their sweaty bollocks. They just do something useful, like delivering letters, or delivering babies. They're fine.

It's all the other spandex wankers I can't be done with, that's all.

I've seen Wedgee in spandex :blush: :ohmy:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Make a nice noise?
Not the :censored: that lives in my road, revs the thing for all its worth when he goes to work at 5am.
Also when he comes home he sits on his drive revving it before going in.

There's one of those over this way too. Must be a newhaven thing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There's one of those over this way too. Must be a newhaven thing.

I'm not actually sure how many motorbikes this family have, I'm sure 3 people live in this house and all have a motorcycle.
It was a very quiet close until they appeared.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Yeah, you're ight. Motorbikes should be restricted to daytime hours for delivering blood and very important marketing materials, and nighttime hours of 6pm to 11pm only for delivering pizza. Outside these hours they should have silencers fitted.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I don't doubt you do but I see far more cars driving in thick fog / pouring rain /snow / in the dark without lights on than i do bikes.

Oh and calling [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION]

It's interesting isn't it; so many people cycle these days that almost everyone is a cyclist.

Most of the time 'cyclists' are just an excuse for people with a faux sense of self importance, who constantly moan, having a moan.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
It's interesting isn't it; so many people cycle these days that almost everyone is a cyclist.

Most of the time 'cyclists' are just an excuse for people with a faux sense of self importance, who constantly moan, having a moan.

Almost everyone is a cyclist? Oh please, have a word with yourself! Are you a deluded spandex person as well?!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
There was an interesting article somewhere and one of the points was to be tolerant of cyclists who might suddenly lurch into the middle of the road. This is usually because that bit of road is full of pot holes and by following the cyclist you'll be avoiding doing a number on your car.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
If you use deliveroo, you're part of the problem. I'm lead to believe the company put pretty much unrealistic targets on their 'drivers' which means they take stupid risks to both themselves and other people. On Friday night, I was patiently sitting at a red light in the 'cyclist' box at the front when a deliveroo guy shot past me, into the middle of the crossroads and VERY nearly into the path of an oncoming car. I just turned to the car behind me, shrugged and mouthed "what a bellend!". Driver smiled and nodded.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I drive a car, ride a motorbike and occasionally cycle if it's shorter distances.

When on two wheels, I ALWAYS give cars the right of way and respect, because I'm extremely vulnerable on the road, even more so on the bicycle.

I don't skip red lights, don't ride on the pavement and make myself as little an inconvenience as I possibly can.

What's helped is completing a full car driving test and two separate motorbike tests, which mean I know the rules of the road, and the 'unwritten rules' (or COMMON SENSE skills) that keep me safe.

I think all cyclists should HAVE to do a full bike test (theory), before they ride.
I've had one close-call with a car (whilst on motorbike), and many close calls with bicycles as many just don't seem to have any common sense (no lights, dark clothing, running reds, on the hands-free/phones, no helmet etc, etc).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How the bicycle beats evolution

scientificamericanchart1973.png

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There idiots in cars and idiots on bikes. We actually just all need to respect each other far more on the road.

And yes, I'm a cyclist.

I drive a car too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yesterday on Alison Fearns show on Radio Sussex she was talking to bike riding instructor from Lttlehampton who said parents shouldnt teach their children to ride a bike. Most hold the saddle thenlet go but she said that was wrong should hold the handle bars. Absolutely ridiculous isnt that a function of most dads.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I drive a car, ride a motorbike and occasionally cycle if it's shorter distances.

When on two wheels, I ALWAYS give cars the right of way and respect, because I'm extremely vulnerable on the road, even more so on the bicycle.

I don't skip red lights, don't ride on the pavement and make myself as little an inconvenience as I possibly can.

What's helped is completing a full car driving test and two separate motorbike tests, which mean I know the rules of the road, and the 'unwritten rules' (or COMMON SENSE skills) that keep me safe.

I think all cyclists should HAVE to do a full bike test (theory), before they ride.
I've had one close-call with a car (whilst on motorbike), and many close calls with bicycles as many just don't seem to have any common sense (no lights, dark clothing, running reds, on the hands-free/phones, no helmet etc, etc).

You are one of the few mate, well done and good point you make about learning what drivers experience on the road being relevant. It's a very different world in a car than on a bike, and if anyone on two wheels is not aware of car 'behaviour' then they are loading the odds even more. I agree in principle to the 'roads are for everyone' mantra but from a purely realistic and risk management point of view, it is much more dangerous for anyone on two wheels. Your knowledge of drivers awareness has probably saved your life a number of times.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
I've managed to go my entire adult life without hitting, or in turn being hit by a car or bike, be it powered or otherwise. Maybe some of you are just clumsy bad driving menaces to the continued survival of the human race, and should cease reproduction for the good of the species.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Funny how these bike v car threads always bring out the trolls. There's a very obvious one on this thread.

The reality is probably that there are good and bad cyclists and that there are good and bad motorists. I suspect that a good proportion of those motorists that are fed up with seemingly all cyclists are probably the same motorists that can't be arsed to signal correctly at roundabouts or junctions, or do so in good time. Or maybe they are the sort that don't check their blind spots at all and just glance in their mirrors when pulling away. I believe there were studies a few years ago showing that half of those that drive would currently fail a driving test, assuming they drove on the test the way they drive on the road.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Maybe pedestrians need to protest about pavement safety due to the ever increasing number of selfish *******s who think they have the right to cycle on the pavements and footpaths. They don't! It's illegal. Just because the OB are too lazy to do anything about it, doesn't mean that it isn't unlawful.

(And I have it in writing from the OB who agreed that it is unlawful to ride a bicycle anywhere other than the public highway or designated cycle path...but they have no intention to enforce it. That is presumably until a young child or frail senior is killed or seriously injured when we will have a massive over-reaction. I even did some numbers for Sussex Police and demonstrated how many PCSOs they could recruit if they enforced the law and collected the fines. They still didn't want to know!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here