Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings thread Huddersfield?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Think the only two players to come out with any kind of apology are stockers and Murray. Seems that some players only enter social media when we win and don't like to man up and say we were shit when needed.

Just to kind of back up what u are saying DS has tweeted this morning that they weren't anywhere near good enough and thanking those who travelled and deserved better

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale 5 - third goal was poor
Bruno 5 - awful first better second.
Pocgomoli- 6
Duffy - 8 - saved us from humiliation
Dunk - 5 - due to sending off
Knockaert- 4
Norwood- 4
Kayal - 4
Murphy- 4
Hemed - 5
Murray - 5

Sidwell - 6
March - 4
Akpom - 5

I was there. Agree with these marks and comments.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I did think long and hard but don't like giving sub 4's!

Possibly only Harley, Best and Gardner have received one. I just can't abide a lack of effort.

Obika was a lack of ability thing as he tried. Norwood and Murphy also tried........

Agree with your ratings aside from that, but Norwood was definitely a level below Kayal and he didn't deserve a 5. Also has somewhat of an excuse, Norwood does not.

Mar 2, 2014
Think the only two players to come out with any kind of apology are stockers and Murray. Seems that some players only enter social media when we win and don't like to man up and say we were shit when needed.

They don't owe anyone an apology, they were beaten by a better team. We didn't get going, but that had more to do with what they did, than it did with ourselves but I think everyone (who attends matches) would agree that it's a fair criticism to say we start slowly, and that we've been a bit fortunate at times not to be a goal or two down by the time we've started to click.

We're top of the league, with 60 points from 28 games. The players have worked hard to be in this position, and the players deserve our support rather than our expectation of apology from them.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
If you want to have a laugh or chuckle then read the Daily Mirror's player ratings, who I'm guessing were completed either by a child or someone who is visually impaired.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you want to have a laugh or chuckle then read the Daily Mirror's player ratings, who I'm guessing were completed either by a child or someone who is visually impaired.

Van la Parra 9 :lol:

Huddersfield: Ward 6; Smith 7, Hefele 7, Schindler 7, Lowe 6; Mooy 7, Hogg 7; Kachunga 7, Brown 7 (Palmer 71, 8), van La Parra 9 (Lolley 77, 6); Wells 8 (Quaner 83, 6).

Brighton: Stockdale 5; Bruno 5, Duffy 6, Dunk 5, Pocognoli 6; Knockaert 7, Norwood 5, Kayal 5 (Sidwell 46, 6), Murphy 5 (March 63, 6); Hemed 6 (Akpom 63, 6), Murray 6.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Huddersfield: Ward 6; Smith 7, Hefele 7, Schindler 7, Lowe 6; Mooy 7, Hogg 7; Kachunga 7, Brown 7 (Palmer 71, 8), van La Parra 9 (Lolley 77, 6); Wells 8 (Quaner 83, 6).

Brighton: Stockdale 5; Bruno 5, Duffy 6, Dunk 5, Pocognoli 6; Knockaert 7, Norwood 5, Kayal 5 (Sidwell 46, 6), Murphy 5 (March 63, 6); Hemed 6 (Akpom 63, 6), Murray 6.

Knockaert 7 is even more LOL than a 9 for VLP

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I think a fair reflection from the game:
David Stockdale – shipped three in the first half and could only parry Wells’ cross to Kachunga. Didn’t exactly redeem himself after the break, but made a few good stops, notably from Palmer’s drive late on. 4

Bruno – looked rash early on, stuggled against Van La Parra and never offered anything going forward. Better defensively after the break, moving to centre-back after Dunk’s dismissal. 4
Shane Duffy – some good last ditch defensive work that helped stop Huddersfield create more clear cut chances. Blame for the team’s performance should lie elsewhere. 5
Lewis Dunk – remains one of the best centre-backs in the Championship, but this was not his day. Sent off for a second yellow after a strong challenge in the second half. 2
Sebastien Pocognoli – often forced inside due to the movement of Kachunga. Only got forward to put in a cross on one occassion, which won a corner. 4

