Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petition to support Trump's visit to the UK

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
One for the UKIP supporters to jump on and support so that good old Farage can join Trump on the top table.

I suspect when he comes over he will be swamped by the estimates from our builders for the wall.

Just wonder how many millions will take to the streets in protest.

And as for the wall, just what is so wrong about trying to prevent illegal immigrants flooding into your country? Seems to me that a wall is the obvious solution as nothing else seems to work. I honestly cannot understand the opposition to this one.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would recommend that we put to him a list of things that he has done that we don't agree with and offer a different way of doing things.

If that fails I will stop the traffic in Brighton during rush hour and wave a homemade placard. Hope you approve of this.

Think I prefer the status quo.

Waiting for the wise arse quip from someone.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm surprised you even bothered reading it to notice. I gave up when I got to UKIP. :shrug:

It was after reading his comments about UKIP, then clapping a post and his comment "intelligence not a strong point for Trump supporters "
Then putting up a post with mistakes....

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Signed. I do not agree with what he is doing, but I believe that diplomacy is a far better way to resolve difference of opinions than childish withdrawal of invitations.

Leaders from other countries are flying in and out of the UK all the time to discuss business - it's the "state visit" part that the original petition objects to. I.e. him being given banquets in his honour, parades etc. The petition specifically acknowledges that as president of the USA it'd be foolish to completely disengage with him.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
And as for the wall, just what is so wrong about trying to prevent illegal immigrants flooding into your country? Seems to me that a wall is the obvious solution as nothing else seems to work. I honestly cannot understand the opposition to this one.

I believe there is footage where both Bill and Hilary talk about putting up a wall. Seems some thoughts and ideas by Clinton's and Obama have been carried out, but because Trump has done it........

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Had hoped there would be one. Time to stick two fingers up at the lefties and support the visit from the leader of the world's largest DEMOCRACY.

Petition: Donald Trump should make a State Visit to the United Kingdom.
petition.parliament.uk
Donald Trump should be invited to make an official State Visit because he is the leader of a free world and U.K. is a country that supports free speech and does not believe that people that appose our point of view should be gagged.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

Sign away!

I don't mind him coming here on a standard visit, I object to him being fast tracked in to a meeting with the Queen and then lecturing Parliament on Donald Trump..... he can have a State Visit when he has earned it and not just because May wants to crawl up his arse for a deal,any deal.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Leaders from other countries are flying in and out of the UK all the time to discuss business - it's the "state visit" part that the original petition objects to. I.e. him being given banquets in his honour, parades etc. The petition specifically acknowledges that as president of the USA it'd be foolish to completely disengage with him.

I agree with your point. However, state banquets are what we give to visiting presidents of the USA due to our special relationship. I think the bond between our two nations should not be ditched just yet because of some fool who has been elected as president.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I agree with your point. However, state banquets are what we give to visiting presidents of the USA due to our special relationship. I think the bond between our two nations should not be ditched just yet because of some fool who has been elected as president.

Can we wait until we elect someone as our leader first before we resume it?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Poor research.

India is the world's largest democracy.

Not everyone thinks so:

INDIA is not a democracy.

By definition democracy is a form of government that is Of The People, By The People and For The People. Theoretically it empowers people. It is governance which takes the people’s views and needs into cognizance. The ideal behind the theory believed that if citizens were stakeholders in decisions, it would lead to better societies and higher prosperity and happiness.

Alas! In India, often called the World’s Largest Democracy (because of the sheer number of people who are listed voters), the actual functioning of the ideal of democracy could not be further away from reality.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

It's not "usual" to give a state visit to a US president, and certainly not before the second or third year of their first term. This seems poor psychology on May's part, handing over the ultimate accolade in Trump's first week.

Richard Nixon: 1969 Visited one month after inauguration; no state visit
Barack Obama: 2009 Visited two months after inauguration; state visit after 28 months
George Bush: 1989 Visited four months after inauguration; no state visit
John F Kennedy: 1961 Visited five months after inauguration; no state visit
George W Bush: 2001 Visited six months after inauguration; state visit after 32 months
Source: US embassy in the UK

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's not "usual" to give a state visit to a US president, and certainly not before the second or third year of their first term. This seems poor psychology on May's part, handing over the ultimate accolade in Trump's first week.

Richard Nixon: 1969 Visited one month after inauguration; no state visit
Barack Obama: 2009 Visited two months after inauguration; state visit after 28 months
George Bush: 1989 Visited four months after inauguration; no state visit
John F Kennedy: 1961 Visited five months after inauguration; no state visit
George W Bush: 2001 Visited six months after inauguration; state visit after 32 months
Source: US embassy in the UK

Ah, but her Majesty is knocking on a bit now, so the process has been fast tracked.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or else these people decided that signing a misspelled petition to express their feelings was better than signing no petition at all. That mightn't occur to clever-sides guardianistas of course; they just prefer to sneer. Go on sneering, the silent majority will go on doing what's best for this country.

I am not in favour of banning Trump, but when someone creates an online public petition of this sort (which I support in spirit) it doesn't look great when the bloody thing has a typo in it. In fact it is more than a typo; a and o are nowhere near each other on the keyboard - the originator clearly thinks this is the correct word. If you purport to lecture others, fuelled by your better insight and wisdom, it does not further your cause by writing like a chav.

(I'll stand by, now, for examples of my egregious typos, missing letters especially, in various rants I've posted on here, particularly after the taking of drink :wrong::lolol: .... albeit, I'll admit being a careless typist, and I'll not get all shirty and try to defend it; context and that :whistle: )

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not everyone thinks so:

INDIA is not a democracy.

By definition democracy is a form of government that is Of The People, By The People and For The People. Theoretically it empowers people. It is governance which takes the people’s views and needs into cognizance. The ideal behind the theory believed that if citizens were stakeholders in decisions, it would lead to better societies and higher prosperity and happiness.

Alas! In India, often called the World’s Largest Democracy (because of the sheer number of people who are listed voters), the actual functioning of the ideal of democracy could not be further away from reality.

As opposed to the USA where more people voted for H. Clinton, yet Trump wins the presidency?
Or the UK where 4.5 million people vote UKIP and they get 1 MP, another 4.5 million vote SNP and they get 56 MP's?

Yoda

English & European

Yes, but why can't he be treated the same as Bush & Obama before him? Have his state visit two years into his presidency rather than two weeks. At least make him prove he's a leader worthy of one, rather than just pucker up to his orange backside in hope he'll offer us good trade deals. And on that note, what makes people think we'll get a fair deal? The guy is a business man who has promised to put the USA's priorities first in everything.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Or else these people decided that signing a misspelled petition to express their feelings was better than signing no petition at all. That mightn't occur to clever-sides guardianistas of course; they just prefer to sneer. Go on sneering, the silent majority will go on doing what's best for this country.

Yep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here