Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldson out for season!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good luck Connor... get well soon after your op, and look forward to seeing you back in the stripes next season...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any decent CB's out there without a club?
I think you've answered your own question.

In fairness this being the Albion there's probably a litter bin currently being trained up to be a future England centre back.
All the while Messi could easily be made to look like Mike Trusson, on a bad day.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Good that most of us recognise sport takes second place to health.

None of us yet know the full extent of the "injury" and so we can only talk in general terms.

My main hope is that he doesn't have anything like what Fabrice Muamaba and James Taylor have - both were elite sportsman and supremely fit and well. With JT, his heart surgeon said he was very fortunate, for most people, this problem is only discovered during the post mortem - unfortunately it ended both of their professional sports careers. Fingers crossed Connor's issue is nothing as serious.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Very classy that the Official Newcastle twitter account wished him well in his recovery.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Just seen this. Wow really pleased the club spotted this before it caused a serious problem. Good luck Connor and get better soon. He was great for us last season and will be good to see him playing in the stripes again when he is fit and well.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Amazing what the medical profession can do now. Hats off to them.

Also I know its not good for the team, but how would it have affected the team and us had it not been spotted and something 'serious' happened with 5 games to go to the end of the seaon.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think that was the speculation to avoid.

I meant in a playing sense,to the field of play...i think it may have read wrong....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Brighton defender Connor Goldson determined to return to football after heart surgery

Brighton defender Connor Goldson is determined to return to football despite being ruled out for the rest of the season after a heart risk was discovered during routine cardiac screening.

Goldson requires preventative surgery but had his condition picked up amid the more comprehensive testing at English football clubs following Fabrice Muamba’s collapse for Bolton against Tottenham in March 2012. Muamba was forced to retire but Goldson, who is 24, retains his on-field ambition.

"Football has always been my life but this has put my life into perspective," he said. "I know I'm strong enough to recover and determined to be back on a football pitch where I'm happiest."

Goldson also thanked his team-mates, the staff at Brighton, his girlfriend and his family for their support during the "toughest few days" of his life. "Your support had kept me positive," he wrote on Twitter. "I am so grateful to be at the club I am at."

The Brighton goalkeeper David Stockdale summed up how the Brighton squad, who are currently in one of the two automatic promotion places in the Championship, had reacted to the news.

"It's hard because Connor is a valuable member of the squad on and off the pitch," said Stockdale.

"It was amazing how he came out of it positively. I'd quit football for him if it meant him staying alive."

Brighton have said that they found a “possible risk factor” but are also optimistic about the chances of Goldson making a comeback.

“We wish him well with his recovery and look forward to him returning for us next season,” said manager Chris Hughton. Several footballers have died suddenly because of heart issues, including Cameroon international Marc-Vivien Foe, Sevilla defender Antonio Puerta and Espanyol captain Daniel Jarque. The likelihood of Goldson returning will be determined by the precise nature of his condition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...nnor-goldson-determined-return-heart-surgery/

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
That's superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here