Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crafty, unsporting Brentford

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
At around 15 mins into the first half, Brentford had a free kick on the edge of the penalty area. Stockers was trying to line up the wall but 3 of the biggest BFC players kept deliberately standing in his way... so that he couldn't see and adjust his line. Morally it's shitty but is there a rule of bad sportsmanship which could come into force from the ref?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The ref was just as bad, if not worse. Particularly that drop ball that he wouldn't let us contest

(presumably someone will now tell me that he followed the laws of the game.

And what about Brentford's sudden bout of head injuries in the box each time we looked like scoring?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Dropping like ninepins in the penalty area whilst we're waiting to take kicks in extra time is also unsporting. Granted, the first one went straight down the tunnel after being substituted, but I reckon the second 'head injury' was entirely fake. Just time wasting. If the second one had a head injury, he should have gone off the pitch before being allowed back on.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The ref was just as bad, if not worse. Particularly that drop ball that he wouldn't let us contest

(presumably someone will now tell me that he followed the laws of the game.

And what about Brentford's sudden bout of head injuries in the box each time we looked like scoring?

I actually thought Mr. Simpson was quite good. At least he wasn't afraid to add on seven extra minutes at the end, due to Brentford's constant time wasting, and when it comes to supposed head injuries, the ref is honour bound to stop the game really, just in case one actually does prove to be serious.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dropping like ninepins in the penalty area whilst we're waiting to take kicks in extra time is also unsporting. Granted, the first one went straight down the tunnel after being substituted, but I reckon the second 'head injury' was entirely fake. Just time wasting. If the second one had a head injury, he should have gone off the pitch before being allowed back on.
This. First time I've seen it done so blatantly but sadly it won't be the last.

Potentially a nice weapon in the armoury of the modern day footballing cheat - stops play and ensures more time is wasted returning ball to far end and getting 11 behind it again.

(I suppose it isn't THAT easy to engineer just at the right moment in a believable way, but could easily get to the stage where the team ahead fairly routinely pulls off this trick in the last 20 minutes or so...)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Knocky just about to put in another cross as one fell to the ground with a 'head injury'.

We'll have to remember that one if hanging onto a lead, though i'd expect whichever ref not to be as lenient with us.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

All the more pleasing that we scored in the 97th minute then!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Knocky just about to put in another cross as one fell to the ground with a 'head injury'.

We'll have to remember that one if hanging onto a lead, though i'd expect whichever ref not to be as lenient with us.

When it comes to possible head injuries, I don't think we can expect any referee to be lenient. it is always safety first no matter how contrived it may appear.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
All the more pleasing that we scored in the 97th minute then!

Thing is, we were mauling them and looking like fully turning it on it's head at 2-2. These quite blatant attempts at stoppping play absolutely killed our momentum and it wasn't long before they were up the other end scoring what we all perceived to be the winning goal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I actually thought Mr. Simpson was quite good. At least he wasn't afraid to add on seven extra minutes at the end, due to Brentford's constant time wasting, and when it comes to supposed head injuries, the ref is honour bound to stop the game really, just in case one actually does prove to be serious.

He shouldve booked the guy with the head injury for not going straight off the pitch behind the goal.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm surprised that FIFA haven't brought a law in to stop the watch when the ref blows his whistle, then re-start when the whistle is re-blown. The 4th official could be responsible for that.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He shouldve booked the guy with the head injury for not going straight off the pitch behind the goal.

Yep, warned and ushered to the byline but continued on his amble towards touch. Referees just bottle so many decisions for blatant disregard to warnings.

In terms of time wasting, an early yellow card to the perpetrator usually works wonders.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm surprised that FIFA haven't brought a law in to stop the watch when the ref blows his whistle, then re-start when the whistle is re-blown. The 4th official could be responsible for that.

You would have to reduce the time down to about 30 minutes a half if you did that... or we would be there all night!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

That really really pissed me off nothing short of cheating when he did that, the result was a free clearance back to Stockdale.

If ever there was a time for the good old fashioned "drop ball" it was then as at least we would stand a chance of getting possession in their half. Much worse than diving IMO and should result in a booking.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here