Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Washing machine stopped spinning

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
No need to empty or drain it - it seemed to go through the cycle fine.

The drum turns easily when pushed by hand although Mrs Bozza thinks it's not much different to normal.

I have used a guy called Trevor in the past - Try Range appliances 01903 203053 was always very good but havn't had the need to call within the past three years.

Our washing machine packed up a while back, as they do, and we decided to buy a new one, rather than pay for an expensive repair.

The curious thing is that the new one was delivered to Bracknell Towers by none other than Dean Adams, who used to be the producer of BBC Sussex's Albion commentaries. I guess he was between jobs at the time because, according to his LinkedIn profile, he now pops up as a reporter for Sky Sports and BBC Final Score.

Stopped. Just like that.

Is it likely to be the belt or similar and, if so, is it a relatively cheap and easy fix or throw it away and get another one?

If the former, can anyone recommend anyone who services the Worthing area for such things.

That's Brexit for you.

Having owned 2 Bosch washing machines in the last 18 years, it might be to do with some the 'rollers' (non-technical term and may not be the right name) which make contact with the drum. Our first one stopped spinning after 14 years use and the answer was that these rollers had worn down over the years and no longer made the friction contact to spin the drum.

It was relatively easy for an engineer to get the replacements and fit them at about £80 all-in. However we only got about 2 more years use before something else went wrong and we got a new one. I would say if the machine is less than 5 years then have it repaired, but if more than 10 years then it's probably better to get a new one.

If it's between 5 and 10 years, toss a coin and go with the result.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm surprised that no-one's proffered the guaranteed fix yet - have you tried turning it off and back on again?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My Bosch needs a reboot every few months - power off, power it back on with the dial on off. Dishwasher does the same but a bit less often.

If you can drain/empty if you should be able to tell if the belt is gone from the resistance on the drum if turned by hand.

If it's a fairly modern one it may have a computer brain freeze. We have cheap Beko which does this, we have to unplug it for 10 mins and then plug in again and run on the longest hottest programme empty and it fixes itself. Worth a try no? Or have a word with the maker to see if they have a fix? Beko advised us to do this to ours.

I'm surprised that no-one's proffered the guaranteed fix yet - have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Oh i don't know,these might qualify?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
No need to empty or drain it - it seemed to go through the cycle fine.

The drum turns easily when pushed by hand although Mrs Bozza thinks it's not much different to normal.

Without looking, I would suggest that it's the carbon brushes.
There are 3 types on a Bosch, one pair comes with springs and a tag on, bit fiddly but doable to a non experienced person.
One pair just screws on to the face of the motor either side of the armature and is piss easy to fit.
The other pair you might find comes as an end cap assembly and can be a bit of a pig.

Easy way to find out is tip the machine back, if you see a white plastic housing type thing on the back of the motor, you've got the pig.
If you can remove the motor, see if you can get the brushes out and pm me a photo. I'll let you know if I've got some (deffo got the spring type)
I can give you a pair after the Burton game in WSL :smile:

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Alternatively, let me know the ENr number and FD code and I'll look it up

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Check the drain filter as it could be blocked unless the water cannot get out of the drum the pressure switch will not allow the motor to go into spin as it would destroy the machine switch the machine off, you should have a little door front bottom right open it filter inside you will need to put some towels on the floor and a low level tray as potentially a fair amount of water to come out

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Check the drain filter as it could be blocked unless the water cannot get out of the drum the pressure switch will not allow the motor to go into spin as it would destroy the machine switch the machine off, you should have a little door front bottom right open it filter inside you will need to put some towels on the floor and a low level tray as potentially a fair amount of water to come out

Agree with this100% especially Bosch, as mine used to do it all the time. Had it over 15 years before it finely died.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
we had the same issue. The machine would drain the water but not spin. As Blue3 advised cleared the drain filter and a fair bit of water does come out. Found a rather dirty looking 20p piece. Machine however still didn't work. It was cheaper to buy a new one, ordered it from AO and they took the old one away

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Being German your machine has probably stopped in protest at the way Monk barged Wagner out of the way as he returned from his victory celebration. If this is the case time will heal. Turn it off and try again tomorrow. You have not been charged for this problem assessment and advice.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Without looking, I would suggest that it's the carbon brushes.
There are 3 types on a Bosch, one pair comes with springs and a tag on, bit fiddly but doable to a non experienced person.
One pair just screws on to the face of the motor either side of the armature and is piss easy to fit.
The other pair you might find comes as an end cap assembly and can be a bit of a pig.

Easy way to find out is tip the machine back, if you see a white plastic housing type thing on the back of the motor, you've got the pig.
If you can remove the motor, see if you can get the brushes out and pm me a photo. I'll let you know if I've got some (deffo got the spring type)
I can give you a pair after the Burton game in WSL :smile:

how you going to smuggle those through the turnstiles...(imagines big brushes..shoved down trouser leg..)

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Stopped. Just like that.

Is it likely to be the belt or similar and, if so, is it a relatively cheap and easy fix or throw it away and get another one?

If the former, can anyone recommend anyone who services the Worthing area for such things.

Id tell her to stop messing about and get on with it... also to bring me a beer and pass the remote...

well in my dreams I would...

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Could be the carbons on the motor, not many washers have got capacitor motors these days
That'd make it a DC motor if there's carbon brushes.
Which could then mean a faulty bridge rectifier as I'd think they're unlikely to have a transformer.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
That'd make it a DC motor if there's carbon brushes.
Which could then mean a faulty bridge rectifier as I'd think they're unlikely to have a transformer.
All machines have carbons mate, apart from the old Servis that used to run on a 20 micro farad cap.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
All machines have carbons mate, apart from the old Servis that used to run on a 20 micro farad cap.
Ok, it's not my field so just throwing a few guesses out there. You seem to know what's what here.
Hope the fix won't be too expensive

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
If you do need to replace the machine I can recommend these guys

www.hillsradio.co.uk/

The website looks a bit crap, but we recently bought a Bosch washing machine from them. With delivery and also disposal of our old machine it was £100 less than the next cheapest site and it was delivered within two days of the order.

I should add that when I didn't get a delivery time slot emailed to me, I phoned them and they just arranged it there and then over the phone.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I have a Bosch and it wont spin if the loads too heavy - e.g. too many towels. There's some sort of cut-out in the program to protect the motor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here