Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Policing at London matches

Jan 30, 2008
I have always found the Police very over the top in London. I don't think it is any coincidence we very rarely get a Saturday KO. The only ones they don't seem to mind are Charlton and Fulham and that is probably because their fanbase is about as intimidating as The Teletubbies. In fact in recent years I remember it being ridiculously heavy when we have been coming home through London let alone playing there. Wigan away the season before last I remember an entire tube station being basically shut down so they could move us on ASAP.
QPR , Derby,Villa and Chesterfield to name a few more :whistle:
regards
DR

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think South Yorks police are worse when it comes to football. Last game of the season a few years back at Barnsley, early kick off and no more than 400 or so Brighton fans and they had 6 or 7 police horses. Utterly ridiculous.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think South Yorks police are worse when it comes to football. Last game of the season a few years back at Barnsley, early kick off and no more than 400 or so Brighton fans and they had 6 or 7 police horses. Utterly ridiculous.

Of course they're worse! Hillsborough?! Miners strike?!!! CLIFF RICHARDS HOUSE RAID?!!!!!:mad:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Two words that football fans who travelled in the 80s and 90s will remember well when talking of Police forces.

West Midlands

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just wondered, in these hard times, how it is that the Met police justify having HUNDREDS of officers at Brentford vs Brighton, when our friends at Sussex Police need perhaps a dozen for the reverse fixture with three times the crowd.

I guess it has always been the case?

Is it just an example of London having more funding for everything? Whatever it is, it certainly makes the whole experience less pleasant. I also noticed that all of the Brentford stewards had "security" on their backs, and some of those who were walking in front of the away fans were making various gestures at us. All a far cry from the Amex experience.

Have you listened to the Albion Roar this week with Darren Balkham? Interesting that some games at the Amex we have a maybe 3 or 4 coppers at a home game, that is it. More if we are playing a bigger team but not by much. Seems to be the way to go. A line of coppers or being frog marched to and from a ground seems to get the Danny Dyers more hyped up and acting like dicks. Less of a police presence seems to lower the dick swinging posturing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have you listened to the Albion Roar this week with Darren Balkham? Interesting that some games at the Amex we have a maybe 3 or 4 coppers at a home game, that is it. More if we are playing a bigger team but not by much. Seems to be the way to go. A line of coppers or being frog marched to and from a ground seems to get the Danny Dyers more hyped up and acting like dicks. Less of a police presence seems to lower the dick swinging posturing.

That was my point tbh. Seems mad that they needed three or four on every street corner last Sunday.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I have always found the Police very over the top in London. I don't think it is any coincidence we very rarely get a Saturday KO. The only ones they don't seem to mind are Charlton and Fulham and that is probably because their fanbase is about as intimidating as The Teletubbies. In fact in recent years I remember it being ridiculously heavy when we have been coming home through London let alone playing there. Wigan away the season before last I remember an entire tube station being basically shut down so they could move us on ASAP.

To be honest.. Even United were surprised by the numbers coming back through London that day..

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
All the away stewards there are very friendly & always have a smile on their face.

Anyone know why 1 of our fans was being marched out along the front of the stand?

After our second goal, everyone got a bit excited (oh really?). A small group of lads jumped on top of the advertising boards and one was pulled off by the stewards (ohh err missus), who seemed in a bit of a panic for a few seconds as it all went a bit mental, and he was marched off. Anyway, the lad returned to rejoin his mates minutes later to heroic back slaps and drunken manly hugs. It was beautiful to watch.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I thought the stewards or poissibly volunteers at Brentford train station were fantastic handing out printed cards with directions to the ground, found them very polite. If I remember they had Brentford FC clothing on.

After the Olympics I have often thought you can replace a large percentage of paid stewards with volunteers under supervision.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

That has to be true. I've never got involved in any stupidity at a football match, but I've been close to losing it with Met Officers in the past. Mostly at Orient.

Jan 30, 2008
that's because it's smudged up with CCTV ,that way Balkham sits back and picks up the piece's :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here