Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knockaert and Stephens

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
It would be a massive rebuild job and would probably mean mid table for a few seasons at best.

Basically it is this season or never (for this squad)
QUOTE]

Absolutely this, sadly.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think i am just being realistic, i am still surprised he signed a new contract and didn't hold out like Stephens. I can only think the reason he signed is there is an agreement that he can go to a Premier League club for an agreed fee. Obviously i could be completely wrong.

Based on his current form i'm not sure many would come knocking, and if his form improves then there's a good chance he'll already be in the PL:wink:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
At a risk of repeating myself, serious questions would have to be answered of a squad and manager that failed to go up from this position, and a clearout and reset would probably be required

Totally agree with this. We would need a mass clearout. The second eleven couldn't even beat Lincoln ffs! A new 5 year project would have to be implemented.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
A lot of this team will be off if we don't do it this year, Stockers, Bruno, Dunk, Dale, Knocky I suspect will all go. Let's hope it doesn't come to that

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, Knockaert will be off if we don't go up without a doubt.
That must be based on the fact that he doesn't want to leave, we don't want him to leave, he's under contract, and we have a history of not letting important players leave even if they want to.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
No. There would be offers, but he won't want to go. Too emotionally tied to the club (for now)

Not a hope.

Well done, you.

If we don't go up I think Knocky would go, maybe he wouldn't want to (which I doubt) but TB would want the 15/20 mill. As you say Stephens will walk in the summer if we don't go up and might even do that if we do!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If we don't make it up this season I am afraid that there will be a clearing out of the squad to balance the books, as there will doubtless be quite a few decent offers being received. We can't sustain our current losses for too much longer without falling foul of FFP (probably) so I suspect we shall have to cut our cloth accordingly. I fear a few years in the relative doldrums (Ipswish sort of level) while the squad is rebuilt and the development players come through.

But I freely admit I don't know a damn thing. Happy to trust Bloom and Hughton, who've done a magnificent job thus far.

I don't understand this logic. I don't think there's any suggestion of us having issues with financial fairplay or of any need to sell to balance the books.

We will inevitably lose players. Stephens will definitely go and with Stockdale out of contract it wouldn't surprise me if he did too. On top of that Dunk and Knockaert will probably leave, but only for very high transfer fees (minimum eight figures). The rest will probably stay. While I rate Stockdale, I've seen enough of Maenpaa to say if Stockdale goes, he could become number one if he signs a new deal. We'd need to find a new partner for Duffy (especially with Goldson health problems), make a key midfield signing and another winger (on top of any usual strengthening) but I am confident we will have the money to do that (even if we don't spend all the Knockaert/Dunk money).

My only concern would be if Hughton decided he didn't want to face rebuilding again and quit. That might make a few more players leave but, as it stands, I am confident we would not lose too many key players.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't understand this logic. I don't think there's any suggestion of us having issues with financial fairplay or of any need to sell to balance the books.

We will inevitably lose players. Stephens will definitely go and with Stockdale out of contract it wouldn't surprise me if he did too. On top of that Dunk and Knockaert will probably leave, but only for very high transfer fees (minimum eight figures). The rest will probably stay. While I rate Stockdale, I've seen enough of Maenpaa to say if Stockdale goes, he could become number one if he signs a new deal. We'd need to find a new partner for Duffy (especially with Goldson health problems), make a key midfield signing and another winger (on top of any usual strengthening) but I am confident we will have the money to do that (even if we don't spend all the Knockaert/Dunk money).

My only concern would be if Hughton decided he didn't want to face rebuilding again and quit. That might make a few more players leave but, as it stands, I am confident we would not lose too many key players.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Agree with most of that, also the positive side of me might expect that only one of Dunk or Knocky would go as like you said, we don't need to sell.

Not sure where this fear of breaking FFP has come from unless people are assuming the entirety of the 25m loss is unpermitted. The club's statement suggests we met the 13m (rolling) limit and will probably do so again this year. All depends on our chairman's resolve again, and he's known to be quite resolute and ambitious.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agree with most of that, also the positive side of me might expect that only one of Dunk or Knocky would go as like you said, we don't need to sell.

Not sure where this fear of breaking FFP has come from unless you are assuming the entirety of the 25m loss is unpermitted. The club's statement suggests we met the 13m (rolling) limit and will probably do so again this year. All depends on our chairman's resolve again, and he's known to be quite resolute and ambitious.

Not sure if you are asking me or others but the FFP thing comes from the post I quoted. I don't have any fear that we will have issues with it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Isn't all this in the realms of if your Auntie had bollox she'd be your uncle?
We are no where near promoted yet, but we are in a good position.
IF it was to happen, who knows what plans the club has in place for the future, Stephens may not even be offered a new contract, we don't know.
Knocky maybe prepared to have another season n the Championship, given his emotional attachment to the club.
The heirarchy at the club understands the position the club is in far better than anyone on the outside, including Naylor or any of the supposedly ITK posters on NSC. If I had to have a punt on it, I would bet that the club knows who they want to keep, what it will take to keep them, and if it's a good possibility that they will stay.
I would also bet, preliminary talks have already taken place and are ongoing with all those we want to retain, no matter what division we end up in next season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not sure if you are asking me or others but the FFP thing comes from the post I quoted. I don't have any fear that we will have issues with it.

Just reinforcing your point really, I don't know where this fear of breaking FFP has come from. The club seems absolutely meticulous about it and has said in a statement we are within limits.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just reinforcing your point really, I don't know where this fear of breaking FFP has come from. The club seems absolutely meticulous about it and has said in a statement we are within limits.

I thought that was probably the case. It is odd because there's never been a suggestion of it from official sources. I think, as you said, people see the £25 million figure and ignore everything else.

The only reason any players will be sold is if we get ridiculous offers for them and they want to leave. If we do that, I am confident we will reinvest that back in the squad. As I said, my only concern would be if Hughton decided he wanted to leave. Then we really would have a big rebuilding job on our hands.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not signed a new contract and we'll get better if we go up.....what's the issue as he's certainly not committing to the club?

Dale would be the best first signing we could make. Who could we get better at the price of a signing on fee?

As for Knockaert to villa, I hardly think if he did want to leave, that he would want to go or indeed we would let him go to a championship rival.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If we fail to go up then most of the team will move on. That's football. Only the supporters (and Tony) are loyal.
Next season will be PL or a season of building a team for 2018/19

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Dale would be the best first signing we could make. Who could we get better at the price of a signing on fee?

As for Knockaert to villa, I hardly think if he did want to leave, that he would want to go or indeed we would let him go to a championship rival.
We will sell to a big selling championship club as we won't have the finances to compete with clubs like villa,wolves, etc....I'm sure there's hundreds of quality midfielders around the world who would perform in the prem.Point is he didn't sign a contract and won't unless we go up.If this was a championship scenario then yes but not the premiership as don't see him being good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here