Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson in Walsall talks

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Merson in Walsall talks

Merson is on his way out at Pompey
Portsmouth forward Paul Merson is in negotiations with Walsall about a transfer to the Division One club.
Merson is unhappy that Pompey have signed new players on high wages since securing promotion to the Premiership but not offered him an improved deal.

"I'm disappointed," Merson told the Express & Star newspaper.

"I came here last season and took a massive wage cut, and now I see big-name players coming in on massive money. I didn't see too many of them here last season.

"At the end of the season Portsmouth said they were not able to give me a new deal, then all of a sudden they're bringing in people on bigger money than me.

"It's about being wanted but it's also your worth."

I'm not desperate to get away from Portsmouth, and if they want me I'll be back next season

Paul Merson

The 35-year-old, who has also been linked with West Brom, has denied he has held talks with any other clubs.

"I've spoken to Walsall and they are the only club I've spoken to," added Merson.

"Walsall haven't got any money, so it's up to Portsmouth if they want to do a deal."

Merson still lives in the Midlands and is also keen to reduce the amount of travelling he does.

"I'm not desperate to get away from Portsmouth, and if they want me I'll be back next season.

"Harry Redknapp says he wants to keep me but at this time it's also about what's right for me.

"Travelling is a big issue but if it has to be done I'll do it."

Redknapp said on Monday that he had given the former England international permission to speak to Walsall.

Anderton linked with Pompey

The Saddlers are keen to land a player of Merson's quality and experience, but any possible deal would have to be at the right price.

The Saddlers have made a profit in each of the past 11 seasons and are unlikely to abandon their prudent financial policy given that Lee has been ordered to trim the wage bill by £1m.

If Portsmouth are willing to settle Merson's contract, which still has a year to run, the pay-out may allow him to fall in line with Walsall's wage structure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
brighton rock said:
Merson in Walsall talks

The Saddlers have made a profit in each of the past 11 seasons and are unlikely to abandon their prudent financial policy given that Lee has been ordered to trim the wage bill by £1m.

How do they manage to do that, thought that their gates were similar to ours. Does this mean that if we didn't have to pay Ecovert so much we would be in profit. If so, once Falmer's built the sky is realistically the limit, with good management:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here