Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this going to improve the game

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Say a player gets sin-binned for 10 minutes, what happens if then a player gets injured and needs treatment, which takes 10 minutes? Is the sin-binned player allowed back on the field?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I guess it would cut a lot of the needless yellows out (ie back chatting, time wasting). Not sure i'm for it though.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It'll cut out of lot of needless yellow cards for a lot of needless sin bins, nothing will change appalling refereeing.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
No, things are fine as they are. This could lead to regular 10-minute spells of bus parking as teams wait for players to get back on the pitch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Say a player gets sin-binned for 10 minutes, what happens if then a player gets injured and needs treatment, which takes 10 minutes? Is the sin-binned player allowed back on the field?

No - that's the risk you take surely?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think it's a great idea.

Serves them right, no? Why would they be allowed back on? Feck me we didn't get any concessions up at Hillsborough when we had four players go off injured.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz

I would have thought no, otherwise there would be an increase in feigned injurys.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Definitely a good thing. As an ex ref this would help immensely. It would stop all the backchat and niggly fouls in the box. The offenders team mates would soon get the hump if the same player is binned to often. This could also be used against divers as well to eradicate that from the game

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Following up on my last comment about time wasting, this scenario proves it could be a dud idea:

So it's 90 mins up, 6 mins of injury time announced, and the keeper of the team that has the result it needs takes a little while to take a goal kick. The ref decides he's time wasting, off he goes for the remainder of the game, massive advantage to the other side that's chasing the game. Booking a goalie for time wasting is not black and white, refs seem to make random judgements on it.

Based on my case study, I think the sin bin idea could have flaws!

Last edited:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Following up on my last comment about time wasting, this scenario proves it could be a dud idea:

So it's 90 mins up, 6 mins of injury time announced, and the keeper of team that has the result it needs takes a little while to take a goal kick. The ref decides he's time wasting, off he goes for the remainder of the game, massive advantage to the other side that's chasing the game. Booking a goalie for time wasting is not black and white, refs seem to make random judgements on it.

I think that is a great example of where this would work! What keeper will waste time???!!!! They always get a warning before any action is taken anyway. Time wasting is one of the few areas of the game that i'd like to see addressed. It drives me crazy. Sheff Wed and Cardiff at home prime examples.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

So it's 90 mins up, 6 mins of injury time announced, and the keeper of the team that has the result it needs takes a little while to take a goal kick. The ref decides he's time wasting, off he goes for the remainder of the game, massive advantage to the other side that's chasing the game. Booking a goalie for time wasting is not black and white, refs seem to make random judgements on it.

in ice hockey a non-gk is substituted for the goalkeeper in the "sin-bin" when the gk commits the infraction. Two infractions is an automatic red card.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I think it's a great idea.

Serves them right, no? Why would they be allowed back on? Feck me we didn't get any concessions up at Hillsborough when we had four players go off injured.

Not sure I was that clear. The player would be allowed back on because the 10 minutes has passed, even though it was 10 minutes of treatment. Is the 10 minutes, '10 minutes when the ball is in play'? Otherwise there will be an increase in feigned injuries and time wasting.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I think that is a great example of where this would work! What keeper will waste time???!!!! They always get a warning before any action is taken anyway. Time wasting is one of the few areas of the game that i'd like to see addressed. It drives me crazy. Sheff Wed and Cardiff at home prime examples.

I agree with you - but there would need to be consistency amongst refs as to how much time is time wasting, otherwise teams could get shafted and others get away with it.

Pretty much like it is now really!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What about a free for all after a bad tackle such as the game against Sheff Wed Murray got sent off, there was pushing and shoving all over the place stockdale would have got one, and several others.

How many can get binned at once ? that could lead to six aside which might be fun as long as you dont looooose obviously

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Not sure I was that clear. The player would be allowed back on because the 10 minutes has passed, even though it was 10 minutes of treatment. Is the 10 minutes, '10 minutes when the ball is in play'? Otherwise there will be an increase in feigned injuries and time wasting.

The ref would have to have a separate timer for the sin-bin and stop that when he starts the timer than adds injury time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here