Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are schools loosing control

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
NO ONE'S DENYING THAT, MY POINT IS THEY'RE BEING GIVEN THE GREEN LIGHT BY THEIR PARENTS behaviour IN MOST CASES ???
regards
DR

And what I am saying is, whatever you might think are the causes, the outcomes are similar now, as ever, kids mess about in school.

You asked where the discipline has gone, as if we all rolled up smartly turned out in correct uniform, without an eigth of red leb and a pack of ten B&H, no knives, no bunking off, no scrapping, no practical sex education at the bottom of the field, no shoplifting, vandalism or cheeking the teachers.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Socrates said this a few years back. Nothing changes, kids are kids.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Well, Brazil have gone backwards since he stopped playing

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Quote Originally Posted by Bob'n'weave View Post

Well, Brazil have gone backwards since he stopped playing

:lolol:

Should've seen that one coming.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It is not any worse today than 30 years ago on the whole.
During my time at school, my school used to meet up with a nearby school for mass brawls twice a year, 3 separate arson attacks by pupils on the school, kids would frequently be drunk or high, afternoons were sort of optional, local shops would be raided at lunchtimes and after school by shoplifting kids, a weak teacher would be found out quickly and several were reduced to tears or to screaming rage, some toughened up, others just quit.
I go in to schools now and see far less graffiti, vandalism and deviation from the uniform than when I was an inmate.
I did some work at a school in Hackney and they had the old punishment book from the 70's up on display, listing the various beatings handed out to pupils.
There were 3 strokes of the cane handed out to a boy for "throwing a chisel at Wilkins" 2 strokes each handed out to 2 boys for fighting, 3 strokes for hitting another boy with a mallet, 6 strokes for failing to produce homework at the second opportunity, 6 strokes for talking back and 6 strokes for continual lateness.
Kids have always misbehaved, teachers just don't get the satisfaction of striping their arses anymore when they do.

So you get twice as many strokes for being late or talking back, than you do for LUZZING a CHISEL at someone. I'm not sure about their sentencing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So you get twice as many strokes for being late or talking back, than you do for LUZZING a CHISEL at someone. I'm not sure about their sentencing.

Its possible, in mitigation, that Wilkins was a tw4t?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It is not any worse today than 30 years ago on the whole.
During my time at school, my school used to meet up with a nearby school for mass brawls twice a year, 3 separate arson attacks by pupils on the school, kids would frequently be drunk or high, afternoons were sort of optional, local shops would be raided at lunchtimes and after school by shoplifting kids, a weak teacher would be found out quickly and several were reduced to tears or to screaming rage, some toughened up, others just quit.
I go in to schools now and see far less graffiti, vandalism and deviation from the uniform than when I was an inmate.
I did some work at a school in Hackney and they had the old punishment book from the 70's up on display, listing the various beatings handed out to pupils.
There were 3 strokes of the cane handed out to a boy for "throwing a chisel at Wilkins" 2 strokes each handed out to 2 boys for fighting, 3 strokes for hitting another boy with a mallet, 6 strokes for failing to produce homework at the second opportunity, 6 strokes for talking back and 6 strokes for continual lateness.
Kids have always misbehaved, teachers just don't get the satisfaction of striping their arses anymore when they do.

Your school sounds like Patcham Fawcett when I went there in the late 70s/ early 80s, apart from the arson attacks, we had all sorts at this school, but I don't remember any arsonists :eek:
I do recall someone setting off a home made explosive device though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Its possible, in mitigation, that Wilkins was a tw4t?

That's a good point which I hadn't considered. I imagine there were some character witnesses brought forward before sentencing.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think you have answered your own question. No discipline/respect from parents leads to huge problems in schools. All teachers can do is tell pupils off or give them detentions - if parents then storm into schools arguing with teachers about their precious getting a detention it makes things very hard. The discipline begins at home.
Schools cannot simply kick out poorly behaved kids any more either - there is a mountain of paperwork to wade through first and even then it often gets over turned.

You've summed up one of the many reasons I quit teaching - most parents in this country have done a shoddy job in bringing up their children. I do not envy teachers at all, it's a horrible profession full of generally amazing people who are just trying to make a difference, but they are undermined at almost every corner.

Jan 30, 2008
And what I am saying is, whatever you might think are the causes, the outcomes are similar now, as ever, kids mess about in school.

You asked where the discipline has gone, as if we all rolled up smartly turned out in correct uniform, without an eigth of red leb and a pack of ten B&H, no knives, no bunking off, no scrapping, no practical sex education at the bottom of the field, no shoplifting, vandalism or cheeking the teachers.
NO ONE'S DENYING THAT EITHER, IT'S THE OUTRIGHT CONTEMPT SHOWN TOO DISCIPLINE FROM SOME KIDS AND PARENTS
regards
DR

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bertrand Russell, 'History of Western Philosphy' was where I stumbled actoss that, and it made me actively avoid being a grumpy old man, because it means that everything stays the same but our perceptions are the things that change.

Not true though. Not entirely. We live longer and more healthily, and that's a change . . . . and yes of course there are some bad changes that one can invoke.

So our perceptions are supect.

But I agree with the OP that parents set the standards. Whether there has been a big change, though, is moot. My little brother went to Mile Oak when it was a comp (not sure what it's called - probably 'community college' or somesuch). He said it was impossible to learn anything because classes were repeatedly disrupted by 15 year old lads who had already got a job lined up - working for the old man (in the buiding trade etc) and neither the lads nore their parents gave a toss. Like pissing in the well knowing you are about to drive off in a van full of Perrier . . . .

Anyway, great thread for a rant!:thumbsup:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Random as f**k. I got caned regularly for lipping off, used to close my eyes and imagine it was the saucy female English teacher swishing away instead of the middle aged male sweaty jock c**t dishing it out. Got me through the hard times!

Oops! Is that a Freudian?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here