Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time To Show Who's Boss

el punal

Two big home fixtures coming up against maybe not the toughest opposition in the league at the moment (insert any team can beat any team on the day, this is the Championship, no chicken counting, etc., etc.). This should be the opportunity for the Albion to really show their credentials as a top of the table attacking, ruthless outfit.

Over the last few weeks we have shown some wonderful, but different, qualities. Our dogged determination to never be beaten despite being under the cosh for considerable periods of play - for example, Fulham, both home and away, Birmingham (away), and of course at Brentford yesterday.

Another quality on show was the incredible team spirit and backs to wall effort against Sheffield Wednesday.

Then, the ceaseless, one way attrition in defeating Cardiff.

So, yes, we have shown the different components necessary in not being beaten, or grabbing a victory against the odds. We have shown courage and fortitude in abundance, - rival teams' fans looking on with envy.

But what we have not shown in recent weeks (QPR excepted) is the ability to not only dominate but put the opposition to the sword. It's about time we start to do this again, this Saturday would be good. :albion2:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We've shown different components about how to hold onto a win or draw, or how to grab our way back from imminent defeat. But our form hasn't been great, we haven't shown anything near good quality for a while now. I think that is why many of us are literally taking beta blockers to see us through the season!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We've shown different components about how to hold onto a win or draw, or how to grab our way back from imminent defeat. But our form hasn't been great, we haven't shown anything near good quality for a while now. I think that is why many of us are literally taking beta blockers to see us through the season!

One big result might be all we need to get up a head of steam.

It would be bloody nice to look at the team sheet an hour before kick off and pull a big f**k off smile. Can''t recall the last time that happened

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Beating Burton and Ipswich at home (if we were to do so) won't show anyone 'who is boss'. Everyone else in the mix will be expecting us to win those matches, just as we expect our rivals to win their games v QPR and Cardiff.

The following two home matches, however.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Both teams will set up 6 or 7 at the back and try to frustrate us so we need to start quickly and get an early goal to stop them

Indeed. Crucial.

Early goal = QPR-style cruise.
No early goal = Cardiff-style war of attrition

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Both teams will set up 6 or 7 at the back and try to frustrate us so we need to start quickly and get an early goal to stop them

Agree so we need players who can beat the opposition and who have good tight control of the ball... that probably means Murphy instead of Skalak IF he holds the ball and runs at them...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree. We have been very sluggish of late (actually (probably all the way back to October), I just wish we could really go for it from the start for once.

I didn't want to say when we last had a good game for fear of retribution, but it does seem Norwich was the last one. I will get shouted down now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We've got the benefit of not having a week off and therefore not getting ring-rusty, so we'll we'll be well up for it.

In the wider scheme of things, the club REALLY need to analyse why as soon as the first team get a week off, they always turn to complete SHIT on their first game back.

Just won't do :nono:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I understand the comment, and I know we haven't ripped anyone apart, and I know you're nervous. But our last run of games has been very tough, and although we haven't been great in some of them we have also been very competitive in most. Our recent run, as well as Cardiff and QPR at home, has included Fulham twice, Birmingham (A) (when they were still 6th or 7th), Preston, Brentford, Hudds, all away and Leeds and Wednesday at home. Thats a tough ten-game run and to get 7 wins and a draw has required us to dig deep and fight for points, and do this despite a load of penalties conceded and a couple of sendings off and quite a lot of injuries and bans. And we're never that good in the winter.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I didn't want to say when we last had a good game for fear of retribution, but it does seem Norwich was the last one. I will get shouted down now.

:)

Sheffield Wednesday.

Norwich was the last time we ripped a team a new one, but come on, those don't happen very often, you can't believe that the definition of a good game is destroying the opposition 5-0 and everything else is less than good

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Sheffield Wednesday.

Norwich was the last time we ripped a team a new one, but come on, those don't happen very often, you can't believe that the definition of a good game is destroying the opposition 5-0 and everything else is less than good

QPR was also very professional and straightforward as well.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I understand the comment, and I know we haven't ripped anyone apart, and I know you're nervous. But our last run of games has been very tough, and although we haven't been great in some of them we have also been very competitive in most. Our recent run, as well as Cardiff and QPR at home, has included Fulham twice, Birmingham (A) (when they were still 6th or 7th), Preston, Brentford, Hudds, all away and Leeds and Wednesday at home. Thats a tough ten-game run and to get 7 wins and a draw has required us to dig deep and fight for points, and do this despite a load of penalties conceded and a couple of sendings off and quite a lot of injuries and bans. And we're never that good in the winter.

I think I am now at the point of ultra cautious about our run in. I tend to think a lot about last season and those 2016 months where we literally destroyed everyone after Cardiff and whether we can repeat that. I'm hedging my bets within my head so as not to be disappointed if it doesn't come off, although I know I would be more than disappointed, it'd be like losing your best loved pet. Can't win really.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Sheffield Wednesday.

Yeah I know, I'm being subjective, I need to think about something calming, the sound of a river whilst laying in a field in sunshine and blue sky. Calmmmmmmmmm

theboybilly

I see no reason for being shouted down. Many on here have identified matches where Albion have not played particularly well for an hour then got the result. We all know which ones. But there are other games where we've just been a bit lacklustre or out of sorts. Individual players have had too many off days, for example Knocky was only on his game for the last half-hour or so of this week's away fixtures and has been a bit hit-and-miss in others. Admittedly some teams seem to put two defenders on him at times and he can be targeted in other ways. For all that though Albion are a joy to watch at times - the spirit in the side yesterday was wonderful to see both in the anger of conceding and the effort to retrieve a seemingly lost cause

The strength of the team is not the midfield at the moment, hence why we look ragged even against the midtable midfield of Brentford.

But jeez Knocky is the best attacking force in the division and 3 goals created out of nothing at Griffin Park.

Teams that come to Amex to sit back and defend play to our strengths rather than exposing our weaknesses. Thankfully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here