Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best decision you have ever made?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sliding doors moment for me one Saturday at the Windmill pub. I had been up all the previous night and had little or no sleep and feeling much the worse for wear. A taxi was heading back to my place and offering the sensible option of food and skeep. On the other hand a mate was heading into town and meeting others for a bit of a jolly.

Went out and meet an Australian Shelia who I now live in Australia with after three kids and 12 years of marriage.

Ironically the mate I went into town with met his wife at my leaving party.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
1988, my father had terminal lymphoma and was slowly shrinking and deteriorating. It was December and I'd flown back to Ireland to see him for the weekend.

Just before departing I popped up to his bedroom to say goodbye. He told me that he couldn't bear what he was putting my mum through watching him die slowly day by day and asked me to end it for him. I picked up a pillow and started to smother him, I pushed down more and more and could see him struggle with what little strength he had.

I then stopped, couldn't finish what I'd started and walked out of the bedroom with tears in my eyes. I never saw him again as mum had said they just wanted Christmas together. He died on January 3rd.

Part of me has always felt guilty that I didn't carry out his final request, and that I did it out of cowardice of fear of being arrested for murder rather than to relieve him of the pain and suffering that consumed him.

29 years later I realise I did the right thing, albeit for the wrong reason. Life is precious, but he and my mum did have a last few days together that still give her some solace.

Wow.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
1988, my father had terminal lymphoma and was slowly shrinking and deteriorating. It was December and I'd flown back to Ireland to see him for the weekend.

Just before departing I popped up to his bedroom to say goodbye. He told me that he couldn't bear what he was putting my mum through watching him die slowly day by day and asked me to end it for him. I picked up a pillow and started to smother him, I pushed down more and more and could see him struggle with what little strength he had.

I then stopped, couldn't finish what I'd started and walked out of the bedroom with tears in my eyes. I never saw him again as mum had said they just wanted Christmas together. He died on January 3rd.

Part of me has always felt guilty that I didn't carry out his final request, and that I did it out of cowardice of fear of being arrested for murder rather than to relieve him of the pain and suffering that consumed him.

29 years later I realise I did the right thing, albeit for the wrong reason. Life is precious, but he and my mum did have a last few days together that still give her some solace.

Jesus, what a thing to have lived with.

I agree that you did the right thing, but not that it was for the wrong reason. It's a horrible time, the approaching death of a parent, traumatic for everyone involved. I think that your dad was being unfair to you, asking you to end his life. To have lived with that would have been too much to bear.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I left my ex wife for my present wife in 1991.

Everything that has happened since has proved that doing this was a decision of genius.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Packing up smoking, about 14 ish years ago

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I made sure I didn't leave until I got the blondes number.

I'm marrying her in April,

Marrying .... in the football season, are you sure this counts as a "best" decision?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here