Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shopping at The Goldstone?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've been there twice under duress. I did find the centre spot on the first occasion which brought about a few tears and a vow never to return. Many years later I had to take the wife into a shop there. Again under duress.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I refused to go there on principle until we were up and running in our own proper ground. Once that was achieved I went there for the first time and it felt strange. But been back a few times and the more we make the Amex our home the less weird it feels going back to where the Goldstone was. The way we were shafted is unforgivable but I feel we have to be bigger than that and move on. That said, imagine what it would have been like to have a ground like the Amex where the Goldstone was.....

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst I originally took the view to boycott, after a few years I decided that it was good to go on site and remember where I had stood, sat, ran, cheered, cried, etc. for 50 years. It's fun trying to work out where different things were on the site and relive some of those memories.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Been to the TK MAx a couple of times for cheap golf tops

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Went inside as it was being demolished probably some kind of morbid fascination but it was my chance to see inside the heart of the west stand, I got to go in the Changing rooms and see the little car window kits hanging by each clothes peg ( a far cry from the Amex changing rooms) I got to see the baths and the offices, I never knew who the bloke was who showed me around but I am eternally grateful.

Somewhere I have video of the inside on the West Stand one day I will find it and post it here .

Never been back since but thats easy as I dont live in Hove.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Growing up just half a mile away, that place was where my dad introduced me to something quite magical - the love of football, and the Albion, and the sense of pride and community that came with it. The pinnacle of all that for us both was Wembley 1983. He died five years later, along with the unbreakable bonding that all those shared times at the Goldstone had nurtured.

He was never to witness our troubles, less still our rebirth at Falmer. But to walk now on the Goldstone site would, for me, be a betrayal of something uniquely wonderful that he and I both shared, and that the Archers and today's Premier League money men would be utterly incapable of ever understanding.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Never. No chance of my ever shopping there. Ever.

Hardly a massive ideological gesture when I live in Surrey though.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Been a few times and it brings back good memories and bad ones its part of our history.
Even Gillingaham and Withdean have had some bad and good memories.
I am looking forward to today's game at the Amex and taking another step forward in our clubs history.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
drove past it once out of curiosity and I can still remember the feeling of sadness I experienced at that time

for fans who witnessed the demolition,well that must have been something else

mind you the Amex ain't half bad is it :thumbsup:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Moved on big time. When I was teenager it was handy to pop over there from Hove Park for footballs etc from Sports Direct and also Burger King, but I havnt been there for years now.

I have great memories of been a kid and going to the Goldstone, my first ever football game was there and was my introduction to football, I was also at the last game and got my turf when we left and was sad to see it go, but me and my mates were not gonna cause ourselves an inconvenience if we needed a ball or a drink and were in the park opposite haha

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here