Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Mag - issue 4

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You don't allow downloads of your online version?

Not sure why [MENTION=35091]The Albion Mag[/MENTION] didn't respond to this, but I'll just say Google is your friend. Within 30 seconds of reading your post yesterday I had a PDF of the entire magazine.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Mr Snowden, think his first name was Peter? Anyway, he was mine too and he used to take pictures too. Still got a terrific one he gave to me and a mate when we bumped into him at a match where he had his tripod set up. taken from the NW terrace, of Alan Biley curling a wonderful effort into the top corner against Carlisle. We stuffed em 6-1, probably about 1985. He was right behind the shot, a better picture the Park Cameras pro couldn't have taken. Lovely sunny afternoon and he took in Black & White. Still got it somewhere. Cracking picture. Great teacher too, not just because he was aalboon nuts either!

Ha! He gave me the same picture of Alan Biley scoring too! I thought I was special. Were we in the same class? I still can't decide if this guy in the interview is him or not. Both maths teachers and both emigrated about the same time and he has a very similar name to what I remember. Seems too much of a coincidence. Yes, he was a great teacher.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ha! He gave me the same picture of Alan Biley scoring too! I thought I was special. Were we in the same class? I still can't decide if this guy in the interview is him or not. Both maths teachers and both emigrated about the same time and he has a very similar name to what I remember. Seems too much of a coincidence. Yes, he was a great teacher.

That's hilarious, both of us were teachers per then?! When did you leave? Class of...? I don't remember him leaving for Oz but no reason to doubt and yes, maybe that is him. Been easy to find out via the Oz Seagulls Facebook page I guess. If I were on FB!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
That's hilarious, both of us were teachers per then?! When did you leave? Class of...? I don't remember him leaving for Oz but no reason to doubt and yes, maybe that is him. Been easy to find out via the Oz Seagulls Facebook page I guess. If I were on FB!

I was there 82-87. I guess I probably had him in the 4th year. I am certain he said he was emigrating to Australia. If you look in the Charlton programme for that season (85/86) you can see one of his photos of Alan Biley from the Carlisle match. I had a look on the Seagulls Downunder Facebook group. He's not one of the members (but there are a couple of Sowden's; presumably relatives) so he might not be on facebook himself. The picture in the Albion mag looks a bit like I remember him, but it has been 30 years!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was there 82-87. I guess I probably had him in the 4th year. I am certain he said he was emigrating to Australia. If you look in the Charlton programme for that season (85/86) you can see one of his photos of Alan Biley from the Carlisle match. I had a look on the Seagulls Downunder Facebook group. He's not one of the members (but there are a couple of Sowden's; presumably relatives) so he might not be on facebook himself. The picture in the Albion mag looks a bit like I remember him, but it has been 30 years!
you're a bit older than I. Remember Mrs Wormlaiton? Terrible Maths Teacher! Wasn't Mrs Perry or Perryman head of Maths? Little beedy eyed woman who took no nonsense. Snowden definitely the best. Was there a Mr Power too? Think he was my 1st year Maths teacher! Mullery, he was a bully complete with Those gold rimmed shaded Peodo looking glasses. Horrible man, didn't like him at all!

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
Mullery, he was a bully complete with Those gold rimmed shaded Peodo looking glasses. Horrible man, didn't like him at all!

I had the misfortune to be in Mullery's tutor group. His wife was a support teacher and I caused some minor grief in her lesson by kicking some gobshite's chair. He called me back the next morning before going to lessons, pinned me up against the wall and read me the riot act. Thought his reaction was a little over the top to be honest. I don't think teachers would dare to do that these days.

Anyway the mag looks great - looking forward to giving that a read, nice work. Loving the stick of rock cover!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I had the misfortune to be in Mullery's tutor group. His wife was a support teacher and I caused some minor grief in her lesson by kicking some gobshite's chair. He called me back the next morning before going to lessons, pinned me up against the wall and read me the riot act. Thought his reaction was a little over the top to be honest. I don't think teachers would dare to do that these days.

Anyway the mag looks great - looking forward to giving that a read, nice work. Loving the stick of rock cover!
Not at all surprised, he was a bully as I said and a fat one at that. All stretched tank tops, dodgy moustache/beard and an air of unpleasantness. Still, if in his tutor group at least you got to play with the BBC micros! Cutting edge tech at that time, rubbish games mind! Except Elite!! :)

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
you're a bit older than I. Remember Mrs Wormlaiton? Terrible Maths Teacher! Wasn't Mrs Perry or Perryman head of Maths? Little beedy eyed woman who took no nonsense. Snowden definitely the best. Was there a Mr Power too? Think he was my 1st year Maths teacher! Mullery, he was a bully complete with Those gold rimmed shaded Peodo looking glasses. Horrible man, didn't like him at all!