Anthony Knockaert – Brighton didn’t have the grip on midfield required for him to have an impact. A victim of the lack of control, even if he was partly responsible for it. 3
Oliver Norwood – could not keep hold of the ball and too passive without it, meaning Brown and others received possession in front of the defence. 2
Beram Kayal – a lack of game time among other factors means he is miles off the midfield gladiator we saw last season. 2
Jamie Murphy – his problem was not that he didn’t track back, but more that he didn’t get stuck into Smith and Kachunga when he did. As arguably the quickest player in the team, Brighton could have used him as an outlet in possession. 3

Glenn Murray – did not close defenders down with any intent, meaning Hefele and Schlinder had time on the ball. 3
Tomer Hemed – latched onto Mooy’s backpass to tap home the opener, but otherwise anonymous. 4

Steve Sidwell (on 45) showed some battling qualities and versatility when filling in at right-back. One of the reasons Brighton didn’t concede in the second half. 6
Chuba Akpom (on 63) put himself about and provided more energy than Hemed, but lacked the service to produce anything of substance. 6
Solly March (on 63) – anonymous, but not helped by the long-standing struggles of his fellow midfielders. 4

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Been told before that I shouldn't do player ratings when only watching on TV, taking that into account, here they are:

Stockdale 5
Bruno 4
Duffy 6
Dunk 5
Pocognoli 5
Knockaert 3
Kayal 5
Norwood 1
Murphy 1
Murray 4
Hemed 6

Sidwell 6
March 5
Akpom 5

Glad I wasn't there last night, is not often I say that. Utter disgrace. Feel sorry for those that showed the dedication and commitment to support us, to be served up that pile of shite. Big test Sunday.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I think a fair reflection from the game:
David Stockdale – shipped three in the first half and could only parry Wells’ cross to Kachunga. Didn’t exactly redeem himself after the break, but made a few good stops, notably from Palmer’s drive late on. 4

Bruno – looked rash early on, stuggled against Van La Parra and never offered anything going forward. Better defensively after the break, moving to centre-back after Dunk’s dismissal. 4
Shane Duffy – some good last ditch defensive work that helped stop Huddersfield create more clear cut chances. Blame for the team’s performance should lie elsewhere. 5
Lewis Dunk – remains one of the best centre-backs in the Championship, but this was not his day. Sent off for a second yellow after a strong challenge in the second half. 2
Sebastien Pocognoli – often forced inside due to the movement of Kachunga. Only got forward to put in a cross on one occassion, which won a corner. 4

Anthony Knockaert – Brighton didn’t have the grip on midfield required for him to have an impact. A victim of the lack of control, even if he was partly responsible for it. 3
Oliver Norwood – could not keep hold of the ball and too passive without it, meaning Brown and others received possession in front of the defence. 2
Beram Kayal – a lack of game time among other factors means he is miles off the midfield gladiator we saw last season. 2
Jamie Murphy – his problem was not that he didn’t track back, but more that he didn’t get stuck into Smith and Kachunga when he did. As arguably the quickest player in the team, Brighton could have used him as an outlet in possession. 3

Glenn Murray – did not close defenders down with any intent, meaning Hefele and Schlinder had time on the ball. 3
Tomer Hemed – latched onto Mooy’s backpass to tap home the opener, but otherwise anonymous. 4

Steve Sidwell (on 45) showed some battling qualities and versatility when filling in at right-back. One of the reasons Brighton didn’t concede in the second half. 6
Chuba Akpom (on 63) put himself about and provided more energy than Hemed, but lacked the service to produce anything of substance. 6
Solly March (on 63) – anonymous, but not helped by the long-standing struggles of his fellow midfielders. 4

I agree with this but also find that it isn't always his fault. There are a number of occasions at games that I see Murphy in a good position for the ball to be played and instead the team look for Knockaert. We need to start playing as if both wingers are equal and then we might have a bit more success in these games

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Mooy was a 9 at least. The defence I would give them all 8+ ...I actually agree with van parra. I thought we crapped ourselves every time he ran at us....some of those marks for us are extremely generous. How Norwood got a 5 defies belief.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Bit reluctant to give marks at all we were so dire (as watched on TV).

