Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer madness

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
They have all been bang at it today. Didn't think a striker was Wednesdays problem especially in the 2 games we played against them. Light at CB and there wingers seemed poor and there was not a great deal of creativity. I personally think they would be higher in the table is they had attempted to get someone like Duffy at CB rather than keep blowing massive amounts of money on wages and transfer fees on strikers.

And that's what they were saying on their forum after we beat them the other week .

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Absolutely ridiculous that many clubs think that spend spend spend means success and you can add villa to that ever growing list.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
To be fair Fletcher is crap. Probably the most one footed striker we will ever see playing football. Take him out and they have 4 which is the same as us.

They don't though. Their own squad site lists EIGHT strikers already (Rhodes will make nine). Fletcher, Hooper, Winnall, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Matias, Lucas Joao, Moudou Sougou (me neither). http://www.swfc.co.uk/team/

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
To be fair Fletcher is crap. Probably the most one footed striker we will ever see playing football. Take him out and they have 4 which is the same as us.

Except theirs will have cost about £20 million in transfer fees, plus they will still be paying what I assume would be exorbitant wages for Fletcher however poor he is, while ours cost about £5 million (maybe slightly more) and most of that was from Murray's fee today.

They also have Nuhui and have just loaned our Lucas Joao. Seems excessive to me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If he scores sufficient goals for them to win the play offs it will be a good investment if not he is ready for next year or can be sold to somebody wanting the same at virtually what he cost Wednesday so to me it is good business.

Give it up, BG. It's a dreadful strategy. They will fail FFP if they don't go up this season and, at the moment, they're far from guaranteed of even making the play-offs. We could even have bought Rhodes and stayed within FFP but, instead, rather than listening to you about the qualities of Rhodes and the imputed importance of his goals, we've bought Murray (15 goals already this season) and got a promising young striker on loan for the rest of the season.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Except theirs will have cost about £20 million in transfer fees, plus they will still be paying what I assume would be exorbitant wages for Fletcher however poor he is, while ours cost about £5 million (maybe slightly more) and most of that was from Murray's fee today.

They also have Nuhui and have just loaned our Lucas Joao. Seems excessive to me.

I'm wondering if they are aiming for auto's or just to trying to make sure they don't slip out of the playoffs. Even if us and Newcastle fall they will still have a tough time keeping up with Leeds Hudds and Reading. Auto's would be a miracle in their position.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Give it up, BG. It's a dreadful strategy. They will fail FFP if they don't go up this season and, at the moment, they're far from guaranteed of even making the play-offs. We could even have bought Rhodes and stayed within FFP but, instead, rather than listening to you about the qualities of Rhodes and the imputed importance of his goals, we've bought Murray (15 goals already this season) and got a promising young striker on loan for the rest of the season.

Rhodes would have been a success for us though. If we went up and he scored one goal (from one yard out), it would have been a success.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Don't think Burnley will be in anytime soon for Dale Stephens, as they've just signed Robbie Brady (yet another midfielder) from Norwich for £10.5mill!

If they hadn't pissed around with what they had offered, and the amount of offers, I reckon we would have sold for £8 Mill at the time!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm wondering if they are aiming for auto's or just to trying to make sure they don't slip out of the playoffs. Even if us and Newcastle fall they will still have a tough time keeping up with Leeds Hudds and Reading. Auto's would be a miracle in their position.

Hard to see the autos. Not only were they 12 and 14 points behind us and Newcastle at the start of the night but there's also a number of teams in a better position to take advantage if either of us slip. So you are gambling on winning the play offs and no player can guarantee that.

I wonder if Winnall would have gone there if he'd known they were going to spend so much on Rhodes.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
To be fair to Wednesday, I've just seen they've loaned out Lucas Joao and Sougou. So that'll just be the SEVEN strikers in the squad for now.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
They have all been bang at it today. Didn't think a striker was Wednesdays problem especially in the 2 games we played against them. Light at CB and there wingers seemed poor and there was not a great deal of creativity. I personally think they would be higher in the table is they had attempted to get someone like Duffy at CB rather than keep blowing massive amounts of money on wages and transfer fees on strikers.

It's does feel like the recruitment team all grew up with football manager doesn't it?!

Very few of us would ever look for that brilliant CB instead of going after a marquee signing ( or 5) upfront

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't see Wednesday catching us but bear in mind they still have Newcastle, Reading, Derby and Leeds to play so happy if they are strong enough to take points of that lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here