Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He'll be back when he's ready. Physically or mentally.

Meanwhile we are a squad of extraordinary talent that is second in the table. We will survive perfectly well until he is selected for the first team/squad.
Pretty pathetic if he's not playing because he doesn't feel mentally right !! I wish I could try that line at my job....

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't get the approbrium or conjecture. CH says it's a calf thing that's been dragging on, and I see no reason not to believe that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Albion boss Chris Hughton is wary of gambling on the fitness of Dale Stephens.

He is keen to have the influential central midfielder available again – but mindful there are still 17 games to go in the Championship campaign.

Stephens has missed the last three matches with a calf problem.

In his absence the Seagulls have been dumped out of the FA Cup at non-league Lincoln City and taken one point from away games at promotion rivals Huddersfield Town and at Brentford on Sunday.

Albion host relegation-threatened Burton Albion on Saturday and Ipswich three days later.

Hughton said: “We thought he was going to be close again (at Brentford). He hadn’t done enough training and was probably still just feeling it.

“We’re again very hopeful for Saturday. It’s certainly not something we expect to drag on.

“It’s taken a little bit longer than we thought but it’s certainly not anything serious.

“We’ve got to do the right thing. The last thing we want to do is push him and then he ends up being out for three or four weeks.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...won_t_gamble_on_midfielder_s_fitness/?ref=rss

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Hmmm... check out how we have done when Dale isn't playing, then have a rethink...

I don't need to rethink anything, thanks.

Are you saying without Stephens we will go into freefall and fail to get promoted? We are more than one player, even Hughton said our best performance came without him playing v Sheff Wed. I'm not saying he isn't a decent player either.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Albion boss Chris Hughton is wary of gambling on the fitness of Dale Stephens.

He is keen to have the influential central midfielder available again – but mindful there are still 17 games to go in the Championship campaign.

Stephens has missed the last three matches with a calf problem.

In his absence the Seagulls have been dumped out of the FA Cup at non-league Lincoln City and taken one point from away games at promotion rivals Huddersfield Town and at Brentford on Sunday.

Albion host relegation-threatened Burton Albion on Saturday and Ipswich three days later.

Hughton said: “We thought he was going to be close again (at Brentford). He hadn’t done enough training and was probably still just feeling it.

“We’re again very hopeful for Saturday. It’s certainly not something we expect to drag on.

“It’s taken a little bit longer than we thought but it’s certainly not anything serious.

“We’ve got to do the right thing. The last thing we want to do is push him and then he ends up being out for three or four weeks.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...won_t_gamble_on_midfielder_s_fitness/?ref=rss

Nah, real reason is his head's not right and he can't be bothered:facepalm::shootself

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Are you saying without Stephens we will go into freefall and fail to get promoted? We are more than one player, even Hughton said our best performance came without him playing v Sheff Wed. I'm not saying he isn't a decent player either.

It's all very well saying the team isn't one player, but if you extract any one of Dunk,Duffy,Stephens,Stockdale,Baldock or Knockaert out the team then it will detrimentally affect our points tally over any given period. We've been without more than one of those over the last couple of weeks and it is telling. Considering the fine margins we lost out to last season, it's understandable people are getting restless at Dale's absence.

Also the stats of points gained without him are pretty embarrassing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It does all seems a bit drawn out and strange for what was a minor calf injury but as Stephens is contracted until the end of the season and will not be playing for anyone else before then, it would seem strange in the extreme if he has decided he doesn't want to play for us in these games that must be amongst the highlight of his career so far.. Possible but unlikely don't you think?

I personally have a gut feeling that he wants out though and will not be a Brighton player regardless of which division we are in next season.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's all very well saying the team isn't one player, but if you extract any one of Dunk,Duffy,Stephens,Stockdale,Baldock or Knockaert out the team then it will detrimentally affect our points tally over any given period. We've been without more than one of those over the last couple of weeks and it is telling. Considering the fine margins we lost out to last season, it's understandable people are getting restless at Dale's absence.

Also the stats of points gained without him are pretty embarrassing.

I don't think any team goes through a season with the same first eleven, so any player missing that is half decent will be missed to a certain extent. But what you and others are saying (stats back you up) is that promotion is unlikely unless Stephens plays in the majority of the remaining games, because quite frankly we are unable to gain points without him in the side. That's pretty damning on the rest of the squad.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011

Every league game Stephens hasn't started this season , we've lost .
The man makes us tick .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here