Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best decision you have ever made?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
1988, my father had terminal lymphoma and was slowly shrinking and deteriorating. It was December and I'd flown back to Ireland to see him for the weekend.

Just before departing I popped up to his bedroom to say goodbye. He told me that he couldn't bear what he was putting my mum through watching him die slowly day by day and asked me to end it for him. I picked up a pillow and started to smother him, I pushed down more and more and could see him struggle with what little strength he had.

I then stopped, couldn't finish what I'd started and walked out of the bedroom with tears in my eyes. I never saw him again as mum had said they just wanted Christmas together. He died on January 3rd.

Part of me has always felt guilty that I didn't carry out his final request, and that I did it out of cowardice of fear of being arrested for murder rather than to relieve him of the pain and suffering that consumed him.

29 years later I realise I did the right thing, albeit for the wrong reason. Life is precious, but he and my mum did have a last few days together that still give her some solace.

Brutal story. Sometimes life really does deal you some shit hands. If it helps you did the right thing.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
1988, my father had terminal lymphoma and was slowly shrinking and deteriorating. It was December and I'd flown back to Ireland to see him for the weekend.

Just before departing I popped up to his bedroom to say goodbye. He told me that he couldn't bear what he was putting my mum through watching him die slowly day by day and asked me to end it for him. I picked up a pillow and started to smother him, I pushed down more and more and could see him struggle with what little strength he had.

I then stopped, couldn't finish what I'd started and walked out of the bedroom with tears in my eyes. I never saw him again as mum had said they just wanted Christmas together. He died on January 3rd.

Part of me has always felt guilty that I didn't carry out his final request, and that I did it out of cowardice of fear of being arrested for murder rather than to relieve him of the pain and suffering that consumed him.

29 years later I realise I did the right thing, albeit for the wrong reason. Life is precious, but he and my mum did have a last few days together that still give her some solace.

Its not cowardice to want to hang on to life, his and part of yours.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I think taking my Mum's advice back in March 1997 when she suggested I go and watch the Albion
at the Goldstone, since in her words, "they need every supporter they can get". I was at a loose end.

Oh how my life would have been so relatively empty if I hadn't gone that day.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Scousefan - do you mean a full Prof. as opposed to the *******ised term used by the US academic system
for Lecturer and above?

Yes a full prof - but I prefer not to use the title - so I can't believe my putting it on here! I became a professor via promotion at Liverpool Uni in 2004 and then moved to work (but not live) at Manchester Uni in 2010

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes a full prof - but I prefer not to use the title - so I can't believe my putting it on here! I became a professor via promotion at Liverpool Uni in 2004 and then moved to work (but not live) at Manchester Uni in 2010

A nice story. What are you a professor of?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here