Don't remember them. I suppose they could have been there after I left. Mr Trevett, my English teacher was the other one that made a lasting impression on me. Was there a Mr Munnery? I think there was a Mr Moseley too. I had Mrs Preston for statistics. Others I can remember: Mr Field (history), Mr Fielder (music), Mr Durnford (I was in his tutor group. No idea what he taught.), Mr Cains & Mr Chisholm (PE, Mr Chisholm is still there I think), Mr Stonely (history), Mr Pennington (geography), Mr Gallachan (English), Mr & Mrs Revell (social dance!! do they still have that?). Mrs Gay (Biology). And not forgetting the most terrifying man I have ever encountered, Mr Trethowan.

JakyBF

Apr 19, 2016
Heathfield
Not sure why [MENTION=35091]The Albion Mag[/MENTION] didn't respond to this, but I'll just say Google is your friend. Within 30 seconds of reading your post yesterday I had a PDF of the entire magazine.

Can you give me an idea of where to look? Unsuccessful googling so far...
You can PM me the link if you want.

The Albion Mag

Jan 23, 2017
Apologies for the delay but The Albion Mag (print) will be out this Tuesday, in time for the Ipswich game.

A list of pick-up points will be posted on NSC.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

Its got to be the same guy you're both talking about.
John not only secures a pitch in pristine condition for us out of season but takes over 300 photographs at each REMF Downunder match ; http://jasphotography.zenfolio.com/f881784013
He's a Head Teacher at arguably THE school in Australia and is a top bloke to boot !
As an aside there's about 50 of us meeting up at McMahons Point in Sydney tomorrow morning to shoot a video for the clubs 20-Year Goldstone Anniversary Night at The Theatre Royal.
There's a reasonable chance that John might be in attendance if you'd like me to pass a message on to him.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Its got to be the same guy you're both talking about.
John not only secures a pitch in pristine condition for us out of season but takes over 300 photographs at each REMF Downunder match ; http://jasphotography.zenfolio.com/f881784013
He's a Head Teacher at arguably THE school in Australia and is a top bloke to boot !
As an aside there's about 50 of us meeting up at McMahons Point in Sydney tomorrow morning to shoot a video for the clubs 20-Year Goldstone Anniversary Night at The Theatre Royal.
There's a reasonable chance that John might be in attendance if you'd like me to pass a message on to him.

Did he teach at Warden Park during the 80s? If so, does he know people still remember him as a good teacher and brilliant photographer / still have pictures he took at the Goldstone and even discussing on Social media?!! Finally, in less than 1000 words, how terrified were staff as well as pupils of Mr Trethowan, the Sith Lord of Mid-Sussex and cousin of Vader?!!! Thank you :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don't remember them. I suppose they could have been there after I left. Mr Trevett, my English teacher was the other one that made a lasting impression on me. Was there a Mr Munnery? I think there was a Mr Moseley too. I had Mrs Preston for statistics. Others I can remember: Mr Field (history), Mr Fielder (music), Mr Durnford (I was in his tutor group. No idea what he taught.), Mr Cains & Mr Chisholm (PE, Mr Chisholm is still there I think), Mr Stonely (history), Mr Pennington (geography), Mr Gallachan (English), Mr & Mrs Revell (social dance!! do they still have that?). Mrs Gay (Biology). And not forgetting the most terrifying man I have ever encountered, Mr Trethowan.

100% agreement about Trethowan. The man towered above the Empire State Building, dressed in black and snarled like a wolf. Had he been PM in the 1940s I'm convinced The Nazis would have sued for peace shortly after Dunkirk with Hitler writing a letter of apology containing a 1000 lines of "I must not invade small countries". I remember a lot of those teachers too and will add Mrs Carr, Mr Bailey, Mrs Dennis as favourites of mine along with Mr Mosely, Mr Davis, Mrs Ellis or Elliott and dear little Mrs Hutchinson. I loved Mrs Revell too, one of those you feared in years 123 but everyone loved in 4&5.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Did he teach at Warden Park during the 80s? If so, does he know people still remember him as a good teacher and brilliant photographer / still have pictures he took at the Goldstone and even discussing on Social media?!! Finally, in less than 1000 words, how terrified were staff as well as pupils of Mr Trethowan, the Sith Lord of Mid-Sussex and cousin of Vader?!!! Thank you :)

Afraid your questions will have to remain unanswered as John wasn't able to make it to this morning's video shoot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here