Yes, Huddersfield were superb but I don't see that as much excuse for basic stuff such as our losing virtually every 50/50 ball, not picking up any second balls, failing to string more than two passes together, terrible first touches almost every time, passing straight to the opposition umpteen times etc.

It was as if we'd forgotten even the basic skills, let alone play as a team.

Reminded me of the Middlesborough match at home last season where we were totally outplayed and lost 3-0.

Luckily they didn't keep that up indefinitely and we recovered well too so I'm still pretty confident of automatic promotion but I'm concerned at our relatively poor performances the past couple of months.

We're picking up the points still, which is great, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we were more controlled as we seemed to be earlier in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Since you mention it. Re Murphy, no he isn't. Although he gets more flak on here, for me, Skalak is better. Defensively he tracks properly, at times Murphy ball watches.

I would also throw in Norwood, who despite having a good range of passing, basically cannot tackle and has not won a 50/50 challenge since he arrived. If you play in midfield as well as doing the 'glory' things such as 50 yard cross field balls, you also need to do the 'dirty' things as well.

Apart from the 50/50 he won which led to the first goal against Sheff Weds?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Stockdale - 3rd goal down to him and distribution poor but some good saves as well. 5
Bruno - Desperate first ten minutes and lucky to be on the pitch. Improved with game time. 5
Duffy - Played as well as he was allowed to. No protection and great movement from Huddersfield made it very difficult. 6
Dunk - Silly red card but hardly the red mist as some are saying. See Duffy for the rest. 5
Pocgnoli - Not really in the game offensively, ok in defence. 5
Murphy - Very little ball to work with offensively but part of a midfield unit that simply failed. 4
Kayal- I hate to say it but he just looked off the pace. Not enough miles yet for this intensity. 3
Norwood - Truly horrible game. Only stayed on the pitch because We had no one else to replace him. 3
Knockaert - Worst I have seen from him. Touch was awful and he got frustrated. 3
Hemed- Well taken goal. Nothing else but the to be fair no service to feed off. 5
Murray - Tried hard and one of our better players on the night, but forced too deep to be effective. 6

Subs

Sidwell - Did pretty well all things considered. 6
March - Difficult to make any impact when he never gets the ball. Innocuous. 4
Akpom - Quick and muscular. Liked what I saw. 7

Manager - Rarely gets it wrong but I feel he did last night. Huddersfields game depends on the dominance of the central midfield area. We lost this this hands down and we're on the back foot from the start. We should have overloaded this area and played one up front I think. Hindsight I know.

Please do not put up excuses for yourself you are right in your comments or the management at the club, Huddersfield would have been scouted and observed before this match, intelligence gleaned and a match plan and strategy put in place. We are not a pub team turning out of a weekend against a team we have no knowledge of. The manager is the one who takes the can for this and that showed with his non attendance for interview after the match, our club has a lot of resource and should have had acted on it, it was clear to most on this site that the set up was wrong within five minutes of kick off, it took our manager however forty five minutes to sort it out. Stockdales poor performance was hidden by an overall diabolical performance but they played to a game plan set out by CH, that said some of the players should have stood up last night but were just not able to deal with the intensity. Thought Tomer did well, took the goal with skill but never received the service,should have stayed on in my opinion.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apart from the 50/50 he won which led to the first goal against Sheff Weds?

If you buy enough tickets you might win £25 on the lottery. Was it 50/50 though?

Edit - just watched it looked like he mis-controlled it, and then rescued it with a slide tackle, certainly not 50/50 imo.

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I agree with this but also find that it isn't always his fault. There are a number of occasions at games that I see Murphy in a good position for the ball to be played and instead the team look for Knockaert. We need to start playing as if both wingers are equal and then we might have a bit more success in these games

Very good point, but again this is down to the managers instructions and the game plan, we saw it with Gus and getting the ball to Vicente. WE're top of the league, a target for every team in the division we need to change our thinking and that starts with the manager, I don't see many scoring him on this thread because he would be down amongst the one and two's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here