Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crafty, unsporting Brentford

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If it's all about safety first, then IMHO if you go down clutching your head, you should then leave the field of play for at least 5 mins to make sure that you've recovered.

100% this (101% even).
Any head injury should mean the player goes to the dressing room to be assessed by a doctor. The team can always substitute him if they feel they'll be at a disadvantage.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Should note that I didn't see anybody else touch that free kick which went over, didn't look like a corner to me.

I questioned that one too. I only watched the beam back, but it was projected onto the wall in the lounge, so it wasn't a small screen we were peering at.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That really really pissed me off nothing short of cheating when he did that, the result was a free clearance back to Stockdale.

If ever there was a time for the good old fashioned "drop ball" it was then as at least we would stand a chance of getting possession in their half. Much worse than diving IMO and should result in a booking.

Agreed. It wasn't just a free clearence though, it got them 30-40 yards further up the pitch and we had to start again. So from just about to swing in a cross which we looked deadly from, we went straight back to a goal kick effectively.

It's disgraceful to be honest, taking something as serious as a head injury and feigning it. It's bad enough standard injuries are feigned, but all these head injury scares mean play has to be interrupted immediately and serves as another contrived way of killing momentum.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
when they jump up and run away after 30 seconds like a young springbok they should be booked for feigning injury (CHEATING)

Exactly like that Cardiff player who was so badly injured he could bearly hobble off in the trainers arms then 25 seconds later was back on the pitch sprinting to the touchline to put in a cross.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That really really pissed me off nothing short of cheating when he did that, the result was a free clearance back to Stockdale.

If ever there was a time for the good old fashioned "drop ball" it was then as at least we would stand a chance of getting possession in their half. Much worse than diving IMO and should result in a booking.

Agreed that was a disgrace.

So we now know, if the opposition is through on goal simply get someone to go down holding their head. Then you can just get a drop kick and kick it back to their keeper. Sorted.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Like we did with the ball boys against Sheffield Wednesday, can't moan about unsporting behaviour when we celebrate when we do similar to teams

Don't EWE just HATE people who CHANGE there minds ALL the THYME?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
He shouldve booked the guy with the head injury for not going straight off the pitch behind the goal.

I felt quite sorry for him actually.

I blame that weirdo, who wasn't the physio. Ambled on with his hands in his pockets. Did nothing. Led the player off the pitch, and when ref told them to get off the side, just stared the ref down and walked even slower

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Like we did with the ball boys against Sheffield Wednesday, can't moan about unsporting behaviour when we celebrate when we do similar to teams

That's a bit different, its not as if the ball boy threw the ball into the crowd, it just took up an extra 5 seconds which the ref would have probably added on anyway, its feigning injury to stop a goal scoring opportunity that is the issue here.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Should note that I didn't see anybody else touch that free kick which went over, didn't look like a corner to me.

i thought this also, however Stockdale went and patted Murray or someone (in the wall) on the back afterwards. So not sure.

More for me I couldn't understand why the free kick was given, where was the foul?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That's a bit different, its not as if the ball boy threw the ball into the crowd, it just took up an extra 5 seconds which the ref would have probably added on anyway, its feigning injury to stop a goal scoring opportunity that is the issue here.

Agreed. Time wasting is a separate issue to feigning a head injury to interrupt the flow of the game while the ball is still in play. In this case, a couple of seconds before Knockaert is about to wrap his foot round the ball which resulted in 2 goals for us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can somebody tell me when the rule was chnaged to allow a keeper to pick the vball up from a drop ball. It always was that it had to be played before he could pick it up, when did this change as most refs now just drop the ball in front of the keeper and they pick it up and drop kick it. To my mind that should be handball and as in the area a penalty.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Surely fairest way to restart after a head injury would be to give a throw in to team with possession in line with where the ball was on the pitch at time of stoppage? That way they still retain possession and territory. Player gets treatment, team can reset.

Imagine this will provide an advantage to teams with a Delap/Halford long throw tactic.

For us we'd have inevitably passed back to halfway line and gained no advantage if this had been the case on Saturday.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I felt quite sorry for him actually.

I blame that weirdo, who wasn't the physio. Ambled on with his hands in his pockets. Did nothing. Led the player off the pitch, and when ref told them to get off the side, just stared the ref down and walked even slower

That second bloke, the 'weirdo', was sent on specifically to tell the injured player to stay down.
The sub was nowhere near ready, not even had any kit on.
They kept looking over to the bench at the sub messing about, and the injured guy only got up, eventually, when the sub was finally ready to come on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i thought this also, however Stockdale went and patted Murray or someone (in the wall) on the back afterwards. So not sure.

More for me I couldn't understand why the free kick was given, where was the foul?

Yes, the free kick was a dubious decision too. It looked like the player had tripped over the ball.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can somebody tell me when the rule was chnaged to allow a keeper to pick the vball up from a drop ball. It always was that it had to be played before he could pick it up, when did this change as most refs now just drop the ball in front of the keeper and they pick it up and drop kick it. To my mind that should be handball and as in the area a penalty.

And also when the rule changed so that we weren't allowed to contest it!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Dropping like ninepins in the penalty area whilst we're waiting to take kicks in extra time is also unsporting. Granted, the first one went straight down the tunnel after being substituted, but I reckon the second 'head injury' was entirely fake. Just time wasting. If the second one had a head injury, he should have gone off the pitch before being allowed back on.

I mentioned that on Twitter. Cue a swarm of angry Bees telling me Murray was just as bad.

Part of the game these days.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
When it comes to possible head injuries, I don't think we can expect any referee to be lenient. it is always safety first no matter how contrived it may appear.

Agree but there should be a tightening of the rules around how they're handled. If a player goes down with a head injury, he should be treated in the first instance on the pitch then at the side of the pitch, via the shortest route possible, and then waved back in by the ref.

Pretty sure that's how it is now but that bit in bold is often ignored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here