Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Firing Squads and Gas Chambers

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could they not get one of those little rich girls you see on Facebook, you know, the ones that shoot vicious giraffes and then have their picture taken, to carry out the executions?

It could be shown on TV (Pay Per View of course). Premium payers could watch a little waterboarding first.

"It's gonna be great" :thumbsup:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I find it very strange that the abominable acts that America did in the dropping of the two bombs seems to have been deemed as acceptable by history. The second bomb was a different type so they could test it against the first and see it's effect on live subjects!

I'm sure the correct deterrent for continued hostilities would have been a live test on a remote island as a warning then saying to Japan the next one is on you unless you surrender.

However then they wouldn't have known what the true effect on humans would be.

It has been said that the Soviet Union was on the verge of defeating Japan and the first bomb wasn't even necessary.

The bomb was most likely dropped so the US could claim the victory before the USSR. I think this is a view that many historians share today.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
To be fair, I didn't read the original post as blaming this on Trump. Anybody with any sense would realise that the execution thing predated him - it hasn't occurred in the last 2 or three weeks. But Trump certainly won't make it any better.

But there is a valid point about what sort of country does one want to be identified with. Even though Obama might have presided over the same situation, at least he wanted to change it.

My own concern is that we might, if we over-alienate ourselves from Europe, be pushed in to becoming de-facto the 51st state.

The last time the special relationship got special it ended badly. Nothing wrong with a friendship but not a marriage, most of Trumps values are not ours

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
What's this got to do with Trump?

I'm getting so pissed off with people blaming everything on Trump, even when it has nothing to do with him, that i am now going to support him. I suspect this is how he came into power and if the 'antis' are not careful he'll probably get re-elected again.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I was under the impression that this was to do with European companies refusing to sell the drugs used in lethal injections to the US.

Bloody Europe!
Ha.. yes.... the irony of it....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And in reply I would ask you:

Why have we been looking to get closer to Saudi Arabia and China for years? Is it because of their gleaming spotless record on human rights?

Personally I oppose the death penalty, but at least in the US you get a fair trial and an appeals process before they execute you. Same can't be said for our other "best buddies" can it?

I think a lot of people on death row in the US would argue that's not true. There's a number of stories of people being executed wrongly despite overwhelming evidence showing their conviction should be quashed. Funnily enough, they seem to have one thing in common.

I'm not arguing we should be getting closer to Saudi Arabia and China. I'm very against it until they both dramatically improve their human rights record. As others have said, by alienating ourselves from Europe, we leave ourselves trying to build stronger relationships with countries like these.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Bit of a confusing thread.Is it blaming Trump for Hiroshima and Nagasaki?Do the 33 states with the death penalty have 100% Trump votes?Obama had 8 years but did nothing about it-why?

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
I find it very strange that the abominable acts that America did in the dropping of the two bombs seems to have been deemed as acceptable by history. The second bomb was a different type so they could test it against the first and see it's effect on live subjects!

I'm sure the correct deterrent for continued hostilities would have been a live test on a remote island as a warning then saying to Japan the next one is on you unless you surrender.

However then they wouldn't have known what the true effect on humans would be.

History has always been written by the victors!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I was under the impression that this was to do with European companies refusing to sell the drugs used in lethal injections to the US.

Bloody Europe!

Aaaah of course the USA really need europe to produce those medicines, dont they ?

You can just see it .....

Brussels, I was thinking of banning the supply of drugs to the USA that might be used in lethal injection.

Advisor: But we dont supply them anyway

Brussels: Perfect, just perfect, thats what we'll do then.

and you get your europe flagged boxer shorts all in a tizzy, how dozy can you possibly be.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Aaaah of course the USA really need europe to produce those medicines, dont they ?

You can just see it .....

Brussels, I was thinking of banning the supply of drugs to the USA that might be used in lethal injection.

Advisor: But we dont supply them anyway

Brussels: Perfect, just perfect, thats what we'll do then.

and you get your europe flagged boxer shorts all in a tizzy, how dozy can you possibly be.

Can Europe End the Death Penalty in America? - https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...rope-end-the-death-penalty-in-america/283790/

Europe Pushes to Keep Lethal Injection Drugs From U.S. Prisons - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...thal-injection-drugs-from-u-dot-s-dot-prisons

ZZzzzzzzzzz...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Except that's actually what happened, pretty much. Lundbeck as manufacturer pulled the drug used for most lethal injections some years ago and other drugs have become impossible to get also. They're all quite old and out of patent but there is little demand for another generic maker to enter the market as the demand for death penalty use is very little and they'd find it hard to get other customers.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It is strange that it is really easy and non painful to put a dog to sleep but we struggle with the right lethal drugs for humans.

Surely they would use the same drug as used on animals, and if not, I wonder why not. :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think a lot of people on death row in the US would argue that's not true. There's a number of stories of people being executed wrongly despite overwhelming evidence showing their conviction should be quashed. Funnily enough, they seem to have one thing in common.

I'm not arguing we should be getting closer to Saudi Arabia and China. I'm very against it until they both dramatically improve their human rights record. As others have said, by alienating ourselves from Europe, we leave ourselves trying to build stronger relationships with countries like these.

Except the attempt to strengthen relationships with China and Saudi Arabia pre date the referendum. In or out of the EU this country would be pursuing this agenda.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All this to ensure that inmates can be put to death without violating the constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.

Personally i would have thought that death is cruel but 33 states still have the death penalty.
Death is cruel, you're quite right. But not unusual.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It has been said that the Soviet Union was on the verge of defeating Japan and the first bomb wasn't even necessary.

The bomb was most likely dropped so the US could claim the victory before the USSR. I think this is a view that many historians share today.
I think it's a view that you hold today............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here