Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crafty, unsporting Brentford

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yes he said: "Unfortunately the referee has found seven minutes from somewhere and they have scored in the seventh.” I honestly don't know how he has the nerve to say that - how it was only 7 mins I will never know even without my Albion hat on.

When GM went down early in the first half, I believe our guy came straight on to assist him, obviously wasn't down as long as the Brentford hit and run in the second half.
My point is that the first half finished mainly on time, given it didn't seem that time been added for GM incident?
I may be wrong:wrong:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
At around 15 mins into the first half, Brentford had a free kick on the edge of the penalty area. Stockers was trying to line up the wall but 3 of the biggest BFC players kept deliberately standing in his way... so that he couldn't see and adjust his line. Morally it's shitty but is there a rule of bad sportsmanship which could come into force from the ref?

Win at all costs.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yep, warned and ushered to the byline but continued on his amble towards touch. Referees just bottle so many decisions for blatant disregard to warnings.

In terms of time wasting, an early yellow card to the perpetrator usually works wonders.

Pretty certain instead of getting in a flap about it he just added an extra minute, from which we scored so nay bother.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm surprised that FIFA haven't brought a law in to stop the watch when the ref blows his whistle, then re-start when the whistle is re-blown. The 4th official could be responsible for that.

One of the changes being considered by FIFA is for the referee to no longer be the timekeeper, and the final ten minutes of the game to be 'full' in the sense that every time the ball goes out of play the timer is stopped.

It will reduce some time wasting, but suspect players will just make more effort to take the ball to the corner flag and keep it there.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
One of the changes being considered by FIFA is for the referee to no longer be the timekeeper, and the final ten minutes of the game to be 'full' in the sense that every time the ball goes out of play the timer is stopped.

It will reduce some time wasting, but suspect players will just make more effort to take the ball to the corner flag and keep it there.

Why just the last ten minutes though?

35 minutes each way, timed so when the ball goes dead/out of play the clock stops.

I reckon we get an hours football at the moment.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It hasn't been, it is specifically in the laws that any player is allowed to contest it.
"Any number of players may contest a dropped ball (including the goalkeepers); the referee cannot decide who may contest a dropped ball or its outcome."

Well he definitely did.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Not true, in yesteryear the goalkeeper never contested it as he couldnt use his hands so invariably a player kicked it back to him for him to pick it up. I am sure some oldies will remember this,
And there's your answer - you now can't kick the ball back to the keeper for him to pick up so the ball either gets dropped for an opponent to kick back to the keeper or, increasingly, it is just dropped straight to the keeper which has always been allowed but wasn't necessary before the "back pass" law came in.

We had ball balls slowing up or speeding returns at withdean,wiping ball and throwing to our keepers hand whilst kicking the ball along wet grass to opposing teams,can recall Kasper Schmeichel cursing the ball ball during our cup win over Man City! And we all recall head ball man at the Goldstone? We all cheat:moo:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We had ball balls slowing up or speeding returns at withdean,wiping ball and throwing to our keepers hand whilst kicking the ball along wet grass to opposing teams,can recall Kasper Schmeichel cursing the ball ball during our cup win over Man City! And we all recall head ball man at the Goldstone? We all cheat:moo:

Keith Cuss

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting from reading this legislation that (since 2012), you cannot score direct from a drop ball, thus avoiding the situation- I seem to recall it happened in a Doncaster Rovers game- where a team attempts to knock it back to their opponents' keeper, but it goes over his head and straight into the goal.

Now a goal kick. Presumably in facing that scenario, it'd be better for a keeper to leave it rather than risk trying to stop it and getting an unsuccessful touch on the ball, thus making it a legitimate goal.

Also interests me that a referee seemingly cannot dictate whether a drop ball is contested or not (would seem to be something of a gentlemen's agreement between players now, as it were). I guess if a referee was hoping to drop the ball straight to a goalkeeper, as frequently happens, and an opponent decided to contest it, that might be entertaining. Or at least cause a Monk-Wagner style fight afterwards.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Interesting from reading this legislation that (since 2012), you cannot score direct from a drop ball, thus avoiding the situation- I seem to recall it happened in a Doncaster Rovers game- where a team attempts to knock it back to their opponents' keeper, but it goes over his head and straight into the goal.

Now a goal kick. Presumably in facing that scenario, it'd be better for a keeper to leave it rather than risk trying to stop it and getting an unsuccessful touch on the ball, thus making it a legitimate goal.

Also interests me that a referee seemingly cannot dictate whether a drop ball is contested or not (would seem to be something of a gentlemen's agreement between players now, as it were). I guess if a referee was hoping to drop the ball straight to a goalkeeper, as frequently happens, and an opponent decided to contest it, that might be entertaining. Or at least cause a Monk-Wagner style fight afterwards.

Knocky was clearly thinking about it, if you watch around that time on the full match you can see him turn around and shout 'it's bullshit' after discussing the dropball with referee/Bentley.

I wouldn't have complained if 4 of our players had charged down Bentley and scored to be honest, exactly what they deserved.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Something along those lines happened last season at Bury (?), when Walton was in their goal

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The ref was just as bad, if not worse. Particularly that drop ball that he wouldn't let us contest

(presumably someone will now tell me that he followed the laws of the game.

And what about Brentford's sudden bout of head injuries in the box each time we looked like scoring?

No, the complete opposite the dictate is that the referee cannot decide who contests a drop ball - teams may decide to take the honourable option, like playing the ball back to the keeper but the referee cannot decide who actually contests the drop ball or the outcome of it...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What I found hard to believe (and quite funny) was Dean Smith saying he couldn't understand where the seven minutes of injury time had come from. If he'd said he couldn't understand why it was ONLY seven minutes ...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What I found hard to believe (and quite funny) was Dean Smith saying he couldn't understand where the seven minutes of injury time had come from. If he'd said he couldn't understand why it was ONLY seven minutes ...

They're not very impartial managers on the whole, we have one who is in a minority.

He was probably carrying on his contrived arguments in the 4th official's ear, forgetting the game was actually over.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Brentford's behaviour at the end was an absolute disgrace. I've always thought drop ball is not fair when a player is about to cross and it ends up back with the goalkeeper. It is a rule that could always be taken advantage of but rarely can it have been done so cynically as their defender who jumped up as soon as play stopped.

I read a report from a Brentford fan, which must be one of the most biased reports I've ever known. Basically, Sidwell scythed down their player for the free kick before the second goal (clearly wasn't a foul), Murray spent the game going down easily (arguably true but no mention of their actions going down easily at the end), the free kick that started the move for our second goal should never have been given (it was a definite free kick from memory), their player who got involved in an altercation with Sidwell did nothing wrong (well actually he did and was rightly booked) and the referee overall was very poor and completely biased towards us (complete rubbish).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here