Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool Football Club ban Sun journalists

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Slightly similar to those Albion supporters that still refuse to shop at the Goldstone Retail Park. How long do you hold a grudge.

While I am unable to say how the families feel (thankfully I have not experienced such loss) I do think that banning journalists that were not working for the Sun all those years ago does seem from the outside somewhat too late and pointless.

This made me think......and I concluded that the Sun would still do this if the same circumstances were around today (demonisation of football fans, miners etc) were around today.

So it's fine

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Surprised they didn't do it earlier. Murdoch's treatment of Mackenzie shows just how much they give a shit about what they did.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nowhere near the same logic. The Sun journos who wrote those lies are long gone.Those celebrity rapists and abusers of women/children must face justice whenever they are caught.

Kelvin Mackenzie, editor at the time of the disaster, is still a columnist.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Speaking of Hillsborough, should anyone be able to give concrete evidence of deception over this claim, UKIP could be looking for yet another leader:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...es-lying-about-being-at-hillsborough-disaster

I have no idea if Nuttall was or was not there, and don't care. But the Guardian has lost the plot in the last year or so, and should be read with caution IMHO. Not a lot better than the Daily Mail, just the opposite side of the political spectrum.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Kelvin Mackenzie, editor at the time of the disaster, is still a columnist.

Doesn't he have an office far beyond what any other columnist would have too? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Doesn't he have an office far beyond what any other columnist would have too? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

He's one of Rupert's poodles, pretty obnoxious individual, I don't believe he was really sorry.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
It is true that this is a very late decision. However I think it reflects the strong feelings that have been refocused by the inquests. Even people who knew what really happened feel empowered by the fact that it has been clearly proven in the courts and public enquiry that the fans were not to blame. There is a growing and more confident movement to stop shops selling the Sun in Liverpool. Many taxis have ban the Sun stickers. I'd never want to read that rag anyway!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slightly similar to those Albion supporters that still refuse to shop at the Goldstone Retail Park. How long do you hold a grudge.

While I am unable to say how the families feel (thankfully I have not experienced such loss) I do think that banning journalists that were not working for the Sun all those years ago does seem from the outside somewhat too late and pointless.

Apologies for the tone of my reply yesterday. I was outraged. What I should have said is that when you're cross you'll usually feel better in the morning. Grudges, however, last forever. All the best.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I have no idea if Nuttall was or was not there, and don't care. But the Guardian has lost the plot in the last year or so, and should be read with caution IMHO. Not a lot better than the Daily Mail, just the opposite side of the political spectrum.

Weird response. Everyone knows that The Guardian is left leaning. It doesn't pretend anything else. However, there is a marked distinction between its columnists and editorials which, with the odd exception, are left wing, and its news reporting which is internationally recognised for its depth and reliability. You need to make a distinction. The Daily Mail has been removed as a source from Wikipedia because of it's lack of reliability in terms of news reporting, but it's football reporting, I have always found more in depth and reliable than that of the other tabloids. It's dangerous not to understand the subtleties because there is a massive difference between a news outlet choosing its focus or angle for reporting the truth and one that just tells lies.

The article about Nuttall gives equal opportunity to both sides of the story. You may not care, but a good part of the rest of the country cares enough for me to believe that, should it be proven that he lied about Hillsborough for political gain, his career will be finished.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Weird response. Everyone knows that The Guardian is left leaning. It doesn't pretend anything else. However, there is a marked distinction between its columnists and editorials which, with the odd exception, are left wing, and its news reporting which is internationally recognised for its depth and reliability. You need to make a distinction. The Daily Mail has been removed as a source from Wikipedia because of it's lack of reliability in terms of news reporting, but it's football reporting, I have always found more in depth and reliable than that of the other tabloids. It's dangerous not to understand the subtleties because there is a massive difference between a news outlet choosing its focus or angle for reporting the truth and one that just tells lies.

The article about Nuttall gives equal opportunity to both sides of the story. You may not care, but a good part of the rest of the country cares enough for me to believe that, should it be proven that he lied about Hillsborough for political gain, his career will be finished.

His career should be finished in any case, as he believes in getting rid of the NHS.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-leader-paul-nuttall-words-9351835

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

Sorry, "news" reporting? From memory, the headline is "Nuttall denies lying". Which rather proves the point that the Guardian is suggesting he IS lying.

Well, was he there or not? That is the real story. I suggest if the Guardian's intrepid and renowned reporters had proven he wasn't there, they would have said so. They have a non-story based on the unproven allegation that he wasn’t. Which they are running because they don't approve of UKIP.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
No idea why it took LFC so long to dump the reporters from thar rag. Nice to see even the blue half calling for them to be banned as well. I think it must be difficult for people from outside the city or non LFC/Everton supporters to really understand pure unadulterated hatred for that paper. I think you must also add in the total contempt of the government at the time and its support by that paper. Many thought the cover up was also government sponsored not to make things worse.
Some posts about the club using it to hide the clubs poor form on the pitch may have some truth, but FSG need to be careful. The fans are far from stupid and the owners are not that popular and stop looking like a money making machine for the Red Sox.
Time is a good healer and I sincerely hope that all the people who were there that day and everyone who lost loved ones and friends are able to move on, but never forget.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Sorry, "news" reporting? From memory, the headline is "Nuttall denies lying". Which rather proves the point that the Guardian is suggesting he IS lying.

Well, was he there or not? That is the real story. I suggest if the Guardian's intrepid and renowned reporters had proven he wasn't there, they would have said so. They have a non-story based on the unproven allegation that he wasn’t. Which they are running because they don't approve of UKIP.

Journalists asking questions of the veracity of politician's claims happens all the time. The UK's political discourse is almost entirely based on journalists saying to politicians 'Justify yourself' or 'Why should we believe you?' The rules don't change because it's UKIP. The adversarial approach has things wrong with it, but it does rather prevent the election of outright charlatans or unqualified braggarts like the one the Americans now have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here