Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton's biggest test since being at the Albion?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
2 games the players have let themselves the manager and supporters down... Lincoln and Huddersfield compared to determination and grit against Wednesday a player down so the players know they have to put things right and they will

I wasn't too fussed about Lincoln as I was convinced all the energy was being focused the game against Huddersfield... To be fair Huddersfield were on fire from the off and looked more like a top premier team! By far the best team over 90 mins I have seen us play in a good few years whilst both teams being in the same division. I'll be surprised if they are not promoted and if it isn't this season it will be next if they keep their squad and manager together.

How we respond at Brentford is going to be the real indicator I think.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stolen from one of the facebook pages but sums it up maybe.....

931841b72956a60de4e5726cba6113b4.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the cracks are starting to show and we might be about to be found out.
I'm guessing you know less about football than killing foxes.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I think this is the wrong way to put it. Hughton HAS proven himself as a manager. He turned the team round and avoided relegation. Last year his team made a fantastic start and then recovered well from a bad December-January run caused by injuries to key players. We recovered when they came back and/or January signings had an impact.

The key issue right now is something that at this moment Hughton can't do much about. Does the squad have the fitness and strength in depth? Last year we lost key players and went on a losing run. This year it doesn't yet look so bad, but the cracks have been showing as soon as we lose certain players - or they lose form. Personally I feared the worst at both Preston and Huddersfield. If the team is similarly depleted I will fear the worst at Brentford.

Our fate will depend on the likes of Bruno, Stephens, Kayal, Rosenior, Bong and others all getting and staying fit quickly. Overall I think we have the resources to get out of this league now. A couple of untimely injuries (or even suspensions) might tip the balance. (Imagine if it had been Stockdale rather than Maenpaa who got injured). We can't put this all on Hughton. The best recent decision he has made was to recall Walton) He's working well with what he's been given. To be fair the club also seem to have spent what they can within their means. I just hope it's enough!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think this is the wrong way to put it. Hughton HAS proven himself as a manager. He turned the team round and avoided relegation. Last year his team made a fantastic start and then recovered well from a bad December-January run caused by injuries to key players. We recovered when they came back and/or January signings had an impact.

The key issue right now is something that at this moment Hughton can't do much about. Does the squad have the fitness and strength in depth? Last year we lost key players and went on a losing run. This year it doesn't yet look so bad, but the cracks have been showing as soon as we lose certain players - or they lose form. Personally I feared the worst at both Preston and Huddersfield. If the team is similarly depleted I will fear the worst at Brentford.

Our fate will depend on the likes of Bruno, Stephens, Kayal, Rosenior, Bong and others all getting and staying fit quickly. Overall I think we have the resources to get out of this league now. A couple of untimely injuries (or even suspensions) might tip the balance. (Imagine if it had been Stockdale rather than Maenpaa who got injured). We can't put this all on Hughton. The best recent decision he has made was to recall Walton) He's working well with what he's been given. To be fair the club also seem to have spent what they can within their means. I just hope it's enough!

Just about sums it up, we can't afford squad rotation so rely on players staying fit all season which is always risky.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He had a test last season when we lost 5 games in a row, not scoring one goal.

I hadn't forgotten our blip, but I'd forgotten it was that bad!

I wasn't too fussed about Lincoln as I was convinced all the energy was being focused the game against Huddersfield... To be fair Huddersfield were on fire from the off and looked more like a top premier team! By far the best team over 90 mins I have seen us play in a good few years whilst both teams being in the same division. I'll be surprised if they are not promoted and if it isn't this season it will be next if they keep their squad and manager together.

How we respond at Brentford is going to be the real indicator I think.

agree totally although I was disappointed with Lincoln as the players should of been good enough to win the game and momentum kept going.. however Brentford is important now and hopefully a win tomorrow and all will be forgotten

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He had a test last season when we lost 5 games in a row, not scoring one goal.

Was gonna let this one slide, as I know we already have a site pedant, but as others are now saying "oh yeh, forgot that" - I feel I should correct the error.

We did indeed go 5 games on the bounce without scoring, but one of those games was actually a 0-0 draw - strangely enough at Brentford. So in fact we only lost 3 in a row, after the draw with Brentford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here